Tripod

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone have a dog lose a hindleg? Our Karly popped her ACL and turns out she has bone cancer in the upper part of the tibia. She's in for amputation as I write this. Just wondering what she might be in for. She's almost 10 and older than any other Rott I've had in 30 yrs, so it was a hard decision to put her through this. She'll have a course of 6 chemo treatments after healing from surgery.

I've seen in person and on TV, 'tripods' that got along quite well.

I had a friend with an amputee mutt, and I was continually surprised when I saw a photo of them together, because I kept forgetting it was a three-legged dog. It acted like a normal dog. I don't know at what age the amputation happened or what the recovery time was.

When I go for my regular run in the local park, I sometimes see a woman with a dog that is a double amputee. His hindquarters are strapped onto a contraption that looks like a little skateboard, and he accompanies her on a walk using only his front legs.

I've never talked to her about it, but the dog seems happy enough.

i see tripods at the doggy park all the time. they just get on with it and have a great
time w/ all the other dogs..

Should be fine, but the adjustment for an older dog is harder, especially a large breed like a Rottie. Be sure to keep her weight as low as possible and prepare for a slow rebound. I've seen plenty of three legged dogs, especially in our rescue. Younger is obviously easier, but I hope your Karly makes a full recovery and the chemo is successful.

Thanks. She's a big girl (108#, prop wt.). Last night was quite a challenge. Just getting her out of the back of the Landcruiser onto her bed. She was a little groggy, anxious, in some pain, not willing to get up, so peed in place a couple of times. Trying to keep her dry and clean, comfortable, calm, warm (she's outside - fenced in patio), not stressing her too much with trying to get her up and out on the lawn to do her business, hoping she'll cooperate when she feels able. She did move twice on her own at some point, when I checked on in after midnight and again around 3 AM she had relocated, so I know she is capable. Clearly, it is going to be a slow recovery.

Here is a big cheer, hoping your pooch get mobile and agile again.

Al & Tigger, thanks for the links. The "what to expect after surgery" list is spot on.

Wanted to give you the sad final update. Karly seemed to lose her ability to get up and support herself. We worked with the vet for a few weeks on it, but it was clear she was going to be totally dependent on us for getting out to the yard and back to the patio where bed was. Although she was still happy to be with us, her life sucked. Then last Friday she got pretty sick. She was in pain and really suffering. We couldn't help her anymore, so we had to do the really hard thing and let her go. Still grieving.

Attachments

• 100_0022.jpg
    100_0022.jpg
    892.6 KB · Views: 1
I am so sorry Ronin. She looks like a wonderful dog. I know you are very sad.

Ha

Oh man. I'm sorry. You did what you could. Take care.

Sorry Ronin. Too bad my optimism did not hold. Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom