Join Early Retirement Today

Troglodyte seeks info on IM
Old 01-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Troglodyte seeks info on IM

Ok, I'm too lazy to figure this out on my own, I admit.

I've never used IM in any form, but now DW insists that I have to. So, some questions:

How do I set it up? Is this something I get from my ISP, or off some web site?

I'm aware of AOL IM, & have the impression that they're the most implemented, but do you have to subscribe to AOL internet service itself to use it, or is this a standalone web app?

What other IM apps are there, & how do they stack up?

Is one IM compatable with another - can I chat with someone if I'm using XYZ IM & they're using AOL?

Features? What do you like/dislike?

I could ask a kid for help, but don't have one laying around. Figure you guys are the next best thing...

THX===
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Troglodyte seeks info on IM
Old 01-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bobot, I like Trillian myself. It works with AIM and a number of other IM services.

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

You can get a screen name and password from aim.com or messenger.yahoo.com.

Coach

Old 01-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know your situation, but are you SURE you want to do this?

I have IM at work and it's a CONSTANT interruption. A real PITA. Why would you want to do that to yourself unless the boss made you do it?

(And yes, I know your wife IS the boss... but seriously. Too much technology -- it's running our lives!!)

Caroline (aka "the Luddite")
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It'd help if you could explain what your wifes expectations are of your IM ability.

Does she want to IM you on a cell phone? Does she want you to IM her on her phone? Another device? A PC? Bidirectional or just one way?

Chances are you can just use a web interface to send and a simple client you may already have (msn instant messenger) to receive.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never "got" the advantage of IM over regular e-mail. You can set your e-mail to check the server once a minute if you like, you're not limited to message length, and you have a backup record of your communication. If I needed to IM a cell phone instead of calling it, I'd just go one of those sites where you can send IMs to phones on line.

I tried computer IMs for about three days and after the first 15 minutes I got sick of the constant beeeping and booping and feeling like someone was waiting with bated breath on the other end.. I'd be trying to type, and the person on the other end would keep beeping and booping "where are you?" and there was always a lot of annoying simultaneous cross-messaging. Also, I never really got the correct etiquette/sense of "can this exchange now be over?".. it'd required a minuet of several IMs to wind down gracefully.

If I need real-time communication I just pick up the phone. It's way easier.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I'm a little embarrassed that I even asked; it turned out to be easy after all.
The only reason I went to IM is we're on a still dial-up connection here at home - now my "office" - and the bacon-bringer-homer was frustrated with not being able to ping me while I fiddled spent quality time on-line.

ANyway, here I am a little closer to the XXI century; & I won't divulge my IM ID to but a chosen few.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
I never "got" the advantage of IM over regular e-mail. You can set your e-mail to check the server once a minute if you like, you're not limited to message length, and you have a backup record of your communication. If I needed to IM a cell phone instead of calling it, I'd just go one of those sites where you can send IMs to phones on line.

I tried computer IMs for about three days and after the first 15 minutes I got sick of the constant beeeping and booping and feeling like someone was waiting with bated breath on the other end.. I'd be trying to type, and the person on the other end would keep beeping and booping "where are you?" and there was always a lot of annoying simultaneous cross-messaging. Also, I never really got the correct etiquette/sense of "can this exchange now be over?".. it'd required a minuet of several IMs to wind down gracefully.

If I need real-time communication I just pick up the phone. It's way easier.
I like IM, I always have it on when I am at the computer and usually have 2 or 3 casual and frequently interrupted conversations going on. Great way to stay in touch with one's adult children.

Ha