MONDAY.  IF AND WHEN IT DOES SO... IT WILL TIE THE RECORD OF 21
NAMED STORMS SET IN 1933.

030504W_sm.gif

030504P_sm.gif

And the gulf is nice and warm-
SST.GIF

Re: Tropical Depression 24

Depression 24 is now known as Wilma.

1933 was the lowest point of the Great Depression. 25% unemployment. With 21 named hurricanes, they were probably thinking "great, what else could possibly go wrong." And then they had drought and a plague of locusts....

From wunderground

(162 knots is 186 mph)

OCT 18, 2005 / 11:48AM SPECIAL URGENT UPDATE #4

RECON JUST REACHED. WILMA IT IS AN UNBELIEVABLE SUPER CAT 5 --> 901MB, WITH 162kts!!!!

OVER A 50mb DROP IN 5 HOURS - THE SAME RATE AS RITA. 2 MORE HOURS OF THIS IT COULD EASILY BREAK THE ALL TIME
RECORD LOW PRESSURE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN OF 888MB.

IMAGERY SUPPORTS THIS. And the 850mb height was reported at 516 meters. The pressure reading was extyrapolated -- and we should see a dropsonde reading shortly.

I will continue to update this section during the next hour.

Steve

Flying with the wife and kids down to Orlando tomorrow (Seaworld) and returning Sunday. [We took em to Manhattan the other summer and left the day before the big blackout]. We'll see if our luck holds. Me hopes thinks it will stay south. :)

Good luck Targa Dave. Shouldnt be a biggie for Orlando on Sunday... maybe a shower but by then you'll be headed home.

Here on the NC coast we are hoping our cooling sea temps will take Wilma's breath away.

don't forget to bring home the mouse ears!

BUM

So now Wilma is now the "Strongest Hurricane ever seen in the Atlantic" (according to MSNBC).

Maybe it's time to say "Gee, maybe there is something to this global warming thing. We should ratify the Kyoto dohickey, and get on the stick."

TromboneAl said:
So now Wilma is now the "Strongest Hurricane ever seen in the Atlantic" (according to MSNBC). 

Maybe it's time to say "Gee, maybe there is something to this global warming thing.  We should ratify the Kyoto dohickey, and get on the stick."

Godless commie bastard! Hang your head in shame!

(Incidentally, I hear communists have access to the nicest beavers...)

From wunderground
There has never been a hurricane like Wilma before. With an unbelievable round of intensification that saw the pressure drop 87 mb in just 12 hours, Wilma smashed the all-time record for lowest pressure in an Atlantic hurricane this morning. The 4 am hurricane hunter report put the pressure at 882 mb, easily besting the previous record of 888 mb set in Hurricane Gilbert of 1988. Since no hurricane hunter airplane has been in the eye since then, Wilma may be even stronger now. The eye diameter of Wilma during this round of intensification shrunk as low as 2 nautical miles, which may be the smallest eye diameter ever measured in a tropical cyclone. The only eye I could find close to that small in the records was a 3 nm one, the Category 4 Typhoon Jeliwat in 2000. It's amazing the hurricane hunters were even able to penetrate the eye--it's really tough to hit a 2 mile wide eye when you're flying crabbed over at a 30 degree yaw angle fighting horizontal flight level winds of 185 mph and severe turbulence. This is an incredibly compact, amazingly intense hurricane, the likes of which has never been seen in the Atlantic. The Hurricane Season of 2005 keeps topping itself with new firsts, and now boasts three of the five most intense hurricanes of all time--Katrina, Rita, and Wilma.

We had friends flying in for a long weekend tomorrow from south FL. They've cancelled; I'm disappointed but don't blame them.

Back
Top Bottom