Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #41

During Irma, we took a long steady beating at TS force with gusts for at least 12 hours. Many of my garden shrubs looked stripped bare the next morning, and leaf shreds clotted up a lot of areas. But they all grew back.

I have several cassia trees which never fully recovered as they all took too much of a lean after all those hours. But it's not a wind-friendly tree so I know it was a gamble when I grew them.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 06:05 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is supposed to be right off our coast at the moment, but other than a little wind and cloudy skies, one would never know it. No rain.... "Yet", but that is forecast. We have not walked down to the beach to take a look.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:20 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
It is supposed to be right off our coast at the moment, but other than a little wind and cloudy skies, one would never know it. No rain.... "Yet", but that is forecast. We have not walked down to the beach to take a look.

Yeah, it looks like most of the wind and rain is out in the ocean, on the east side of the rotation, as you would expect. It's supposed to gain some strength today and make landfall near the SC/NC border later - they may feel more effects of this than Florida did.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:40 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Thinking of those ER forum members who are or were in the path of Hurricane Isaias, and hoping that they and their communities are OK.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thinking of those ER forum members who are or were in the path of Hurricane Isaias, and hoping that they and their communities are OK.

So far a lot of rain, some wind and tornado and flash flood warnings. A good day to stay indoors.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Northerners stay safe!

For us they were and are predicting high winds and a lot of rain, but in fact we got very little, today looks like a good beach day in fact.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #47
Administrator

The storm is barreling up the coast to New England. Being right on the coast and on the east side of the storm, I expect we'll get wind gusts exceeding 50 mph this afternoon. I brought all my potted tomatoes and eggplants into the garage last night, took down my hanging plants, and have laid down all the porch furniture (rockers on their side, tables upside down). My only concerns, as always, are the very large maple trees that surround my house.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The storm is barreling up the coast to New England. Being right on the coast and on the east side of the storm, I expect we'll get wind gusts exceeding 50 mph this afternoon. I brought all my potted tomatoes and eggplants into the garage last night, took down my hanging plants, and have laid down all the porch furniture (rockers on their side, tables upside down). My only concerns, as always, are the very large maple trees that surround my house.
Thinking of you and hoping for the best! Actually your location looks like it is going to get really hammered, and thoughts of you and your DW are what inspired me to revive this thread. Glad you are bringing in some of the potential missiles.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Wow, looked like it barreled right over Washington DC and Philadelphia still with 70mph winds!
Old 08-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

we survived here on Patuxent River, friend up the bay didn't though, tree THROUGH house.. waterspout!
We got 6" of rain.
f35phixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Here in inland NC, we did fine. Winter storms have been worse. We got a lot of rain: 3.2" at my gauge. However, the state overall was not slammed with much more. Some flooding will occur, but nothing massive like previous storms.

The biggest impact is due to a tornado that spun up, and there is damage right on the coast at ground zero of the landing.

For those affected, it is bad, and my heart is with them. Overall, NC did OK.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thinking of you and hoping for the best! Actually your location looks like it is going to get really hammered, and thoughts of you and your DW are what inspired me to revive this thread. Glad you are bringing in some of the potential missiles.
As it turns out, we had wind gusts up above 60 mph. Major tree damage in my neighborhood, with trees down for at least half the houses on my street. We had a big limb snap off one of the maples in front of the house. It dealt a glancing blow to the porch - knocked the railing askew and pushed out a few balusters, as well as denting the copper gutter in a couple places. Lucky for us, that was the worst of it. I have spent the last four hours lopping and chopping and sawing and gathering and piling. My neighbor and I cleared the fall in front of my house and then cleared a fall right next to his garage. We have huge piles of logs and leaves out in front of our houses. I'll probably help the neighbor on the other side tomorrow. Two big maples snapped off and fell on his garage. Right now he has a small army of his son's friends there helping to clean up. But it's getting dark, so there will be much more to do tomorrow. Having all these trees is nice for keeping our houses cool and helps make the neighborhood an inviting one, but there is a price to pay when we get these big cyclonic storms.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Here west of Philly there were power outages in places, but fortunately not for us. A lot of rain and wind, but no damage. I heard there was a lot of flooding in the area of streets.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It came through here this morning, knocked out power around 10:30. It came back on around 2 pm or so. Rained enough to make the swimming pool overflow. A limb from a locust tree came down on one of the sheds, but didn't do any damage.

The sun came out by early afternoon, but we've had intermittent fits of rain here and there.

The biggest casualty though, is that it seems like the power outage messed up the Verizon Fios DVR. It won't let me record anything, and everything that had been recorded on it is not showing up. So, I'm wondering if the hard drive fried.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I had gone to our beach house in MD for some neglected maintenance this past weekend. Pulled a van full of weeds, added salt to the regen system, planted 3 crape myrtles trees, things like that. Left DW home with the dogs. I didn't watch any TV or even read any internet news, so was quite surprised to be awakened at 7 this morning by my phone beeping about a tornado warning. We had massive wind and a fair amount of rain. Trees down all over the place, although my crape myrtles survived. They're pretty small. But a potted clematis weighing at least 50 lbs blew all the way across the yard, and a canopy on the back deck was shredded. Lots of leaf and branch debris. A couple of neighbors lost some shingles. Luckily most of my deck furniture was already battened down since we'd been gone for a month.

I was caught with my pants down on this one, and consider myself lucky to have gotten off so easily. I guess I should check in on the news once or twice a week.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:09 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Wow, best of luck with the cleanup. Glad you are safe!
Old 08-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #57
Administrator

Here we are less than 24 hours after the storm ran through, knocking out power to half the town. We took a very early run out to our garden to see that the corn was mostly knocked flat. Then, we worked hard to add all the smaller but much more numerous fallen branches to the existing big brush pile in the front of the house that we had created yesterday in clearing the very large limb that fell on the porch and across the front walk. Our neighbor with the two trees atop his garage had a couple friends come over with big chainsaws early this morning. By noon, he had everything chopped up in 18 inch lengths and taken out to the curb, along with all the smaller brush that his son and friends took out late yesterday. We got a text from the town emergency system at noon that they would be picking up debris over the next days and weeks. By 1 pm, the back hoe/front end loader and dump trucks had come down our street and picked up everyone's logs and brush. It's times like this when I feel I really do get value from those high property taxes.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #58
Administrator

Glad to hear everyone is fine, there was no flooding and damage was not severe. I grew up in Ct and the maple trees in the front yard are one of my fondest memories.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote