Trouble cancelling Bay Alarm Medical service

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My DM used a Bay Alarm Medical alert system for four years, and the service seemed good. She never had to press her button for an emergency, but the system worked fine whenever we tested it, and we also got auto-calls and emails whenever the power to the base unit was interrupted.

Near the end of September we moved her into a retirement community that provides an alert button, so I called Bay Alarm to cancel her service. The rep sent me an email with a cancellation form at the bottom of the email message and instructions to return the signed form, which I promptly did. He also told me I did not need to return the equipment because it was outdated, so I could just e-cycle it.

As it turned out, that was the wrong form, and Bay Alarm neither cancelled the service nor contacted me about the incorrect form. I didn't know the service was still active until the beginning of November when I got an auto-call about the base unit being disconnected. Which was strange because we'd disconnected it at the end of September. Called them again, and the rep said he'd stop the auto-calls and make sure the cancellation went through.

But then a week later I got another auto-call. Called again and was finally told about the incorrect form. The correct form should have been sent as an email attachment. The rep sent another form (using the same email that had a form at the bottom...whatever...). But it turned out to be the wrong form again because it said I had to return the equipment. So, another phone call, and I finally got what should be the correct form, e-signed and returned it, verified again that they did not want their equipment back, and was assured all was well.

During all this I'd been put on many "brief" holds of 20-30 minutes each, for a total of 2-1/2 hours on the phone. I used some of that hold time to check out Bay Alarm on the BBB website. There were quite a few complaints there about cancellation troubles. I'll be posting there too if DM's credit card gets charged for another quarter's service this month. Or if Bay Alarm demands that I return their equipment, which is long gone. Had I know all this would happen, I would have kept it for a while just in case.

One would think that just not paying the bill (i.e., contesting it on the credit card) would be simpler and easier that dealing with those incompetents. After spending the amount of time that you have, I'd have been done with them a while ago.

And if they want their equipment back I'd tell 'em to pound sand and why. If that causes a ding on your DM's credit, does anyone think that would matter in the slightest at this point? I sure don't.

One would think that just not paying the bill (i.e., contesting it on the credit card) would be simpler and easier that dealing with those incompetents. After spending the amount of time that you have, I'd have been done with them a while ago.

And if they want their equipment back I'd tell 'em to pound sand and why. If that causes a ding on your DM's credit, does anyone think that would matter in the slightest at this point? I sure don't.

The quarterly bill had already been paid in August. One of the reps said they'd honor the date of the original cancellation and credit back one month of service to DM's card. Another rep said they could not do that. I requested a credit in my last email correspondence, so we'll see what happens.

Judging from the posts on the BBB site, Bay Alarm will send an account to collections if they want their equipment back and you don't send it. DM's credit is probably pretty trashed anyway because she keeps missing CC payments and won't let me set those up on auto-pay. But I wouldn't want her to start getting calls from a collection agency. That might be a good scenario for her to get scammed by some other caller.

Bay Alarm Medical saw my review on Google and got back to me about this. Gjenes from Customer Care expressed his concern regarding my difficulties cancelling and also got the payment refunded for the month after the cancellation.

One thing that might have helped this situation would've been sending them a copy of the POA doc when I signed my mom up for the service. As it was, I didn't send it until I'd contacted them after realizing the service was still active. Gjenes said they won't cancel service without it, but no one told me that when I first tried to cancel. I don't know if that was due to a lack of training for the service reps or the company trying to pocket an extra month or so of payment from customers who won't hound them.

Back
Top Bottom