Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Trying to Help a Friend with a Projection TV......
Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Trying to Help a Friend with a Projection TV......

One of my best friends is pretty pissed. He got a 55 inch projection TV from a contest he won 5 years ago. All of a sudden, the red projection bulb went. He called Samsung and they told him the set was discontinued and they couldn't get him a new bulb.

Any ideas where one could find a projection bulb, maybe an obscure website where hard to find things can be found? He did some checking on the Internet but no luck. Without it, the TV is toast.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Any ideas where one could find a projection bulb, maybe an obscure website where hard to find things can be found? He did some checking on the Internet but no luck. Without it, the TV is toast.........
The best way I have found to locate replacement parts for just about anything is to just google the part number. Anything from a replacement water filter for the fridge to a new fan for my oven/microwave combo was an easy find. If there is not a part number, try using the model number and "replacement parts" or "projection bulb".
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

EBay might work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REAR-PROJECTION-...3%3A1|294%3A50
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've got a similar problem with needing a new remote control unit for a tv i bought 4yrs ago,seems the company (Sylvania) doesnt make or stock parts for this tv any longer,I've tried 3 different universal remotes but they dont seem to work on this tv.So the tv has been added to the mountain of useless electronic junk thats accumulating in my basement.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm very happy with our All In One universal remote, but only because the old remote worked well enough to program the new one. What's wrong with your old remote -- you may be able to fix it (related thread).
Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 AM   #6

Its been lost for more than a year.I didnt mind getting up to change a chanel in the pre cable days when you had the choice of 3 or 4 chanels but noW with over 100 chanels i dont have time to go through all the chanels one at a time...I was hoping to let the kids use the tv for their gaming systems but without the remote there is no way i can see to access the "input select" feature to allow games to be played,i've tried doing it manually from the tv menu and i do access a game chanel but the only option it gives me is game chanel on or delete,entering "on" does not seem to do anything to allow me to play a game all i get is a screen full of snow/rice:confused:
Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Lost Remote Suggestion

Jambo: If you have a recliner that you haven't moved it in a while you might want to look inside the back under the fabric cover. We had a waste basket right beside the recliner and I kept accusing my kids of knocking the remote (and replacements!) off the table into the trash. One day I moved the recliner, and there were the original and 2 replacement universal remotes just collecting dust. We have plenty of spares now !
Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Two other things:

6% of lost remotes are found in the refrigerator.

You can usually find the original remote on EBay or by googling the model number.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #9

I have all my remotes tethered to a bureau next to the TV,this particular remote was never seen again after a visit from my friend and his Rottweiler,i suspect the dog ate it as i noticed the tether string was empty a few hours after they left.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Our Sony remote just died, so now it's too late to program the functions into the One For All.

Now I have to decide whether to spend $50 to purchase a new one at, for example, http://www.remotecontrolscenter.com/