Tucson trip

gwix98

Recycles dryer sheets
DW and I are going to be in Tucson for about a week in mid February.
On the schedule are a trip to Mt. Lemmon, and Sabino canyon.

I would like to hear about any other "must sees", touristy or not.

We also will spend a bit of time in the historical district, and
the University area.

gwix

Sabino Canyon was flooded this summer and is not open. Check at Coronado National Forest for more info. I don't know if the trams still run to Bear Canyon. The Sonoran Desert Museum (SDM) is my favorite. We saw a raptor show there performed by a family of Harris hawks. The trained hawks would fly a few feet over your head, then perch on the handler within six feet of the edge of the crowd. Do watch a sunset viewed across the desert on the road (west Speedway becomes Gates/Sunset Pass road) to SDM (above) and Saguaro National Monument West. Kartchner Caverns is a great cave at a state park about an hour east of Tucson. Kitt Peak is covered with telescopes, mostly solar, an hours drive through the desert, then up to the top of the mountain, like the Mount Lemmon drive. Old Tucson(fake old west town) is not worth your time.
At Mi Nidito the wait was 45 minutes so we didn't eat there. Guer Canelo (spelling?) has a half page ad in the yellow pages and has excellent, real Mexican food. It is hard to spot on a east corner of 12th Ave. We were the only Anglos there. The Asian food at Chopsticks was mediocre. El Charro on Broadway was recommended but not tried. La Parilla Suiza was mediocre, but the one on 35th Ave. in Phx is excellent. The waiters wear white shirts so that signals how Americanized the place is. We enjoyed the Thai food at someplace on the north side of east Speedway about 4000 or 5000 East. On a previous visit, we liked the Saigon Cafe on the NW corner of the college campus. They had seating for 16, so don't blink or you will miss it.
Being acclimated to Phoenix room prices, we were suprised at how cheap Tucson was. The Tucson Gem and Mineral Show will fill the whole town about the time you are there.
Joe

Don't forget the Tom Mix death site monument on highway 79 between Tucson and Florence. The marker has a silhouette of Tony the Wonder Horse.

Sonoran Desert Museum is a must.

You might take a beautiful side trip to Sonoita, then Patagonia, then back to Tucson.

Nogales, Mexico is about 70 miles south and good for a day.

Tombstone is interesting in a tacky sort of way.

We lived in the Sam Hughes neighborhood near the U. Interesting homes/architecture.

Have fun.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
This will be our second trip, and hopefully we will see a few more
things this time having 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom