Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tuition payment milestone!
Old 12-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tuition payment milestone!

Have to celebrate and this is my only outlet. Just made the last tuition payment for my kids. Put all three thru out of state colleges. Been paying full tuition and board for nine years. Four years double payments. One is an engineer, one a computer science major, and last hopefully a teacher next year. We have been fortunate that the kids are all doing great. Expenses will drop nicely now! Thanks for letting me crow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice. I just paid semester 3 of 8 for kid one and preparing for kiddo two 8 semesters. What an accomplishment you have completed.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks. Been a long time coming.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:59 PM   #4

That is the best type of investment there is!
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! I had college tuition/room & board payments every year except 2 since 2003... finally finished it off this year. So I know that feeling!
Old 12-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #6

Congrats!

Other end of the tunnel for me. DD1 starts a pharmd program next fall. DD2 is warming up in the bullpen as a freshman in high school.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
gone traveling

Congratulations! You have given them a great gift. I'm sure they will be grateful. You deserve to crow!

We were fortunate enough to be able to get both sons through college with no loans. One private school, one state school (unfortunately took 5 years).

After living in the adult world for a while, they are both thoroughly thankful for being able to graduate debt-free unlike many of their friends. Both are doing extremely well in their careers.

We recently finished paying off the school loans of our daughter-in-law (>$70k!). Her parents weren't in a position to help her.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I am done effective May of 2018. One will graduate age 22 and the 24 year old is now on her own. She has a Year left. She finally got serious
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! We are too are paying off daughter-in-law school loan next week so our family will soon be free of all school loans.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:13 PM   #10

Last one heading off next year.

Their current favorite (still waiting to hear from a last few schools) is a private school that would cost about twice that of in-state public schools...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #11

Good for you. The best possible gift is an education.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #12

perhaps a nice gift to you would be a nice dinner out? Paid by all the recipients.

If it was me I'd be eating steaks and drinking Dom

You are a good Dad
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:22 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveBelowMeans View Post
Have to celebrate and this is my only outlet. Just made the last tuition payment for my kids. Put all three thru out of state colleges. Been paying full tuition and board for nine years. Four years double payments. One is an engineer, one a computer science major, and last hopefully a teacher next year. We have been fortunate that the kids are all doing great. Expenses will drop nicely now! Thanks for letting me crow.
Good show for your family! Congrats for being able to swing the full bill while retired.

For years I told our 2 kids we would pay room and board for in state public college - they were on the hook for scholarships (FL Bright Futures merit program) and loans to pay tuition. DD figured it out and covered the bases with 3 scholarships and graduates this spring with BS for comp sci. DS covered two years with scholarship and loans for the rest. He is now in Palmer chiropractic school with an undergrad BS in health. At the start of this college palooza party season, DW announces she wants to do a distance learning seminary and earn a masters of divinity with partial church scholarship. I asked that if she started, she must finish to be the example for the kids - and of course she did.

Now I am auditing the teachings on this forum to get a Bachelors in Retirement.

Atom
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote