Tumbling Drive

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Looks like I may have a project to do.

More specifically to drill my hard drive:

Destroy a Hard Drive – the Cheap and Easy Method | Tech Club

I came to this point when grabbing an old keyboard from a shelf...and something came tumbling down. What was that? An old 80GB hard drive which I had took out of an old computer. The first thing was to try and read the drive but all I heard was click click click. I think the fall killed the drive, but to be sure, it's physical destruction time. :)

Drilling is probably enough. I'm paranoid. I take my drives apart, take the platters out, and use an angle grinder to grind off significant portions of all the surfaces of the platters.

I'm probably nuts.

I have posted my method before. But here it is again:

Attachments

• Canon photos 070.jpg
    Canon photos 070.jpg
    860.8 KB · Views: 24
That's good........... I had read the first two posts and was just about to reply "How about a sledge hammer".. but a picture is worth more.

Drilling is probably enough. I'm paranoid. I take my drives apart, take the platters out, and use an angle grinder to grind off significant portions of all the surfaces of the platters.

I'm probably nuts.

Oh, I like this method. You may think you are nuts, but I would say you are determined to make sure the drive is totally destroyed!

I just killed an old laptop that stopped and I couldn't get it going to make sure the hard drive was dead for sure. I did take a sledgehammer to the main body of the computer. The hard drive was good and dented/bent up. I hate to just throw stuff like this away though. If anybody can get info out of a dented (badly) up hard drive.....well....they can get anything they want anyway probably. Actually, I was quite impressed at how well the computer put up with some fairly decent sledgehammering.

On tough thing use the pointy end of the sledge. More force per square inch:)

I drilled two holes and though not a sledgehammer, did hammer and dented the casing and circuit. I pronounce the HD dead.

I just killed an old laptop that stopped and I couldn't get it going to make sure the hard drive was dead for sure. I did take a sledgehammer to the main body of the computer. The hard drive was good and dented/bent up. I hate to just throw stuff like this away though. If anybody can get info out of a dented (badly) up hard drive.....well....they can get anything they want anyway probably. Actually, I was quite impressed at how well the computer put up with some fairly decent sledgehammering.
It partly depends on who wants to get the information back and how much they want it. Short of taking a welding torch to the platters (take the disk apart) it is supposedly possible to "develop" the magnetic domains on the drive. Now the who who might do this is typically govenments and you would have to be suspected of being a spy or leaker. If you heat the platters to red hot, then the magnetic info will go away.

I introduce unwanted hard drives to a tool called a 1911. Good luck finding all those magnetic particles.

MRG

It partly depends on who wants to get the information back and how much they want it. Short of taking a welding torch to the platters (take the disk apart) it is supposedly possible to "develop" the magnetic domains on the drive. Now the who who might do this is typically govenments and you would have to be suspected of being a spy or leaker. If you heat the platters to red hot, then the magnetic info will go away.

Oooooooo.....fire. I like that idea, at least if you keep the plastic away from the fire. I don't have a blowtorch.....:mad:

I introduce unwanted hard drives to a tool called a 1911. Good luck finding all those magnetic particles.

MRG

Sounds like joke from the Old West about the cattle rustler who thought he got off easy when the local 'hangin' judge' only sentenced him to TOBAS. Then found out it meant.....

Take Out Back And Shoot :D

TOBIAS was may mother's maiden name.

I guess the "I" stood for Immediately.

After all the destruction, (great if you have frustrations you want to t out ) you have some really good magnets!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom