Turkey on the menu?

.... Some of DW's family will be with us, they have never seen a traditional US Thanksgiving, so we will have turkey with all the trimmings. ....

Sounds like fun. I've always enjoyed our T-Day dinners, and a few years back our son-in-law's family joined us (they are of Mexican heritage), and I never really thought about how bland traditional turkey and sides are. They are used to robustly spiced flavors, and turkey, dressing, gravy, potatoes, rolls, muffins, while delicious, are all pretty tame as far as seasoning goes.

But they brought home made tamales, hmmmmmm. I think that would make a great T-Day 'new tradition'.

-ERD50

Frozen $0.39/lb turkey (already bought it, but still in freezer right now). It was $6.36 for a little over 16 lbs.

We usually thaw it in the fridge, brine it for 2 days then roast it. This time around it looks like we aren't hosting Thanksgiving (for the first time in 5-6 years) so we'll just roast it one day between now and then, gorge on it for a few meals and freeze what's left. And make soup from the bones.

My dad will make an oven-roasted turkey breast for my mom and the rest of us will devour the smoked turkey I make. All will come from the supermarket.

We'll have smoked turkey gumbo and a deboned chicken stuffed with cornbread dressing for our small gathering. Plus a few of the regular sides.

We don't plan to get together with family this year, barring the unexpected. I suppose we could split a roasted turkey pita that is offered at a familiar inexpensive restaurant. We really aren't interested in the gigantic "Thanksgiving turkey dinner" with all the trimmings, that is offered at hugely inflated prices at some local restaurants.

I don't recall preparing a turkey and stuffing at home, for at least 20 years. Such is the life of an older introvert, especially now that almost all of my own family is deceased. The silver lining to that is that my holidays are much less work and less stressful as well.
Well, we changed our minds and did get together with a couple of dozen of F's family for Thanksgiving. The guys deep fried the turkeys and the meal was delicious. I ate WAY too much but made up for it by eating extra-virtuously yesterday, so I didn't gain weight (whew!).

The guys deep fried the turkeys and the meal was delicious.

I don't think I'll ever forget my first deep-fried turkey, probably 20 years ago. It's in a class by itself!

My 2 smoked breasts were a big hit at the feast, some said "best ever"

We ate one and I took half of another and left the rest. Gonna be Triple Decker turkey-bacon clubs with lettuce, tomato and butter and mayo. World class - :)

Turkey enchiladas in the oven now. Thanksgiving dinner--the feast that keeps on giving.

Deep fried turkey is great, but $30 worth of oil to fry it is tough on the pocketbook.

Our SIL is a tournament barbequer, and he smoked a turkey this year. I think I prefer a plain ole roasted turkey. Trick is to cook it to the correct temperature--by meat thermometer.

In the South, we only eat dressing--not stuffing. Otherwise, we eat other normal side dishes. And we finished up with Italian Cream Cake.

Deep fried turkey is great, but $30 worth of oil to fry it is tough on the pocketbook.

Our SIL is a tournament barbequer, and he smoked a turkey this year. I think I prefer a plain ole roasted turkey. Trick is to cook it to the correct temperature--by meat thermometer.

In the South, we only eat dressing--not stuffing. Otherwise, we eat other normal side dishes. And we finished up with Italian Cream Cake.

A friend claims that these make great fried turkey with little oil. I haven't tried it.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-TRU-Infrared-Oil-Less-Turkey-Fryer/dp/B001HBI7D8

Thursday's leftover turkey, last week's freshly cured and smoked bacon on fresh bread, with the release of last years chardonnay.

That may not be necessary. When I used to do that, I always got three years out of the peanut oil I used in the deep fryer.

Filter it through a paper coffee filter back into the original container.
Store in a cool dark place between uses (I kept it in a basement closet).
Even after three years it still smelled good and had only the slightest darkening, but I felt that was long enough so I replaced it at that point.

I cooked a big dinner with all the trimmings for 2 of our sons. I was exhausted that day and the next. Next year we are either going out to eat or I will order the meal already done from a grocery store. Years ago when young my ex used to hunt turkey and we would have that. Wild turkey is good but much smaller. I was surprised the first time I saw one. I took many of the leftovers to a few friends that are housebound and don't cook. Also sent a bunch home with the kids. In June my DIL's parents came from Poland for a visit and i made thanksgiving for them since they never had it.

When you do get rid of the old oil, what do you do with it?

Plenty of local restaurants have a "used cooking oil" container out back. Many don't mind the very occasional addition. Ask first, of course. I think it generally goes into making biodiesel fuel.

Turkey enchiladas in the oven now. Thanksgiving dinner--the feast that keeps on giving.

Cranberry turkey enchiladas? That was our middle Turkey meal (YUM)--followed by turkey/rice/carrot soup for late lunch before departing flights on Sunday. Got our money's worth from this year's turkey--three full meals for six, with some leftovers for the coming week.

Was nice to have S1/S2 and spouses for the holiday, but we'll enjoy reverting to our normal, slower pace (even while still not-retired).

Tis the season for the Festivus Pole.

check out these two

Attachments

• 20161124_115555.jpg
    20161124_115555.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 8
Cranberry turkey enchiladas? That was our middle Turkey meal (YUM)--followed by turkey/rice/carrot soup for late lunch before departing flights on Sunday. Got our money's worth from this year's turkey--three full meals for six, with some leftovers for the coming week.

Was nice to have S1/S2 and spouses for the holiday, but we'll enjoy reverting to our normal, slower pace (even while still not-retired).

Second and final leftover meal is in the oven--turkey tetrazzini. Will have cranberry sauce on the side. Good idea re the soup. DH overdosed us on making turkey stock one year (I think he simmered the carcass for a year) and I can still smell the aroma. Mmm.

And yes re the houseguests for the holiday! DH said there is something to be said for living near family--they can go home after dinner! But we miss them already.

Back
Top Bottom