Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: All Important Turkey Poll
Turkey at home 101 71.63%
No turkey at home 16 11.35%
Dine out - turkey 21 14.89%
Dine out - no turkey 3 2.13%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #21

Thanksgiving dinner with turkey at DW's nephew's place, about a two-hour drive. We enjoy the company, lots of family present, and the Honeybaked Ham we ordered just arrived today, now safely in the freezer.

I read in a newspaper article about this site for edible insects. Chocolate covered ants have long been a staple, but how about Chirpy Jerky Crickets, salted Manchurian scorpions that glow in the dark, edible diving beetles, Cricket Crunch chocolate bars, whole roasted mealworms, edible locusts, and lots more. DW was saying "No! No! No! No! No! No" but I might order some just to see the reaction.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

We are doing both . We are going out on Thanksgiving with some friends and then I am cooking a turkey on Sunday for just us . I love the smell of turkey cooking and the leftovers .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Turkey with a couple extra drumsticks and a ham.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Kids and grandkids will be at our house for thanksgiving dinner. Wife’s brother and his kids are planning to join us as well. Possibility of another niece and her new husband too! Twenty-one pound spatchcocked turkey will be the centerpiece of the meal.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #25

I've cooked turkey just about every possible way, but realized I've never done it on a rotisserie so that's this year's method. I have a fairly small 14 pound bird that should just fit.

We both love turkey, and even love the leftovers, but in recent years we have often done a prime rib roast instead. It's all good.

For me the treat is DW's pumpkin pie.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Making Turkey Osso Bucco using a whole turkey and cutting it up into pieces. With any luck, I won’t cut any digits off in the process.
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #27

Traditional turkey and sides at the in-law's house with a couple of friends. Kids and grandkids will gather at our house on Friday for leftovers and maybe spend the night, which would be fun. We're pretty strict low-carb, so Thanksgiving is always a challenge. DS always makes mashed sweet potatoes that are amazing.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wasn't sure how to answer if I am dining out at someone else's home. I answered "at home" as opposed to dining out which I took to mean at a restaurant.

For the first time since 2014,my brother is hosting Thanksgiving at his house. My dad, my ladyfriend, and I will be making the drive to his place, about 180 miles away. Some years, he has undertaken the extra work of cooking the turkey a certain way (deep fry, I think) which made it come out really, really good. He knew that was a smash hit because several of the guests, including me, commended him on it but we all gave different reasons as to why each of us liked it so much. That's how he knew had literally cooked up a winner.

I have reminded him of that year's (not 2014) success and hoped he is willing and able to cook the turkey again that way. I don't yet know if that will be the case.

And some time in December, my ladyfriend will cook her turkey I bought it a few days ago) so we can have our own Thanksgiving meal. From 2015 through 2017, she did this on Thanksgiving itself because we didn't go out of town.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

The extended family usually gets together for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas for a family dinner as my sister's place. Everyone seems to want to do a turkey at these dinners instead of like a roast or something else.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We are breaking our tradition of making unusual Thanksgiving meals and are going out for a traditional dinner. No fuss, no mess, no leftovers. I'll probably pick up some turkey legs after the holiday and do them in the Instant pot.

I'm seriously thinking of doing a Grandma Opel apple pie(not my grandma) for our enjoyment. It's a fantastic recipe and always turns out great. It calls for a half cup of butter for one pie! I'm thinking the butter is fat, other fats can be substituted. Cannibis based apple pie it is![emoji111]

I'm interested to see how the flavors blend.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #31

Full turkey dinner plus a couple racks of pork ribs at home
Old 11-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #32

I am cooking a turkey, with stuffing, in the old family roaster, then wrapping it up to take to my brother's house. I will carve it over there.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #33

Family at home eating turkey breast and typical sides. DD is charged with bringing something pumpkin and we get a cherry pie from a local bakery. DW and I are gluten and dairy free and the cherry pie is from a bakery the specializes in GF/DF.

We’re thankful that we live close to our family, so, Thanksgiving is not a big deal where family gets together that hasn’t seen each other all year, but it’s still a nice meal and day to share together.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #34

Turkey at home. DH cooks the traditional Thanksgiving dinner with lots of sides, including a few from his home country.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:35 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Love turkey. Sometimes it’s just us, sometimes with butterflying friends.

The community has a huge thanksgiving dinner with turkey supplied and folks bring sides. But we really do not enjoy large pot luck type gatherings.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Family at home eating turkey breast and typical sides. DD is charged with bringing something pumpkin and we get a cherry pie from a local bakery. DW and I are gluten and dairy free and the cherry pie is from a bakery the specializes in GF/DF.

We’re thankful that we live close to our family, so, Thanksgiving is not a big deal where family gets together that hasn’t seen each other all year, but it’s still a nice meal and day to share together.
This is a challenge for me as well. No such bakery. I made a GF/DF pumpkin pie last year using coconut milk and a pre-made GF pie crust. Not bad, but I just don’t eat much baked stuff anymore.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #37

Turkey-Yes. But it's all about "The Sides"����
Old 11-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #38

Turkey-Yes. But it's all about "The Sides"😘🦃
Old 11-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Every year at Thanksgiving I say to myself, darn that turkey tastes good, why don't we have it more often! I really like turkey.

We are going to a neighbor's... they are cooking a turkey and we and other guests are bringing sides. Should be fun.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #40

To be honest, I had to google it as I have not celebrated it in 20 years. I do not care for Turkey unless it is in a sandwich with a bit of gravy. We have a sandwich shop here "La Lucha" (famous among tourists) that roasts fresh turkey everyday. Instead of going to a cafe for breakfast with my expat friends, I will suggest we go there fo breakfast.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote