Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
My current setup achieves what you want to do.

I give everyone my google voice number. At home, I have a VOIP adapter hooked up to google voice (Obihai is name of adapter - $40 at amazon). I also have a cell phone. When someone calls my google voice number, it rings my home phones (Vtech base station plugged into Obihai plus all the remote phones elsewhere in the house that wirelessly connect to the Vtech base station). The google voice also rings my cell phone(s).

If I ever go on vacation somewhere that has spotty cell service, I can forward my google voice calls to the landline at the rental house. So someone thinks they are calling my cell or home number and it's actually calling the beach house/mountain cabin landline.

The biggest problem is answering the "is that a home or a cell number" question. Technically it's my home number I guess because my cell has a different ph number assigned to it.
I'm intrigued. Does this mean that with Google Voice and the Obihai adapter, you can basically have a land line for free?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm intrigued. Does this mean that with Google Voice and the Obihai adapter, you can basically have a land line for free?
I thought that 'free' Google Voice was one of their beta programs, and could be discontinued at any time? IIRC, they did plan to shut it down a few years back, but extended it. But for how long?

You could decide to use it for as long as they offer it, but you might want to keep a plan B in mind.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I thought that 'free' Google Voice was one of their beta programs, and could be discontinued at any time? IIRC, they did plan to shut it down a few years back, but extended it. But for how long?

You could decide to use it for as long as they offer it, but you might want to keep a plan B in mind.

-ERD50
I have plan B now - a pay as you go cell phone, but at 10 cents a minute, it can get expensive being on hold waiting for some bureaucrat.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
My house is one floor and only 1300 sq ft.
Do you really need multiple handsets in a 1300 sq-ft house? My home is 2300 sq-ft and I usually leave my cellphone on the kitchen counter near the center of the house, I can get there in 3 rings from anywhere in the house.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes. Been doing this for years.

We don't spend much time on the phone, but it's great for those 30 minutes on hold to talk to the cable company or a government bureaucrat.

It's almost as easy to use the google voice app within Gmail to dial a phone number or answer a call in gmail on a laptop (almost all have mics and speakers). But we have handsets throughout the house for convenience (1 in office, 1 in living room, 1 upstairs in bedroom).
Old 05-31-2016, 01:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Do you really need multiple handsets in a 1300 sq-ft house? My home is 2300 sq-ft and I usually leave my cellphone on the kitchen counter near the center of the house, I can get there in 3 rings from anywhere in the house.
Good for you! I'm a "walking cripple" because of a car wreck and can't get to a ringing phone fast with safety. (Lost 3 1/2 inches of my femur and wear a really big shoe which, while it fixes the total length problem, is on the wrong side of the knee.) My husband has Parkinson's. We are the couple the phrase "slow as molasses" was created for. We can't rush to the phone safely. Wish it were better but it's not.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #27

Quote:
I hate to go OT but, I know the OP and I can deal with her.

You may have solved another phone problem we have. When we moved from MD to WA we kept the MD area code and number on the main phone. I have always wanted to get our phone number on WA's area code. I conclude from your post that I can transfer the MD number to Google Voice and set it up to transfer to a new number that I establish with WA's area code. Then I can gradually notify everyone about the new number. Our problem is that our banks, pension offices, vendors, etc. have that number and I have never been sure that I could get everything changed.
I'm pretty sure you can get your phone number transferred to Google Voice. I didn't do that. I still have my Virginia cell phone number which is the only number I give out. When I am out of cell phone range or that phone is turned off, Verizon transfers the call to my Google Voice number and Google Voice goes to a message recording. It is transparent to the caller. Google then transcribes to message and sends it to me in an e-mail. I can read the message and can also play it back if I choose. Google Voice also notifies me in an e-mail of any incoming calls and the incoming number that do not leave a message. Eventually, when I have dependable VOIP, I will start giving out my local Google Voice number. I will be able to transfer calls to my cell phone and I can also set up a phone using an adapter at the house.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's almost as easy to use the google voice app within Gmail to dial a phone number or answer a call in gmail on a laptop (almost all have mics and speakers). But we have handsets throughout the house for convenience (1 in office, 1 in living room, 1 upstairs in bedroom).
Can I make calls using Google Voice within GMail without the Obihai adapter? (Sorry, I'm low tech.)

EDIT - I answered my own question. I downloaded Google Hangouts and I can make calls for free with a headset that I already own. Yahoo!! - bring on the bureaucrats and drones..
Old 05-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Good for you! I'm a "walking cripple" because of a car wreck and can't get to a ringing phone fast with safety. (Lost 3 1/2 inches of my femur and wear a really big shoe which, while it fixes the total length problem, is on the wrong side of the knee.) My husband has Parkinson's. We are the couple the phrase "slow as molasses" was created for. We can't rush to the phone safely. Wish it were better but it's not.
Sorry, didn't consider special circumstances required it.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can I make calls using Google Voice within GMail without the Obihai adapter? (Sorry, I'm low tech.)

EDIT - I answered my own question. I downloaded Google Hangouts and I can make calls for free with a headset that I already own. Yahoo!! - bring on the bureaucrats and drones..
Yeah, I do that when I'm too lazy to reach over for a phone and my laptop is up on my lap. Or when someone calls the house, it also rings my gmail tab that's almost always open.

You could always skip the obihai and go with google calling only from a computer. You can also install google hangouts (I think that's the app; might need to google it though ) on your cell phone and call for free using google voice # through there.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....... You can also install google hangouts (I think that's the app; might need to google it though ) on your cell phone and call for free using google voice # through there.
Didn't think of that - thanks!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Didn't think of that - thanks!
No problem. Google Voice is a big part of my $10 per year telecommunications plan for home phone and cell phone.