Join Early Retirement Today

TWC - Billing Nonsense and total RUBBISH
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

TWC - Billing Nonsense and total RUBBISH

So I moved back to the USA in December and rented an apt for the next year. The day after I moved in I had TWC come to install service. The day of the install the guy showed up a few hours after the 4 hour window, errr... that they had given me and proceeded to do the install. He walked out after about half an hour I supposed to go to his truck for something but never returned! I waited more than an hour and called TWC to see what was up and they said "sorry, he doesn't work for us, he is a contractor and tomorrow we will send someone to finish". I waited all day long and no one came. At 6pm I called and they said they were going to give me a $25 credit and he would be there the NEXT day.... he did come the next day and everything got hooked up ok, and I charged the first $129 to my CC and signed up for auto billing.

Fast forward to January, my CC was charged over $200. WTH?? so I called and after holding for almost an hour all the while listening to what a valuable customer I was, I finally got to talk to someone who barely spoke English, and he told me that due to me having a special service call, I had to pay $70 extra....

I explained the situation and the guy told me he was only authorized to credit me $50.... I told him I no longer wanted auto billing and they were to send me a bill from here on out. I also called my CC and told them not to allow any more charges from TWC.

Tuesday, I come home to a bill of $262! They charged me $143 plus change in fees for my CC supposedly declining the payment..... I had very very clearly stated NO MORE AUTO PAYMENTS to them, I am certain they can go back and listen to the call.

I immediately called and canceled my service and took the box back to TWC and told them to send me a final bill. I had sat down and figured that I owed NOTHING as I should actually have a credit due to them billing in advance. However, I just got a call from TWC collections that I either pay the entire bill in full or they turn me over to the 3 credit rating agencies. I have never paid a single bill late, my FICO/Beacon scores sit in the high 700/low 800 range and I am a CC churner for miles/points and do NOT want to take a 100 point or so hit to my credit rating but I absolutely REFUSE to pay this $143 fee that I do NOT feel in any way I should pay.

I know this forum is filled with very smart savvy people and want to ask: What are my options? Advice?
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
gone traveling

Send an email to: rob.marcus@twcable.com

He's the COO of Time Warner Cable.
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And here I was trying to figure out why The Weather Channel was sending out bills.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My brother started getting threatening collection letters from Time Warner Cable at his home in WV for an address in NC. Someone stole his identity but they insisted it was his bill. No other vendors made any efforts to collect anything. He was told "we know how to deal with people like you!" Being retired, he had time on his hands to write lengthy letters, etc. and they finally removed his name from the debt. Never got any kind of apology, though.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
gone traveling

Put it in writing.
First file a complaint with your Consumer Protection Agency.
Then write a letter of demand for the money owed to you. Put in dates, times, contractor details and send it to them ASAP.
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sorry this happened to you!
File a BBB complaint - I don't know if this will help but they can't get it removed without responding to it.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #7

In some states, cable is regulated by the Public Service Commission or equivalent agency. That may be some help.

You can dispute charges on the credit card -- just another angle.

About 1985 when I got a cable-ready TV, I returned the cable set-top box. The lady put the STB behind the counter, smiled, and said "Thank You". I smiled back and said "Do I get a receipt?". Smiled back and said "You won't need that. I have updated your file." I smiled back and said "I'll need the receipt anyway."

Sold the place in 1990 and after I moved out, they sent me a bill for the STB. I went to their office and said I was there to take care of the bill for a STB. The cashier said "Cash, check, money order, or card?" I slowly pulled the receipt out of my back pocket, smiled, and said "Receipt."

Sometimes the little victories mean a lot
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had the same type of challenge, probably even worse, with AT&T cell phone activation. They put me (without telling me ) on paperless billing, added insurance to the phones, never sent me a sratement via e mail or paper and then called DW and insisted on a credit card over the phone or they would report me to the credit agencies.

To make a long story shorter, I went to one of their offices, told them I would write out my story and stand in front of their offices with a sign unless they took off the unordered charges and started paper mailed invoices......they did it.

Overall I wasted 10 hours, my DW wasted same and we can't wait until our 2 year contract is up. On the other hand we haven't had any problems with cable from AT&T.

I think many times it's the system and many times it's the people at the company. It is frustrating, however, and probably not worth the time and money, but more important is the anger and tension that you experience going through this. So, try to laugh it off, let go of the anger and just have some fun doing what you have to do.

I hope this makes sense........I've discovered that I'm the biggest loser when I let the action of others ruin my day.......In so man ways....financially.....family.....health...I'm very lucky. I try to focus on that most every day until I find myself smiling and relaxed. Good luck and don't let your challenge ruin one more day for you.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #9

record your conversations with twc as the saga continues ... post them on youtube.

Thinking of the AOL cancellation call that went viral .... lots of ways to get a positive reaction.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #10

I have TWC. I really dislikethem.

I wish your case was the exception... but I fear it's not.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
So I moved back to the USA ... "sorry, he doesn't work for us, he is a contractor and tomorrow we will send someone to finish". ... so I called and after holding for almost an hour all the while listening to what a valuable customer I was, I finally got to talk to someone who barely spoke English ... I just got a call from TWC collections that I either pay the entire bill in full or they turn me over to the 3 credit rating agencies.
Welcome home !

Quote:
What are my options? Advice?
Move to a country where elected officials believe they work for the common good of society rather than for the good of the corporate pig-ogracy ?
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote