Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 09:40 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^During the election, Twitter famously censored news reports damaging to one party.

Then as now those reports were credible (even the NYTimes and Washington Post agree). Even Jack Dorsey admitted this was a mistake. So not sure I see the point about Twitter not wanting to legitimize one side or the other. One party benefitted hugely from their actions.

That type of thing needs to stop.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2022, 09:40 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Calling people willfully ignorant and saying they live in an alternate universe is OK? I think it's not OK and one reason is"human nature" as it's called, seems to assume people that don't believe the same thing that you personally believe can be made fun of and mocked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
+1

It seems that the only "willfully ignorant" people are people who do not hold one's same point of view .
FWIW, that's not what willfully ignorant means at all. Having a different point of view is most welcome, we can't learn without them.
Quote:
Willful ignorance is built on the deliberate avoidance of evidence that doesn’t match one’s existing beliefs. This can be a defense mechanism as it allows us to create a world we feel safe in, akin to confirmation bias.

However, it is also often apparent in behavior that is socially harmful. In this post, we will explore what willful ignorance is and explore this in examples of how it works in everyday life.
https://www.learning-mind.com/willfu...ance-examples/

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
FWIW, that's not what willfully ignorant means at all. Having a different point of view is most welcome, we can't learn without them.

This is a blog written by a teacher with a Batchelor degree in Social science..we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:51 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Heh, heh, so far, I've found folks with dark sides and those who hide them well. Then Depp et. Al., just put it all out there for everyone to see. No need for a tabloid (or Twitter, etc.) just turn on the TV (or, better yet, don't.) YMMV

Everyone has a dark side some are just a lot darker then others pretending we don't have our own dark side is what leads to Twitter implosion
Old 04-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This is a blog written by a teacher with a Batchelor degree in Social science..we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
One link, but you’re welcome to your views. I don’t much care about the future of Twitter anyway…
Quote:
Willful ignorance differs from ordinary “ignorance“ — when someone is simply unaware of something — in that willfully ignorant people are fully aware of facts, resources and sources, but refuse to acknowledge them. Indeed, calling someone "ignorant" shouldn’t really be a pejorative, but intentional and willful ignorance is an entirely different matter.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Willful_ignorance

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-26-2022, 09:58 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One link, but you’re welcome to your views. I don’t much care about the future of Twitter anyway…

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Willful_ignorance
Me either so I guess we're good, but this is why we can't have nice things
Old 04-26-2022, 10:15 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
^^^During the election, Twitter famously censored news reports damaging to one party.

Then as now those reports were credible (even the NYTimes and Washington Post agree). Even Jack Dorsey admitted this was a mistake. So not sure I see the point about Twitter not wanting to legitimize one side or the other. One party benefitted hugely from their actions.

A benefit to Musk owning Twitter is this may lead to new social media companies with a selling point of unlike Twitter. If Twitter, say removes "censoring" and lets folks posts what the want as long as legal, there may be alternatives companies the have a, shall we say, quieter tone.

My personal view (in Social media in general, as I'm not a Twit ) is hopefully, what comes about is more tools and power for people to filter. Choose what they want and filter out what they don't want. Censoring done at the user level. I may be naive, but a hope anyhow .
Old 04-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

I separate reporting and opinion in the NYT and WP. Very different things. Often, opinions are formed from skewed facts (?) and weaved into an opinion piece.

I respect Fareed Zakaria's opinions. I like his CNN Sunday morning show. I like Robert Costa. It's like any publication, you have to read through the weeds. I get to decide what I think is true and honest reporting or opinion. That's the nature of a free society. It scares me to think I'd be forced to believe something. Bots that deliver thought manipulation are easier than we realize. We're finally figuring that out.

There was a class I took in college that focused on subliminal advertising. It was part marketing curriculum. Happens all the time. At movies, in magazines, on Tv shows, and in TV commercials. A way of swaying your thinking without you even knowing it. The psychology behind this phenomenon is pretty fascinating. That's why I steer clear of social media. Not on FB, or any SM platform. I'll read a tweet from an article, but I'm not on Twitter or anything else.

Elon Musk said himself to a group of senators and house members years ago. I saw it on C-Span. AI should be feared more than anything else in the future.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-26-2022, 10:23 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

In theory? Yes.

In practice: Some of those examples in the linked article themselves are not good examples, they are "biased" as they state things that are just not true about some of the topics, while ignoring the holes in the ones that might support their point of view - willful ignorance, perhaps? Similar to Twitter.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:34 PM   #70

Alas, a thread drift too far.

Thanks for the interesting discussion.