Twitter and Facebook Thoughts

I don't use Facebook anymore. I found that too much crap gets shoved in your face trying to use it. When I need updates on family or friends, I just call people and speak with them directly or go see them in person. Seems to work just fine.

I don't use Twitter either. I really don't see much purpose in it. Maybe that's why it has stalled in user growth worldwide and it's stock price is heading lower and lower. I can get news "anytime", especially when I look at my phone or computer. Or if I really want to be punished, I can turn on CNN. :LOL:

One thing about Facebook bothers me. I use it on occasion to see photos posted by my children, and only log in using the browser "privacy mode" because I know FB tracks forever. Nonetheless, someone with whom I have had only one contact, via Skype over a year ago, is now suggested by FB as a potential new friend, and there is no other common connection. I'm not overly concerned about online privacy, but this leaves me scratching my head, wondering how FB built the connection, and somewhat distrustful.

I use FB quite a bit. Learned early on how to set the privacy settings so that nobody can post to my wall except in response to something I've already posted. Only friends can see my posts. No game requests, either. And nobody can find my account via a google search. There are more and they're worth looking at.

I originally got on there to keep track of my extended family to know what's going on in their lives, etc. I've kept accepting friend requests from coworkers, former high school friends, etc. at a minimum. I'm not interested in political discourse on my facebook page and will hide or unfriend people if they start that.

Also, limit the conversations to groups...those don't go public like individual replies *might (depending on your security).

I use FB but not Twitter. I have friends, former coworkers and relatives all over the place and I enjoy keeping in touch with them. DH and I have also become Keepers of the Family Photos because DH has digitized decades of family photos from hard copy or slides. While I've sent out many copies of them on thumb drives and made up a few slide shows, I also post them on FB and people love them. Someone always brings up stories or details I'd forgotten. My nieces and nephews love seeing pictures of their parents as children and my younger cousins enjoy seeing pics of our grandparents whom they don't remember as well as I do.

My FB connections are all over the spectrum: devout Roman Catholics who believe everything the Pope says, the unchurched, atheists, Hindus, married gay people, clergy (the last 2 groups not mutually exclusive!) so I try to stay out of political and religious discussion and keep it tactful when I do. I've disconnected from only two people: one did nothing but repost fat-laden recipes I wouldn't allow in the house let alone my stomach, and another who was incapable of thoughtful, logical discussions.

Some friends and relatives that post too much day to day stuff (what they had for breakfast, lunch and dinner...you get the idea), have a potty mouth, or too much politics, I've moved them as an "acquaintance" in FB. I don't drop them totally as I still sometimes see what they are up to, but at the same time like some control over my feed instead.

I also set up the "tags" so they need my pre-approval before going to my timeline as I have a brother who goes tag crazy.

I probably spend 5 minutes per day on Facebook, just to keep informed about what my friends/relatives are up to. The signal to noise ratio has gotten pretty bad though. A lot of my relatives post too much of the simplistic, dimwitted internet political stuff. I'm pretty interested in politics in general, and like thoughtful posts on the subject (or links to well-thought-out articles). However, I don't need them to share the stupid sound bite of the day 3-4 times per week.

For a while I would engage with them, but I think I have finally learned that there is no point. Few people are truly interested in exchanging ideas, and even fewer of those have many non-obvious ideas to share.

I find that I enjoy exchanging ideas with people on some message boards I frequent (including this one, although obviously directly discussing politics is discouraged here) a lot more than with my Facebook friends.

So thanks everyone for being more thoughtful on most subjects that my Facebook friends :)

When we have weather related road closures or anything "up to the minute" that I need to know, Twitter is the first place I go. By subscribing to local weather, law enforcement, and news programs, I can quickly find out whatever I need to know, in the fewest words possible. That is the primary utility of it for me. Otherwise, I never open the app.

FB is fine, as long as you tune it to get the actual info you want, and I'm pretty free with the unfollow, hide, and privacy features they offer.

I do not Facebook. I don't really want to take the time. DW does for sharing with friends and family, and for entertainment. I am on Twitter, but mainly for posts of interesting internet content from the people I follow, not to read or write short quips.

I Facebook, Twitter, SnapChat and Instagram. I use Twitter for breaking news (way too many instances of that lately) and FB & Instagram to keep up with my kids and distant family & friends. I maybe spend an hour a day on all of the above.

I really like Twitter when watching something like 60 Minutes or 48 Hours. That little #hashtag in the bottom corner gets you into a conversation with others around the world watching the same thing you are. I've had some pretty illuminating conversations.

All of the above were made just for an introvert like me.

About ten years ago now, mainstream media companies, of which there are only six now, began salivating at the thought of using social media to "reach" and "influence" (read: sell). I would never use social media in any form as an information source/aggregator. All mainstream media is beholden to advertisers, and virtually all that is "pushed" out regardless of form is designed to "get eyeballs" (read: sell).

Only about 5% of information is signal, with 95% representing noise. Secondary motives go hand in hand with much "information" that is produced today, resulting in misinformation, disinformation, and infojunk (my word for information designed to appear useful but in fact be useless). Screen with great care (if you care, that is). I believe a strong reason contributing to the trust placed in this and the BH site is that moderators do an excellent job of screening out these motives.

I've noticed among my nieces and nephews (30's) a trend to try to present their lives on Facebook as perfect and showcase themselves as ideal parents.

Tiresome. :-\

On twitter I follow a couple of accounts that give me good info: The City Clerk (lots of stuff on local issues, council dockets, etc.). ThePointsGuy - one of the fastest ways to learn of airline deals.

I've grudgingly joined facebook - just so I can [-]stalk[/-] follow my teenage kids and make sure they're being appropriate. I also have an instagram account for the same reason.

I'm on both. I use Twitter but never tweet. However I get a lot out of following different political pundits, financial traders/investors. If they don't say interesting things themselves they link to interesting articles or retweet other people. Using tweetdeck I sort the most interesting into lists such as Politics, Finance, Local info etc. if ur a political junkie like me it's fascinating to read the real time conversations between different political strategists regarding the RNC convention going on right now.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

About ten years ago now, mainstream media companies, of which there are only six now, began salivating at the thought of using social media to "reach" and "influence" (read: sell). I would never use social media in any form as an information source/aggregator. All mainstream media is beholden to advertisers, and virtually all that is "pushed" out regardless of form is designed to "get eyeballs" (read: sell).

Only about 5% of information is signal, with 95% representing noise. Secondary motives go hand in hand with much "information" that is produced today, resulting in misinformation, disinformation, and infojunk (my word for information designed to appear useful but in fact be useless). Screen with great care (if you care, that is). I believe a strong reason contributing to the trust placed in this and the BH site is that moderators do an excellent job of screening out these motives.

This x1000!

I do have a Facebook account, but have less than 100 friends. It is used to keep up with the folks I served with in the Air Force and if not for Facebook, I would not keep in touch with them. I have employed the strictest privacy settings available (such as only friends of friends can even send me a friend request). If someone I don't know (or more importantly don't like) sends a friend request, I don't deny it...I let it sit (a friend purgatory, if you will). I also don't use my first name (initial only) and it has it's own email account (through my domain) to keep it from linking with other accounts. I have no pictures, no info, no real nothing on there. I really would like to delete it, but the AF folks are keeping me around for now.

I check the account no more than once per week. Otherwise, it turns into a big time waster and I get frustrated at all the political crap that people just HAVE to share.

Here's how my current page looks like.

Attachments

• FB.jpg
    FB.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
but this leaves me scratching my head, wondering how FB built the connection, and somewhat distrustful.
Yes FB seems to generate fake friend requests from any contact we have made that FB discovers.

Also get ads for things I have searched on amazon (and bought off craigslist).

I use Facebook and it has allowed me to reconnect with old friends that I had lost contact with after college. Never used Twitter.

I probably spend 5 minutes per day on Facebook, just to keep informed about what my friends/relatives are up to. The signal to noise ratio has gotten pretty bad though. A lot of my relatives post too much of the simplistic, dimwitted internet political stuff. I'm pretty interested in politics in general, and like thoughtful posts on the subject (or links to well-thought-out articles). However, I don't need them to share the stupid sound bite of the day 3-4 times per week.

+1

It puzzles me how otherwise "normal" people post so much divisive, over-the-top political garbage on FB. Do they actually think their FB friends want to see that stuff or that they appreciate it on any level? Just makes no sense.

I don't use Twitter but do have an Instagram account where I follow various friends and also some other stuff I'm interested in. It's nice to occasionally see some "behind the scenes" photos of interesting people or events that you otherwise wouldn't get to see without Instagram. Instagram is also a convenient way to create a real-time photo blog (so to speak) of your travels. Kind of a neat way for friends and family to stay up to date on your travel adventures, IMHO.

For some reason, my FB friends (mainly relatives, but not all) love seeing what other people are eating and drinking. I get more likes for posting a photo of a cheesecake I just baked, or a pitcher of sangria, than for almost anything except a selfie (people love those, too).

People also seem to love weather announcements. I have relatives who are drama queens about the weather - there is always some Terrible Storm threatening their houses - and the funny thing is, they are just as interested in my weather. :LOL:

Amethyst

Some friends and relatives that post too much day to day stuff (what they had for breakfast, lunch and dinner...you get the idea),.

Facebook has been working well for us for what we want from it. Mainly used to keep up with our naturalist buddies and parks in selected FB groups. Neighborhood and some family.

Recently KLM helped me process a refund via their "KLM Facebook Team". That was an interesting option to have - the only online support I could find, but it worked!

I work pretty hard to remove political stuff from our feed and it stays somewhat clean. DH avoids the feed and just goes for FB pages of interest which are all news/family free.

We were careful to not allow other people to post to our FB feed, and only allow friends of friends to request friendship and allow friends to comment on our page. This lets us control what appears on our FB page. Some peoples pages really get messed up.

Some people's FB pages seem to consist only of sharing posts they found elsewhere on FB!

Oh and I absolutely REFUSE to pass on posts that solicit sharing - especially the manipulative ones. Kind of a nasty reminder of those horrid chain,enters of my youth.

Twitter? Gaggh!

Last edited:
I have zero interest in Twitter. from what little I have seen of it from seeing friends access their accounts, or Twitter "feeds" posted on websites (my church website does this even so guess I'm already old and not with it at 55), it's too shallow or misleading for me to waste time on it. Also, I'm too introverted to care about 'following' anyone. I do have a FB account but dont remember, or care, how to access it. Got it on a whim when other family members were in contact with newly discovered relatives oversea. I was much more happy to visit them in person, or call, which we have done. Mainly was posting photos, and did we all always really look forward to those family photo albums at parties back in the day?........um ....no. If its your own grandchildren of course that is way different :) Security is an issue too for me as others have discussed. Reading books (I'm very much interested right now in the details of my dad's and uncles WW II battle experiences. Reading about the places and events they all shared a bit about while they were alive is very interesting to me.

One good use I can think of is this: I do have one Church acquaintance who is in very ill health and concerned about his appearance, so he is a shut in. He likes FB a lot, that and video games plus a bit of e-mail are about his life at this point. Save for a few of us who he accepts visits from.

Some people's FB pages seem to consist only of sharing posts they found elsewhere on FB!

Oh and I absolutely REFUSE to pass on posts that solicit sharing - especially the manipulative ones. Kind of a nasty reminder of those horrid chain,enters of my youth.

Yeah, that first paragraph would be my SIL. Re-posts of puppies, kitties and flowers.

And I'm the heartless (rhymes with rich) who NEVER re-posts or Likes pictures of sick kids, statements about how I love my (kids, grandkids, cousins), statements of support for our armed forces, the police, etc.

I suspect many are pages made up to generate high traffic that are then sold for their potential ad revenue.

Serious question.
I expect that I'm missing a lot
Your thoughts... and reasoning....

I ignore Facebook and don't think I'm missing a bit. DW uses it a little and a couple of times a year shows me a "cute" baby picture or other family thing. So if anything really important flows through there I'm covered.

Otherwise, it's just people chattering about thing I don't really care about.

If you want to dip your toe in there, go for it, but I personally don't think you're missing anything.

There are plenty of other places to be entertained on the internet...

No twitter, no facebook. Just hobby & special interest forums (like this one) for me.

I leave my cell at home unless I'm out of town.

I'm retired. There is absolutely, positively nothing that can't wait until tomorrow - :)

The best way to be mediocre is to embrace the fad of the day without having given conscious thought to its utility. This is not meant in any way to be a judgment, and if that's the way you want to live your life, by all means go for it.
Thanks for my first chuckle of the day, while drinking my morning cuppa! Nothing like a good non-judgemental statement to start the day. Hey - if anyone wants to be mediocre, don't let me stop them :LOL:

Last edited:
After using one of Options' posts for a bit of a chuckle, I guess I should make a good faith contribution to the thread. I think all social media has it's uses, and it depends how they are used.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I was using Facebook mainly to interact with people who I know or have known personally. There were a few people in there who I have not met, but with whom I share common interests, but the overwhelming majority are folk who I actually know "in real life". With a few exceptions, they all have largely the same political views and outlook on the world. Not sure how I pulled that off, but it has helped to make FB a harmonious place for me. However, with all the current political divisiveness both in the US and abroad, even the folk who have similar views to me have been bugging me with their regular political rants. The well-informed ones weren't so bad, but the simplistic ones (often from intelligent people) were a bit much. Added to the fact that I haven't seen a lot of my FB connections in a long time, and it was all adding up to a lot of information that didn't feel relevant, so I deactivated the account and took a break. It's been 2 or 3 weeks now and I haven't missed it, though it was fun for the 7 years that it lasted. However, I did start a new account, in the name of one of my former cats. I only have 2 friends on that account, and use it mainly to join groups and read news and info from the various sources there.

Twitter has been my biggest surprise. For a service with a rather diminutive name, until I began using it, I wrote it off as a place where nothing of substance would take place, and no real connections would be forged. To the contrary, I have found it to be a very useful tool. My account is strictly for my ham radio and shortwave listening activities and, in particular, my interests in low power (QRP) operation and building my own gear. In sharp contrast to FB, I know almost none of my Twitter contacts in real life, but use it regularly to exchange ideas. You'd be surprised how much of substance you can communicate in 140 characters and when more is required, there is no character limit on direct messages. I often use it to exchange ideas on circuits, and the progress of homebuilding projects, with other hams, as well as the occasional signal report when my ham friends check into nets and they aren't able to hear me on the air (we're experiencing really poor propagation conditions at the moment).

I haven't found a use for Pinterest or Snapchat, and Instagram doesn't really do it for me either, but they all have their happy users. I had big hopes for Google+ but, for some reason, it doesn't really light my candle. Ello and a thousand other services came in with big fanfares, only to never really fulfill their fantasies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom