Two years to the big move

tsdogs

Dryer sheet wannabe
In two years, we'll be selling the house we've lived in for 20 years and moving across the country to where we want to retire. I figure I have that time to pare down to what I really need since we've accumulated a lot raising the family, etc. Not an insane amount, like others around us, but more than we'll need in the next phase.

Right now I'm listing a few things on ebay here and there. Anyone have any tips for me?

I did the same. Sold small / valuable / collectible stuff on eBay. Mostly mailed USPS and had postman pickup on porch to avoid hassle at post office.

Larger stuff I sold on Craigslist, though I'd use Marketplace these days.

Most furniture I gave away or sold for $1 to eliminate the gimmme crowd that claims it and never shows up.

Packed what was left into a U-Ship trailer using a local packing crew, then hired another crew on the other end to unload. Same price as renting a UHaul truck and I didn't have to drive.

Bought "new" furniture on Craigslist when I got here. It depreciates rapidly and we wanted different but not necessarily new. Bought new mattresses.

I'll have to look into that U-ship. That sounds ideal! I expect we'll buy some new furniture for the new house, and pick up some accents second hand. We will likely bring a mattresses and some favorite bookcases.

I packed up the Christmas tree today and thought we'll use one more year, maybe two, depending on move-in date. Then we'll donate and buy a new one to fit the new house. I have a lot of Christmas decor that probably won't make the trip. Hard to decide what to keep and what to toss...

We're overloaded with books, games, bedding and outdoor things (camping gear, sporting goods).

After FB Marketplace but before CL for me is Nextdoor, although that may partially depend on how your local groups are run. They're supposed to require that people list where they live and use their real names, so if that's enforced it's a little safer than other venues, and I like to limit larger and/or more popular items to just my local neighborhood, and IIRC you can later drop the price and/or open the item up to a wider area.

DW and I are in the process of moving right now. It's a 350 distance and we've done it all ourselves. A few pickup loads and two 12' U haul trailers.

Travelover has some great advice. If I had it over I would have gotten rid of most of the big furniture and started over with new stuff at the new location (sofas, recliners, mattress & box springs...) You may want to buy furniture that fits your new place anyway. Tell your kids to get their stuff if they have any at your place, don't move it to your new place. I was surprised how much of our kids stuff we still had even though they moved out over 5 years ago. Lots of games, books, VCR tapes....

Consider hiring help, at least to load and unload. DW and I did it ourselves and it was stressful on us.

We sold all the appliances with the house, except the freezer. I should have included that with the house too. I gave the buyer whatever property they wanted with the house, so I got rid of the gas grill and push mower.

Sort through your papers now. Don't move anything that will get thrown away at the new location. I am ashamed to say that I moved a lot of stuff that is going to go in a dumpster at our new location.

If your selling your current home, I would hire an inspector to come in before you list it with a realtor. Then you can fix the little things BEFORE the buyer's inspector comes in and cuts your place apart. Having it inspected will give you more leverage in any negotiation that comes with a house sale. Start getting your house ready to sell now. Make sure the mechanical, wiring/plumbing and roof are all up to date. It makes your house much more marketable if the buyers don't have to do anything. They will likely paint it and update the flooring anyway. Just make sure you have neutral colors that any potential could live with.

Get a good realtor, start interviewing now. Look at their ads like you are a potential buyer. Its not too soon to start contacting them with your plans.

Try not to accumulate too much groceries in the last year. It makes no sense to move a whole pantry, fridge & freezer contents.

Don't move when its 30 below zero.

Good luck to you.

A lot of good tips by the posters. We had the children come and go through all their stuff and told them whatever they didn’t take was going to Goodwill. They did a good job of clearing out. We started packing downsizing in November 2020 with the intention of a move in late spring 2021. We started in one room and went through everything and cleared it out. We were self moving so used the room to store boxes. We made a lot of trips to goodwill. A local church had a thrift store that would pick up any furniture and sellable items. So all the furniture was donated including a One year old washer and dryer. We left the furniture to the last couple of weeks so we had some thing to use. We bought an air mattress and kept two office chairs and some old metal tray tables. We still ended up moving a lot of stuff and still can’t believe how much we had in a 1600 square foot house. Have a budget for replacement of furniture, lawn gear etc. Things you will have to buy, but don’t want to haul. We sold our house and moved at the end of May 2021 to our retirement area. Leased an apartment for 3 months while we searched and bought our new house. We stored most everything while house hunting. We are glad we downsized. We got a slightly bigger house that we furnished and decorated and it ended up perfect for us. We lived in our previous house for 17 years so at times it was difficult. You have plenty of time and it will get emotional with a lot of memories. Just keep at it and realize you will be moving to a new adventure in your life. Congratulations!

We downsized from a large home into a storage container, then traveled. Our intention was to end up in a lock and leave condo or duplex at some point after our travels.

One thing we learned was the huge difference between large furniture in a large home and condo or apt. sized furniture.

We did not realize it until we visited a local higher end consignment furniture store. There was no market whatsoever for the large dining room set that we had and did not want to keep. Same for some other pieces of furniture. Same for the high end china, crystal, and silverware that people want to dispose of. We still have a few unpacked boxes of china that we put away ten years ago and have never used and never will use.

And when we finally did buy a new place with a different layout to our home DW wanted new furniture. So thankful that we got rid of all the things we did prior to our move.

........We did not realize it until we visited a local higher end consignment furniture store. There was no market whatsoever for the large dining room set that we had and did not want to keep. Same for some other pieces of furniture. Same for the high end china, crystal, and silverware that people want to dispose of. We still have a few unpacked boxes of china that we put away ten years ago and have never used and never will use.........
My experience, too, which is why we basically gave away all the furniture, china, etc.

When we moved to Atlanta in 1992, we filled up 1 1/2 tractor trailer trucks. That was 4x the average family of 4. I had too much stuff--including an inherited cabinet shop.

Then we had to liquidate my parents' and my aunt's house, and we inherited some fine furniture.

We've moved ourselves 3 times since--the last of which was 2 years ago. I'd just like to be able to walk in my 3 car garage. I've been hauling stuff to the dump almost weekly for years.

If something happened to us in the near future, we're not doing our children any favors. Somebody's going to have to do something with all this stuff. And there's no better time than now to start weeding it all out.

My sister and husband are in a trap of their own making They are in their late 70's. She in poor health, he not so bad.

They have a home FULL of stuff, that includes the basement. They should have moved a few years ago to a retirement friendly place, perhaps a condo. It is too late now. Their immediate family will have to sort it out and it will not be good.

We are so very thankful that we downsized ten years ago. It was truly liberating to get rid of all that stuff....either to friends and relatives or to the 'women in need' group.

Last edited:
Just about anything but a keepsake can be replaced after moving - and probably cheaper than moving it. The big thing (for us) was to get over the idea that all that stuff had value. We did get some money out of some of it and donated a lot as well. It's liberating to be without much in the way of possessions.

We made our move in 2 suitcases each though we did actually leave a "skeleton set-up" of furniture and some larger keep-sakes at the old homestead. Our rent on the homestead is cheaper than the cheapest storage space here in the Islands (starting at about $60/month for a 4' by 4' by 4' plywood storage unit.) We have our homestead waiting for us, fully furnished (sparsely) whenever we return to the mainland. It costs much less than two months in a Homewood Sweets. YMMV

I have been selling stuff for a year, still have lots of stuff.
ebay,market place , flea market and craigslist.

Ebay fees and postage is getting high, stuff does not sell like it did 10 years ago.

I have done pretty good money wise, probably have an auction company come in ad take the remaining stuff, I'm not in a good location for a yard /garage sale.

Back
Top Bottom