Type of Guns used for Self Defense/ or Other

It just fits

I have held a CCW permit for many years. On the very rare occasions I have felt the need to carry concealed, I carry a Glock 27 (40SW). It fits my hand.

For open carry, a S&W 626 (357Mag) also fits me.

When I used to deer hunt, I toted a Remington 700 in 270 Win.

Also own a few assorted others.

I have has a CCW permit, and an FFL since 1990.

I used to carry a S&W 642 air-weight special. A hammer-less 5-shot, 38 special, snub-nose revolver.

I switched to a Glock 43, a single stack fairly small 9 MM. It's is one of Glock's newest. It goes with me when I travel, mostly.

I am headed to Glacier NP in September, and I will carry a full-size Glock model 17, 9 MM while hiking. It will be loaded with +P Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman ammo, which have a proven record of being a bear killer bullet from up close. It's not likely I will use it, but if I can stay alive another 30 seconds after a lethal hit, I am golden. A 9 mm is definitely better than running to find a stick, or getting into a grappling match with a grizzly. The DGF will carry bear spray.

There is something to be said about always using the same type of gun, for as much as you can, in a high pressure situation. Glocks provide that same feel and functionality. Just point and shoot. The safety comes off automatically. I did some training at Frontsight with my Model 17.

I generally do not carry much, but it makes it easier to go to the range, or if I need to carry. If I think I need a gun, I stay out of the area. I avoid businesses in Minneapolis and the Mall of America as much as I can for that reason. That is another reason Amazon is taking off, and will continue to do so. You can avoid the problem areas.

I don't carry, I hate carrying my cell phone so anything extra would be a pain, and the requirements in this State make it expensive.

At home, for sleeping well (besides an alarm) I have a 9mm Beretta loaded with hollow points, that I bought cheap online. I've tried them at the range and they work fine. It has 17 rounds per mag.

I also have a shotgun, but currently thinking the handgun is a better choice, easier to aim/move in close quarters, and the shotgun holds 5 shots.

I keep a machete within reach in the vehicle for cutting bushes when I'm going someplace where guns are not allowed, for example Canada.

Yes. When in my 20s I shot hundreds of rounds each weekend for practice, and did my own reloading to save costs. I would have 1 or 2 duds out of 100. It was most likely due to the primer not getting seated properly in its pocket.

In my younger days I experienced about the same failure rate. For me, I believe the problem was in two areas. First I was buying the cheapest primers I could find :nonono: and second I suspect I was getting a little oil from the resizing process on my fingers and that got to some of the primers.

Once I figured that out, I switched to the best primers I could buy (very little difference in cost) and I made sure my hands were clean whenever I handled the primers. These days I might experience 1 or 2 failures out of a 1000. About the same as store bought stuff.

That's actually "one" reason I "prefer" a revolver for self defense over a semi automatic. (although I do carry both) If you have a misfire with a semi auto in a critical moment you could be in serious trouble. Reason #2 is the greater possibilities of a jam with a semi auto. Even the best made and tuned semi autos jam on occasions.

I can't recall the last time I had a revolver jam up or bind on me. And with a revolver if you do get a misfire, the fix is just a trigger pull away.

Last edited:
In my younger days I experienced about the same failure rate. For me, I believe the problem was in two areas. First I was buying the cheapest primers I could find :nonono: and second I suspect I was getting a little oil from the resizing process on my fingers and that got to some of the primers.

Once I figured that out, I switched to the best primers I could buy (very little difference in cost) and and I made sure my hands were clean whenever I handled the primers. Now a days I might experience 1 or 2 failures out of a 1000. About the same as store bought stuff.

That's actually "one" reason I "prefer" a revolver for self defense over a semi automatic. If you have a misfire with a semi auto in a critical moment you could be in serious trouble. Reason #2 is the greater possibilities of a jam with a semi auto,

I can't recall the last time I had a revolver jam up or bind on me. And with a revolver if you do get a misfire, the fix is just a trigger pull away.

+1

I own a 9mm Glock 17 and have a CC permit so I have it in my car everywhere I go. It's a little big for carrying on my body so I rarely do that. I will carry it on my waist the rare occasion when i'm out late at night or travelling to a more dangerous area.

I carry when it's not going to cause issues (so not at work where I could get fired due to company policy, client sites that could jeopardize my job, etc). My preferred carry piece for "regular" carrying is my Kimber Pro Carry II, but I swap that out with my Beretta PX4 or PX4 sub-compact depending on the situation. I also a have an officer-sized Colt 1911 that I don't carry that often. I find all of them to be comfortable and I shoot them all well so I don't mind swapping them out depending on the mood.

I'll open carry in certain situations (around the house/yard) but generally keep it concealed.

What's the best ammo (most accurate) you have found for use in the HS? For me it's been Eley 22 LR match made in the UK. A bit pricey but if you are shooting in a match it's been the best performing for me.
I've Ransom-rested various brands but the truth for me is that CCI SV is more accurate than I am, so there is really no point in buying the high-priced stuff. YMMV, of course.

I'm not a gun owner, but I might as well learn something: Why wouldn't you use reloaded ammunition for self defense?
In my case, my .45ACP reloads are extremely reliable and more accurate than factory ammunition. Target loads, however are lower power and usually use target bullets not self-defense bullets. So buying a box or two of factory self-defense hollow-points makes economic sense. I use so few of them that it does not make sense to work up a special self-defense load.

That said, probably the real world is that ammunition doesn't matter much for personal use. Anything above the .380 probably packs enough power and absolutely anything has accuracy sufficient for short-range shooting. And there are plenty of people that would say that the .380 or even the .25ACP is adequate in power.

If you're curious about self-defense bullets, stories about the FBI's testing make interesting reading. Like : https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/4/16/throwback-thursday-the-fbi-ammo-tests/

As for reloading, in my younger days I used to shoot pistols in competitive matches every weekend. So between the practice and the matches I would shoot between 700 and 1,000 rounds every week.

I was meticulous in my reloading, between cleaning the shells, clean hands loading the primers, measuring min/max on length and diameter, and using the best quality parts, I do not think I had a problem with 1 in 10,000 rounds. Probably less. Once I got my routine down I cannot remember ever having a dud.

Old guy home defense: No handguns just a simple pump 12 gauge with plenty 'hot' shells. I hope I never have to use it. I did have occasion to grab it and stand behind the front door when someone was smashing on the door... kids? Too long, too violent. Called the police and they were gone by the time they arrived. Not long after the neighbor was thoroughly robbed (forced a window) and we all bought security cameras... another neighbor facing got the same smashing treatment...he's armed too.

Home Alarm, security cameras and a big white dog.
The shot gun is definitely staying.

Last edited:
Old guy home defense: No handguns just a simple pump 12 gauge with plenty 'hot' shells. I hope I never have to use it. I did have occasion to grab it and stand behind the front door when someone was smashing on the door... kids? Too long, too violent. Called the police and they were gone by the time they arrived. Not long after the neighbor was thoroughly robbed (forced a window) and we all bought security cameras... another neighbor facing got the same smashing treatment...he's armed too.

Home Alarm, security cameras and a big white dog.
The shot gun is definitely staying.

FWIW, When I was at work, we were shown a demonstration about 12 ga for home defense. If I remember right # 4 buckshot was the winner. All of the buck shots were scary. But I think the # 4 had they pellets,penetration and spread for the win.

As for reloading, in my younger days I used to shoot pistols in competitive matches every weekend. So between the practice and the matches I would shoot between 700 and 1,000 rounds every week.

I was meticulous in my reloading, between cleaning the shells, clean hands loading the primers, measuring min/max on length and diameter, and using the best quality parts, I do not think I had a problem with 1 in 10,000 rounds. Probably less. Once I got my routine down I cannot remember ever having a dud.

Never shot competitively but we routinely used 300 rounds weekly.

My experience is about the same, seldom if ever had any mis-fire. Once the routine is set I went from a single stage to a progressive Dillion. I wasn't comfortable with the powder drop being right and would re-weigh charges. Oh how foolish I was.

Had a 38 that was a dud, primer only? Removed slug and was watching DW with the little 2" Taurus 85 and kaboom! WTH she almost lost her grip? It was still in one piece!

Seeking extra safety I managed to double charge that 38! Had a smith check it out, he said it was OK. I reviewed what that double charge was, a very nice load for a .357 magnum.

Today I dump and measure before loading and after that run. Nothing else is done during the session.

99 % of the time its a Smith and Wesson Model 36 , Thats a 5 shot 2 inch barrel .38 revolver for the non gun people that might be reading this. Its loaded with plus P hollow points. I used to carry 6 extra rounds in a speed strip but I stopped that maybe 7 years ago. In my old life I went to the range at least 1 time a month. Now I try to go a few times a year.

For the past week, I’ve been sleeping in hotels, which means that my sleep has been a bit disturbed and my dreams especially vivid. I had a very unusual dream a couple nights ago that I was carrying a Chief’s Special in my waistband, under my untucked shirt. What makes it unusual is that I have never owned a gun, haven’t carried one since I was a security guard about 35 years ago, know almost nothing about guns, and would probably vote to repeal the Second Amendment. But in my dream, I was acutely aware of the exact model gun I was carrying, and the need to keep it concealed so as not to alarm people like my DW.

I have some friends who like guns, but would never consider carrying something as, well, understated. Isn’t the Model 36 usually a cop’s backup gun? Something you’d tuck in an ankle holster?

I’ve no idea why I dreamed of a five-shot revolver with a two inch barrel or why the dream was memorable. I’m just surprised to run across a reference to it.

FWIW, When I was at work, we were shown a demonstration about 12 ga for home defense. If I remember right # 4 buckshot was the winner. All of the buck shots were scary. But I think the # 4 had they pellets,penetration and spread for the win.

If I were allowed to have only one firearm, it would be a short barreled 12ga shotgun. OO for home defense, #2 to #9's for all sorts of bird hunting and slugs for any big game in North America. Heck, I've even read stories about big game hunters in Africa using a 12ga with 00 buckshot as a "backup" to their 458 Win Mag (as an example), when hunting dangerous game in the heavy wooded or brush areas.

Last edited:
I'm not a gun owner, but I might as well learn something: Why wouldn't you use reloaded ammunition for self defense?

Reloading pistol ammo is usually done by those competing in competitive timed matches with the idea of minimizing recoil to maintain good accuracy and by those who shoot frequently. Reloading rifle ammo is more common amongst target shooters who are looking for the most accurate and repeatable loads.

I agree if it someone else's reloads. I reloaded these myself, and took a tremendous amount of care reloading them, as my life may literally depend on it. I test fired some of the self defense reloads and never had a problem with them.
What DFW said is true. I used to shoot competitively (not that great at it), and I reloaded my .45 ammo with a lighter load and different bullets. The self defense load is heavier, the bullet is heaver, and i used a half jacket hollow point bullet.

Last edited:
I have a concealed handgun license in both Washington and Oregon, since I'm back and forth all the time. My carry weapon is usually a .38 Colt Detective Special - I've just always preferred revolvers. Sometimes I carry a pocket .22 Magnum North American Arms pocket revolver when the .38 is more weight than I want to carry. The small weapon you have is better than the bigger one left at home.

I don't carry on a regular basis; extremely low crime rate here. Cavalier is 140 years old and I believe there has been maybe 3 nurders in that time. However holstered next to my bed is a loaded 45 caliber Colt 1911.

For the past week, I’ve been sleeping in hotels, which means that my sleep has been a bit disturbed and my dreams especially vivid. I had a very unusual dream a couple nights ago that I was carrying a Chief’s Special in my waistband, under my untucked shirt. What makes it unusual is that I have never owned a gun, haven’t carried one since I was a security guard about 35 years ago, know almost nothing about guns, and would probably vote to repeal the Second Amendment. But in my dream, I was acutely aware of the exact model gun I was carrying, and the need to keep it concealed so as not to alarm people like my DW.

I have some friends who like guns, but would never consider carrying something as, well, understated. Isn’t the Model 36 usually a cop’s backup gun? Something you’d tuck in an ankle holster?

I’ve no idea why I dreamed of a five-shot revolver with a two inch barrel or why the dream was memorable. I’m just surprised to run across a reference to it.
You are correct on all points, It was my back up, that usually went in the ankle holster. It saw service in my waist band many times too. I used to throw it in my jacket pocket in the winter as well. We switched over to 9mm in the 90's, I was grandfathered in. After my shooting on June 3rd 1991, I never considered switching to an automatic, as this served me well.

Don't carry either, but my favorite gun is a Glock 22 Gen 4 (40S&W). My second would be my 9mm Beretta PX4, reason being cost of ammunition. When I got the Glock, I considered a 10mm, but the salesman pointed to the ammo shelf to look at the cost difference between calibers. That sealed the deal on the Glock 22.

Back
Top Bottom