Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Used it in Dallas, Rolling Stones concert. Great system. We actually went to eat hrs earlier and signed up and tried uber. Worked out well at the concert. YES WE will use it again and may be a part time job in retirement 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Use it all the time when visiting my daughter in Chicago. I like the no cash convenience and the no tipping part.
Greathusky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

A neighbor at my campground drives Uber in Chicago. She and her husband.
No details, except that they both like what they're doing. He earns $2000/wk... 5 days, and she earns an average of $400, working the weekends. This allow both to give quality time to their two young 7 and 9 y.o. daughters.

Am sure there are downsides, but her comment "people are almost always nice" said it all for me.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like everyone's Uber experiences are in the big cities only.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Sounds like everyone's Uber experiences are in the big cities only.
I think the more rural areas are server by Guber.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

<rimshot!>
Old 08-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
A neighbor at my campground drives Uber in Chicago. She and her husband.
No details, except that they both like what they're doing. He earns $2000/wk... 5 days, and she earns an average of $400, working the weekends. This allow both to give quality time to their two young 7 and 9 y.o. daughters.

Am sure there are downsides, but her comment "people are almost always nice" said it all for me.
Are those numbers before expenses? This article posted earlier shows that the average driver made slightly over $10 an hour after expenses:

I was an undercover Uber driver :: Cover :: Philadelphia City Paper
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another view of Uber in Philadelphia:

UberX Is Now As Bad As Philly Cabs | News | Philadelphia Magazine
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Would you use Uber in a city like Santa Rosa CA with a population of 170k ? Thinking of doing this soon.
Don't know why it wouldn't work for you in Santa Rosa. I use it in southern Marin and it's great. Ive had drivers from as far away as Sacramento; they come where the customers are.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Update on my aforementioned friend who's an Uber driver.

He informed me that he's quit Ubering. He had a lot of fun, it was easy money ($25/hr) and for him he was doing it as a lark rather than trying to make a living at it.

His big problem was this: As most of his fares are young women riding alone, he worries that he's just one greedy, false accusation away from having big, big problems. He's fairly wealthy and drives a big BMW...feels he'd be a target.

While he agrees that Uber would face the brunt of the litigation and this would be in the .1% chance, he's just not willing to risk it for $100 a week spending money.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Just make sure you don't get burned by rate upcharges - that will show up on your phone when you request a ride.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Just make sure you don't get burned by rate upcharges - that will show up on your phone when you request a ride.
+1

Kinda got burned by that yesterday. I thought there was a cap to surge pricing rates (1.5x or 2.0x) and that changes would be slow in coming as more drivers came online.

I kept delaying calling the uber yesterday after I saw surge pricing in effect with an expiration of 2 minutes. It kept going up and up. Kinda like trying to buy/sell securities in a rapidly moving (against you) market.

Finally gave in at around 3x when I was worried I would be stranded and not make it to my event in time to get a good seat.

Good news is that I still paid about 30% less than my peers who parked onsite instead of 2 miles away (for 'free') like I did.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
+1

Kinda got burned by that yesterday. I thought there was a cap to surge pricing rates (1.5x or 2.0x) and that changes would be slow in coming as more drivers came online.

I kept delaying calling the uber yesterday after I saw surge pricing in effect with an expiration of 2 minutes. It kept going up and up. Kinda like trying to buy/sell securities in a rapidly moving (against you) market.

Finally gave in at around 3x when I was worried I would be stranded and not make it to my event in time to get a good seat.

Good news is that I still paid about 30% less than my peers who parked onsite instead of 2 miles away (for 'free') like I did.

-gauss
The surge pricing can be very expensive. After sucking up a 2.5 after a beer festival a couple of weeks ago, I vowed to never use Uber for a special event. So, last weekend we went to a large comedy festival with some friends that are Uber addicts. They wanted to use Uber to get there and I flat out refused. When the show was over, I pulled up the Uber app just to see what it would be...Well, the surge was 4.5 and the estimated cost to go 25 miles was between $195-$220. I could have called a helicopter for that price!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
the estimated cost to go 25 miles was between $195-$220. I could have called a helicopter for that price!
Well, not quite. But you're on the right track.

Uber offers helicopter rides to Bonnaroo for $1,500
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I used Uber for the fist time last week for a ride to LAX. We used a guy who our friends recommended. My wife called him a few days before our trip and arranged the time for him to pick us up at our house. He was there 5 mins early and off to the airport we went. He was a nice guy, 55+. He works from 4am to 8am during the week then goes to his regular day job. He also works weekends. He only lives about a mile away from us which is convenient for both of us.

We also arranged for him to pick us up on our return to LAX and he was there waiting. We paid him in cash directly. He gave us the option of going through the Uber app of paying him directly.

All in all a good experience.
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Uber driver cancels
Old 10-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #36

Uber driver cancels

I attended a TEDx all-day event on Thursday. At the happy hour, a fellow attendee was telling me that she had attempted to uber that morning. It's a ride of approx. 45-50 miles from her home in a large college town to the venue location downtown.

While she was waiting to be picked up that morning, she received several calls from the uber driver, telling her that he was lost, held up due to construction, etc. The final call was him bailing on her. He was not coming to pick her up, ever.

She ended up driving her own vehicle and paying for premium parking.

She's fortunate that she had a car available. Not everyone may be so lucky.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #37

My SIL drives part-time for Uber and really likes it. She has an almost new SUV-type vehicle, which qualifies her for higher fares (I don't remember what they call their more upscale vehicles), and she reckons to make $20-25/hour. Very flexible hours, and extra spending money for her.

When I was a lot younger, I worked as a courier for a year, but I can't quite get my head around the fact that with Uber, I'd be inviting complete strangers into my car on a regular basis. I wonder what the odds would be of landing a nutjob, or (even worse) a dangerous person? SIL tells me that it's OK because the passengers are somewhat "screened" by Uber, and they have credit card info, etc but, to use the colloquial parlance of my motherland, it all sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Well, being an Uber driver isn't without risk. I wonder if the perp used the App to get the car? I am not sure about the "other passenger". I am *guessing* that he just hopped in the car...effectively carjacked them?

Uber driver unwittingly becomes getaway driver in Parkville armed robbery | Maryland News - WBAL Home
Old 10-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

We did it once, and it worked great. Be sure you tell them you are first timer, which got us a $20 discount.
48Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Boston Uber Driver Convicted Of Rape, Sentenced to 10 Years In Prison
Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #40

Cross-posting to both active Uber threads

"When the woman got in Done’s car, he informed her that she needed to pay him in cash. They stopped at an ATM before he drove her to a secluded location and sexually assaulted her.
Done reportedly hit the victim and attempted to strangle her during the attack, locking the car doors so she wouldn’t escape and covering her mouth so she would remain quiet.
Done was subsequently linked to several other attacks on women in previous years, thanks to a DNA match. He was ultimately charged in connection to five different assaults. "

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote