Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And, for UFO sightings to exist, you have to also explain that a civilization which can do all these --amazing-- things cannot figure out how to avoid detection by humans. Or that, with all the tools available to study our society, they only make contact with people in rural locations. Asimov's "The Rocketing Dutchmen" article follows this line well.
My belief is that any alien form advanced enough to travel to Earth wouldn't even have to come here to learn all about us because we've been broadcasting radio and TV waves into space for decades.

Quote:
There's an interesting related wrinkle that I happened upon recently: The mystery of mitochondria. Nobody is quite sure how mitochondria came to be in cells, but it appears that they evolved as a separate life form and somehow, improbably, got incorporated into at least one other organism. They exist this way to this date--a reason that their DNA is totally independent from the rest of the DNA in every complex organism on earth. Without mitochondria, life could exist, but it would be very, very simple. It was that way on earth for 2 billion years, and life stayed very simple--single very very small cells. And they could not get bigger or more complex. But, at that point, and by a mechanism not yet explained (and which apparently only occurred one time in earth's history, based on the existing evidence in every cell), two independent single celled organisms began to exist within a single cell membrane in a mutually beneficial way (perhaps as one was eating the other). What would eventually become the mitochondria provided a tremendous increase in the amount of energy available to the host cell. And at that point, living organisms could suddenly get to be complex and over 10,000 times as large. There was absolutely nothing inevitable about this--life on earth could easily have continued at a very simple level indefinitely.

The fact that both organisms survived, even once, and replicated within each other, was incredibly improbable.

An (overly?) "accessible" version of the story is in this Radiolab podcast:
Interesting.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
In the age of everyone having a smartphone, one would think there would be more confirmed videos out there.
BUT , BUT now everybody seems to be glued at the screen ( and not looking in any other direction )

ALSO , there might be some discrete blocking of some videos ( just like China allegedly does ).

i worked a lot at night out of doors but was busy watching for snakes and ambushing tree branches ( and haven't seen the Australian version of Bigfoot yet either )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
My belief is that any alien form advanced enough to travel to Earth wouldn't even have to come here to learn all about us because we've been broadcasting radio and TV waves into space for decades.

Interesting.
a virus is life and they are known to have existed on Mars ( and may still do )

mathematically there is every change of life outside our solar system but would we recognize it , and understand it it DOESN'T even have to be carbon-based or need oxygen to breathe .

and if they study us by our electronic transmissions , they will probably just corral us and turn the planet into a giant cage-fighting event .. something like the Roman Colosseum

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Old 06-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
a virus is life and they are known to have existed on Mars ( and may still do )
The report of a meteorite with evidence of Martian life has been fairly well discredited. I remember it caused quite a stir at the time. More here: Smithsonian: Life on Mars?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:51 PM   #65

Quote:
The report of a meteorite with evidence of Martian life has been fairly well discredited. I remember it caused quite a stir at the time. More here: Smithsonian: Life on Mars?
would that now have been put in doubt by the mould growing on the exterior of the International Space Station

https://www.space.com/21982-space-sl...satellite.html

there is quite a lot we don't know ( including how JFK was shot )

Samuel Levenson
Old 06-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #66

Bacteria found on International Space Station may be alien in origin, says cosmonaut

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a8080036.html

Samuel Levenson
Old 06-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
would that now have been put in doubt be the mould growing on the exterior of the International Space Station

https://www.space.com/21982-space-sl...satellite.html
Do you have a link that actually relates to mold growth on the >exterior< of the ISS?

MIR was overgrown with mold--on the inside. The fungus was a big problem, which is to be expected from the humidity levels in that craft.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #68

Quote:
Do you have a link that actually relates to mold growth on the >exterior< of the ISS?

MIR was overgrown with mold--on the inside. The fungus was a big problem, which is to be expected from the humidity levels in that craft.

seems to be some organisms are growing on the outside as there was a discussion on how they resisted solar radiation .

https://futurism.com/organisms-outside-space-station

sadly all scientific information will be highly edited .. which is why i hardly ever read this stuff now .. man is sure to make catastrophic mistake messing with this stuff ( because some fool will weaponize it )

Samuel Levenson
Old 06-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #69

i was thought to have Legionella back in 1985 , you would have to be a total retard to be surprised by air systems INSIDE the space stations failing to stop mould , fungi , bacteria etc after so many years of operation .

Samuel Levenson
Old 06-02-2019, 04:24 AM   #70

Quote:
There's an interesting related wrinkle that I happened upon recently: The mystery of mitochondria.
Not to mention they mystery of midichlorians.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am one of those serious amateur astronomers (see my screen name) who has spent countless hours under a clear night sky, and I've interacted with many others with the same interests. I know of not one instance of something seen in the sky that couldn't be explained. I've seen airplanes, weather balloons, satellites, meteors, and even planets that could easily be mistaken for something mysterious by people who don't know the "geography" of the sky as well as some of us do.

Heck, I'd be jumping up and down with glee if I saw an extraterrestrial spacecraft, but it hasn't happened yet.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I think the greatest argument for intelligent life in our universe is that none of them have tried to contact us..
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

About 15 years ago, my wife and I we’re sitting in the backyard with our feet in the pool looking at the night sky as we did frequently, spotting satellites as the flew by and the occasional shooting star.

As I was gazing around movement caught my eyes... low on the horizon and very close to us was this triangle shaped, fairly large object that was slowly moving through the sky with three roundish glowing “engines” underneath it but was completely silent! The street lights seemed to get absorbed or reflected by the material it was made from cause it was very hard to see.

My DW saw the same thing when I pointed it out to her and we knew it was a UFO. Was waiting for a report on it from others but none made. Surely I thought the military came out with a new and deadly weapon, but alas, after all the years' nothing ever came out to the public about such a weapon.

True story.

+1 on To serve man!
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:54 PM   #74

The Baltic Sea UFO looks like the Millenium Falcon

Some Divers raises 120,000 euroes to kook into it

Old 06-08-2019, 12:44 AM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Don't know about things that fly. I did drive to New Mexico I'm March and received a good old fashioned anal probing. I wasn't smoking or eating any mind altering substances. So who knows?

People have to pay good money for that back East.
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:05 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

A friend and I experienced a UFO at very close proximity in the LA area. It happened 45 years ago and is etched in my memory forever. Instantly changes forever ones concept of life, the idea humans are somehow the only beings of higher intelligence in existence and all the laws of science that would otherwise make this kind of encounter impossible.
VungTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:54 AM   #77

Well, I can tell you that I have found no wreckage, discarded parts, bodies, or uniforms in buried 300 million year old beds of ancient plants, ferns, moss, and swamp plants in Wyoming, Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I have found what I thought were meteor pieces though, and sent one back to a university for confirmation.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
It is pretty clear that the reported things by military pilots are bugs in their electronics and heads-up displays. There have been no truly visual (unaided by electronics) sightings. Government agencies and contractors don't want to admit flaws in their systems, so they deep-sixed any analysis and their results.

Full disclosure: I used to work with surplus military image intensifiers. They had a lot of problems. Try this: Look at the sun with your eye. How long does it take before you stop seeing a bright spot everywhere else you look?
Full disclosure.I have faith that highly trained fighter pilots are a little smarter and aware than to not know the difference between actually seeing something over and over and a tech blip.Come on.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
True, but the speeds would have to be quite close to light speed in order for substantial relativistic effects to kick in. And therein lies the rub. The engineering challenges would be monumental, to say the least. First, create a space craft that can generate and deploy the massive amounts of energy required for long enough to reach, say, 90% of light speed, and then figure out a way to prevent the ship from being obliterated due to countless collisions with tiny bits of interstellar dust and debris, each carrying hundreds or thousands of megajoules of energy due to relativistic effects. For example, at 80% of light speed, a microscopic dust particle weighing only 40 micrograms would release as much energy upon impact as the thermal explosion of half a barrel of crude oil.
Yes but you are operating on human knowledge and have no idea what type of things exist that we have no knowledge of or how old other civilizations could be.I know enough to understand there are things beyond human comprehension.A mere 130 years ago or so we did not even have a car or the ability to fly and I cannot remember the year we discovered electricity.There could be civilizations millions of years old in this vast universe.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Some Divers raises 120,000 euroes to kook into it
Your Freudian slip is showing!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote