Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Unemployment~How is your State doing?
Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Unemployment~How is your State doing?

SD is winning and NV is pulling up the end @ 13.4%. How long can this mess last?

Quote:
Regional and state unemployment rates were generally little changed in August.
Twenty-six states and the District of Columbia reported unemployment rate increases,
12 states recorded rate decreases, and 12 states had no rate change, the U.S. Bureau
of Labor Statistics reported today. Thirty-seven states registered unemployment rate
decreases from a year earlier, 11 states and the District of Columbia had increases,
and 2 states experienced no change. The national jobless rate was unchanged at 9.1
percent but was 0.5 percentage point lower than a year earlier.
Quote:
Table A. States with unemployment rates significantly differ-
ent from that of the U.S., August 2011, seasonally adjusted
--------------------------------------------------------------
State | Rate(p)
United States (1) ...................| 9.1
|
Alaska ..............................| 7.7
California ..........................| 12.1
Delaware ............................| 8.1
District of Columbia ................| 11.1
Florida .............................| 10.7
Georgia .............................| 10.2
Hawaii ..............................| 6.2
Iowa ................................| 6.1
Kansas ..............................| 6.7
Louisiana ...........................| 7.2
|
Maine ...............................| 7.6
Maryland ............................| 7.3
Massachusetts .......................| 7.4
Michigan ............................| 11.2
Minnesota ...........................| 7.2
Montana .............................| 7.8
Nebraska ............................| 4.2
Nevada ..............................| 13.4
New Hampshire .......................| 5.3
New Mexico ..........................| 6.6
|
New York ............................| 8.0
North Carolina ......................| 10.4
North Dakota ........................| 3.5
Oklahoma ............................| 5.6
Pennsylvania ........................| 8.2
Rhode Island ........................| 10.6
South Carolina ......................| 11.1
South Dakota ........................| 4.7
Texas ...............................| 8.5
Utah ................................| 7.6
|
Vermont .............................| 5.9
Virginia ............................| 6.3
Wisconsin ...........................| 7.9
Wyoming .............................| 5.8
1 Data are not preliminary.
p = preliminary.

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
gone traveling

How long can this last? A long time, IMHO.

I'm not going to get political (since I truly believe that all parties have a hand in this) but a lot has to do with the structural change of the economy over the last 20-30+ years.

The requirements of education (even to obtain an entry level job - if there is one) have increased and the cost of obtaining that education has contributed to the problem, along with the debt occurred. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, that degree will only get you a minimum wage j*b - if you're lucky.

The fact that global sourcing/manufacturing over the last 20-30 years means that the jobs will flow to those countries that have minimum job skills at a low cost. The idea that you could have a basic education (e.g. high/technical school) and enter the work world and make a living has past. Those j*bs have been outsourced to other countries, in most circumstances.

People (yes, you and me) will continue to buy at low cost providers, such as Wally-World (Sam is probably rolling in his grave, while he promoted "made in America" during his watch).

The U.S. is still (for the time being) a major producer of technology/ideas, but to deliver on those ideas require a manufacturing base at a cost that can support production - something the U.S. is sorely lacking.

And for me, the idea that it's "all about me" that seems so prevalent in today's (e.g. U.S.) society has set expectations beyond what can be delivered upon. Just look at the trash on TV, that exposes what one "should/must have" just to be considered "normal" (e.g. HGTV, Jersey Shore, Housewives of "X").

As being born in the late 40's, raised in the 50's where I was lucky to have a roof over my head and enough to eat, I've been satisfied (along with my DW, who was raised in the same conditions) and learned to be happy with just the basics.

Today? People expect and demand more. However, the U.S. will not be able to deliver on that request under current conditions.

Just my $.02 on your question.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
And for me, the idea that it's "all about me" that seems so prevalent in today's (e.g. U.S.) society has set expectations beyond what can be delivered upon. Just look at the trash on TV, that exposes what one "should/must have" just to be considered "normal" (e.g. HGTV, Jersey Shore, Housewives of "X").
I just took a look at some of the current TV trash, to see if this is right. Well, it's just shocking -- is all I can say.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

North Dakota ........................| 3.5

Clearly, we should all strive to emulate North Dakota.

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote