Unexpected Job Offer

RockMiner

Recycles dryer sheets
Here's the deal...It's taken me months to obsessively crunch all the numbers and probe the psychological aspects of Semi-ER.  No sooner had I decided that yes, this all actually makes sense, then a potentially juicy (and totally unsolicited) job offer falls in my lap!

I admit that even before this flattering distraction occured, I was prone to weak moments of the "maybe I should work just one more year" variety.  But now I'm faced with a bigger temptation, better money and a chance to work at a different type of position, which might be interesting.  Or not.

I thought I had a plan, but now I'm thinking this is a win-win opportunity.  If it doesn't work out then no harm done, but if I like the job then I can add some padding to the SWR and lose only another year or two to w*rk.

Am I chickening out of ER or just being rational?

if you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.

Rok said:
. . .

Do what feels comfortable to you now. If it doesn't feel right later, then change it. :)

Rok said:

If you are chickening out, so what? Retiring early is not some type of character test. If you feel you need more security, you are now being offered it.

Seems clear to me.

Ha

About a year and a half ago I took on a new project instead of retiring. It too was unexpected but has worked out well to this point. I am starting to get bored again so my time is coming soon.

I really was not comfortable with my finances at that time but am much more so now.

You will have to decide based on finances age health and family responsibilities.

Will the new position be interesting? Will you look forward to going to work each day?

Bruce

Thanks for the feedback, all.  I think the bottom line is I have nothing to lose but some time, and a few extra bucks wouldn't hurt.  I always thought this would be my last job so it takes some adjusting to the idea of starting over at a new company.  :-\ 

I agree with Ha. There is no such thing as chickening out. Hope the new job is a great adventure.

Rok said:
If you'd received this offer after a six-month sabbatical you'd be laughing heartily as you hit the "DELETE" key.

But rationality (as long as you're still working) can only raise the chance of a successful ER. If the job works out (you may even have found your avocation) then you can retire anytime and do it on a high note. If the job doesn't work out, then... same thing.

The downside of taking the job is that you're no longer permitted to post gripes here about your job!

When I retired from teaching nuclear stuff at a military training command, six months later I received an offer to teach nuclear stuff at a military training command. In fact it was the same building, different "boss", much better hours, better uniform work attire, better students, and no administrative/leadership responsibilities. The only thing that was "worse" was that I'd be parking about 100 feet further away. GS-11, a promotion to GS-12 after a year's probation, and the Hawaii pay scale includes a 25% COLA.

The only problem was that I'd been enjoying the heck outta life for six months. I wasn't real excited about commuting (even by bicycle, let alone car), wearing shoes (or even socks for that matter), or juggling after-school childcare. There was the mention of a very occasional midwatch (with overtime pay-- ?!?!!) to help out with testing nuclear stuff on drydocked submarines. Spouse pointed out that my competitive juices would inevitably rev up and I'd feel "obligated" to qualify to teach everything at the school, and maybe to take on additional responsibilities or even qualify for my boss' job.

I wasn't ready to return to a structured life. I had plenty of home improvement to work on, I was enjoying afternoon naps, I actually LIKED being around the house when the kid came home from school, and there was all this surfing to be done. Whether or not our retirement portfolio was riding the razor's edge, I wasn't happy about having to conform to someone else's idea of a schedule.

I could have taken the job, given it a few months, and then made a decision. But I decided that I just didn't feel enough excitement or commitment to make the attempt, and that it'd be unfair to put the new boss (also a friend) through my personal struggle. You might want to consider if those are issues for your job offer. Otherwise, if it'll truly make you sleep better at night, take the job & keep socking away the savings.

Back
Top Bottom