Unusual and Sad Situation

In a happy change of events my husband’s ex and he are going to see their youngest in October become a pilot in the Air Force. We have been helping her a lot since she is sick and she has bought them both first class seats to go. It only cost her 400 for his since he is only going one way. I am caring for her animals and thought it was a great way to show that she appreciates it.

In a happy change of events my husband’s ex and he are going to see their youngest in October become a pilot in the Air Force. We have been helping her a lot since she is sick and she has bought them both first class seats to go. It only cost her 400 for his since he is only going one way. I am caring for her animals and thought it was a great way to show that she appreciates it.
Happy for you.

I am glad for you that things are looking up a bit. You are a very caring person and I admire that.

I've been MIA on this thread but read through all your posts today and boy you have been through the wringer. Best of luck to you Teacher Terry!

You are OK with not going and them basically going together? You've been important in the youngsters life too.

I am definitely invited. It’s a money issue with my job ending. My stepson understands. They are also all renting a house with his half brother who is a jerk and treats my husband poorly. I can’t stand to be around him but my stepson adores him.

Just thought I would give a update. I am really happy we took the high road in this situation. Her liver cancer has doubled in size despite treatment. She has a low grade fever and pain in her liver. She just asked if we would care for the animals if she is well enough to travel for Christmas. My youngest step son is worried about what will happen to her 3 pets since he doesn’t live here and travels a lot being in the military. I told him we will just return them to the various rescues that she got them from. It doesn’t seem like there is much hope at this point. She really wanted to be a grandma.

Thanks for the update and I hope you and are family are doing OK with all this. You've been more then compassionate.

Just thought I would give a update. I am really happy we took the high road in this situation.

It sounds to me, from this and other threads, that you are the type of person that prefers the high road. You did a little venting here, and then did what you knew in your heart was the right thing (for you, for her, and for your husband).

i'm pretty sure that DH, his kids, and even the ex realizes you have done the right things.

His ex called today so time for a update. She has just found out her cancer continues to spread and she only has months to live. She is meeting her youngest son in Florida at the uncle’s for Xmas and her pet sitter isn’t answering her texts to confirm. I told her not to worry we had it covered. She rehomed the big young high energy dog to a coworker with a farm. That’s good as we will only have 2 pets to return to the shelter. If I wasn’t allergic I would keep them. She needed someone to talk to and we talked for a hour. After I hung up I started crying. I am surprised how upset I am. I feel so bad for her, my step son and all the milestones she will never get to see.

Sorry to hear of her worsening condition.
You are there giving support for her, your DH and you stepson. Take some time to take care of yourself, too.

By being good to her in her time of need, and listening when she needs to talk, you are earning points in heaven...God bless you.

OK TT, that last post brought tears to my eyes...

You are giving us all a lesson in the value of taking the high road. Thank you!!

Thanks Tom. Frankly I didn’t expect to be this sad.

The story has come to a end. The end of May my husband’s ex was in the hospital and her son received a emergency leave from the military. Amazingly she pulled through and he was home 2 weeks and they had some quality time. He finally finished school and was on his way home and his mom died. She lived much longer than her doctors said she would. During this time we have visited often and rehomed her pets. I have grown fond of her and feel terrible.

I admire your willingness to wade in to that situation and be as supportive as you were.

That was a huge emotional sacrifice. You should feel good about the commitments you made to her, and I hope her survivors appreciate you for what you have done. :) (for you)

Wow, I’m in awe of this, you are amazingly kind. She was so lucky to have you in her life.

My one stepson is grateful and has told me many times. I really love him. The other one lives in another state and is pretty self centered. We will have to help them plan a funeral as I don’t think she had that covered. She did leave behind a will, etc.

TT--Sorry for the families loss.
You have been a wonderful example of care for another human being and grace.
Blessings to you and your family during this time of grieving and healing.

You're a class act, TT.

I'm thinking you grew fond of his ex because you two had something in common: you both loved the same man, and were loved by him. And she had grace enough to see that you were good for him, besides your obvious goodness to her, her son, and the animals.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It certainly has been a unexpected journey.

Back
Top Bottom