Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of my friends got a neat gift from her daughter, who recently visited India. It was a copy of Indian Vogue. And years ago, before all the newspapers had websites, a friend of mine who travelled a lot would bring home a copy of the local newspaper (English language version). It was fun to read the local news in Uganda, Russian Federation, etc!

Simple, cheap and unique! (Of course you had to travel to pick them up).
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
If anyone really feels compelled to send me anything, I will inform as to which individuals/organizations to direct it to.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The whole thing of gifting has gone crazy. Christmas is for kids and anything beyond that is all sales and marketing. Seems like the stores are in competition to see who can open the earliest and stay open the longest. I remarked to DW back around Holloween that stores were getting out the Christmas decorations.

I enjoy doing things like picking up the tab for lunch today at a golf course. Every now and then I like to do that for the guys. That was my Christmas present to them. Not too expensive and it made me feel good and they enjoyed me grabbing the checks our of their hands. It was a spur of the moment thing and felt good about doing it.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
The whole thing of gifting has gone crazy. Christmas is for kids and anything beyond that is all sales and marketing. Seems like the stores are in competition to see who can open the earliest and stay open the longest. I remarked to DW back around Holloween that stores were getting out the Christmas decorations.
+1

Best evidence of crazy to me, the annual Lexus ads where the spouse gives the partner a Lexus with a big red bow. Honey, I'm giving us years of car payments/leasing costs for Christmas! Preposterous IMO...but I wouldn't buy a "luxury" car to begin with. Sheeeeeesh!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post

I enjoy doing things like picking up the tab for lunch today at a golf course. Every now and then I like to do that for the guys. That was my Christmas present to them. Not too expensive and it made me feel good and they enjoyed me grabbing the checks our of their hands. It was a spur of the moment thing and felt good about doing it.
Ha...I did the same thing with some guys that I get together with for lunch every week or two. Totally spur of the moment, and out of character. But I felt the Christmas spirit.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

I would actually love it if someone dropped off a bag of potato chips at my door
And if the giver would be so kind as to include a six pack of a quality craft beer, it would really be special. I'd be delighted to hand write a thank you card!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Received an expensive gift that I cannot use from someone who really cannot afford it. Talked to the company. Without a receipt I cannot return it. My options are 1> to nicely let the gift giver know so they can assist with a return. 2>Keep it/donate/dispose/sell and lie about it. 3>Take it out, once in a blue moon, turn it on, then put it away, so I will be able to say "Oh yes, I use it." I have read the post about not letting people get you upset. As a guy, I am not in tune with my feelings but I feel miserable. Any thoughts?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Received an expensive gift that I cannot use from someone who really cannot afford it. Talked to the company. Without a receipt I cannot return it. My options are 1> to nicely let the gift giver know so they can assist with a return. 2>Keep it/donate/dispose/sell and lie about it. 3>Take it out, once in a blue moon, turn it on, then put it away, so I will be able to say "Oh yes, I use it." I have read the post about not letting people get you upset. As a guy, I am not in tune with my feelings but I feel miserable. Any thoughts?
The person who gave it to you may have re-gifted it and doesn't have a receipt. I would send a generic thank you and donate it.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Sold my watch to buy a set of combs for my gal's beautiful long hair. She braided and gave me a watch chain made from her lovely hair. ayup. Just like old threads, some things never change.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
The person who gave it to you may have re-gifted it and doesn't have a receipt. I would send a generic thank you and donate it.

+1
This is the most likely way the gift giver acquired the gift. You know: unwanted present, ideal gift. If you donate it he or she will probably never know, unless he or she visits the same thrift store.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote