Update on my 1 year old lawn care business.....

I enjoy mowing, but if I could get it done for $35 per cut, I would probably pay to have it done. Around here, the going rate is $75-80 and they insist on cutting weekly whether its needed or not. It seems to be a fad type of thing with more and more homeowners signing up with the same lawn crew. They gotta be making a killing by cutting so many lawns on a single stop.
That's awful! I wonder if someone else might be interested in mowing your lawn? It might be worth looking around, checking bulletin boards and such.

Percy (our lawn guy) just raised the rate this spring for mowing and edging from $30 per yard to $35, due to increases in costs. He is not the cheapest in this area, but is very reliable and trustworthy and has mowed for Frank's family for decades. He only mows as often as is needed.

The lawn guy I had previous to him only charged $25 but just didn't bother to show up during the entire month of August, 2004! :eek: Turned out he wanted to go on vacation and didn't bother to mention that to his customers. My lawn was about up to my knees and I don't like that. So, when he came back I got rid of him and hired Percy. ;)

Some of you might recall me asking about the lawn care industry last year. I started a company with a friend (yeah, yeah...i know) from scratch and this is what happened

2007 (March 20th-Nov 15): 27 regular mowing accounts, 6 fertilizer customers, 125 yards of mulch spread, 38k gross sales,

2008 To Date: 42 regular mowing accounts, 11 fertilizer customers, 66 yards mulch sold, 39k gross

2008 Expected: 55 regular mowing accounts, 15 fert customers, 160 yards mulch sold, 51k gross

If anything,it keeps me busy and in-shape during the 'off-season' for duct cleaning

Great business plan, nice money maker.

It is funny how everyone is yelling on the rooftops about the price of gasoline and food, when it looks as though most people have enough money to keep doing the things they do.

We do make a good bit of money here in the states to have a lawn service.

I do mow our small-ish lawn (30 minutes with our brand new $136 mower that replaced our 5-year-old $125 mower--DH is an avid gardener so that takes care of the other landscaping) and clean our small-ish house, but I have many friends and acquaintances whose landscaping and cleaning services come while my friends are at the health club, so Fed, your lawncare business should continue to prosper!

Well, our sign-ups dropped off quickly as I had to stop advertising...too much too quick and no reliable help! Looks like we will end the season with about the same 42 accounts, and a gross sales figure of about $46k. That's just the two of us working an average of 25 hrs/week for about 26-28 weeks. Operating expenses were about $15-17k off the top of my head.

Just figured I'd update the thread!

Hmmm, $30k net for 700 hours of work. So your business netted you close to $43/hour before taxes. Was that worth your while?

Another business idea for you (as if you need one): in my area there is a business that is solely focused on cleaning gutters (and repair and installation, but mostly cleaning). They advertise over a pretty large geographical area, show up whenever (since they can get up on the roof even when you aren't home), do the job and leave a bill in your mailbox. As far as I can tell, the business employs at least a couple of roving crews of laborers in trucks. For my house they charge about $100 to do the gutters and they are done in about an hour. Seasonal, but probably a nice complement to lawns.

Good idea, Brewer! In my area they want $250 up front for a year's worth of gutter cleaning. I guess they just do it 2-3 times for that much. I am hoping that Frank decides to hire them, for safety reasons.

I have gutter guards but it is amazing to me how many people do not.

Good idea, Brewer! In my area they want $250 up front for a year's worth of gutter cleaning. I guess they just do it 2-3 times for that much. I am hoping that Frank decides to hire them, for safety reasons.

I have gutter guards but it is amazing to me how many people do not.

I do my own gutter cleaning by walking along the edge of the roof and blowing the leaves out with my leaf blower. It has become quite an experience as I get older - and I can see paying $250 for a year's worth.

Interesting concept I have certainly considered brewer. The drawbacks are...well...getting on roofs and my main helper is afraid of heights LOL. Big, burly guy 6-3, 250 lbs...gets woozy on a 6ft ladder!

Re:43/hr...I wish that was it. This business is actually a partnership so I personally only netted about $26/hr before taxes. And yes, it is still worth it. My goal next year is to cut my hours by 1/4 but keep the same annual pay by adding some accounts and one laborer.

Back
Top Bottom