Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
W2R, what is CRS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
She won't be up for hours.

CRS = Can't Remember Sh!t
He's got it right, although I would have said something like "Can't Remember Stuff" just to be a little more genteel. I did get up a little earlier, at 9 AM this morning.

Quote:
I would say employment has been only lightly hit by the recession, due to the high amount of Government employment, contracting, etc. However, the housing market seems to have a mind of its own. Prices are down quite a bit from their peak, though they are still a bit above 10 years ago (last time I checked, anyway).

Amethyst
Oh, ok - - I didn't remember that correctly. Oops. Seems like the older I get, the harder it is to keep things straight sometimes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree, "class" and "higher/lower end" are loaded terms, and like all loaded terms, can come back to haunt a person. Sorry if I offended anyone. "Expensive" and "less expensive" is probably the safest way to put things.
It's part of our shared American fantasy that class is not noticed, or important. What a crock. It has profound implications in almost every area of life. Even in the UK, where health care is free and most use the NHS, being in a higher socioeconomic class counts in one's health status. And get this one. Say you are upper middle class, but for some reason or another your neighbors are of lower classes. Then your health status will often be lower than your UMC confreres who live in UMC neighborhoods.

Anyone who isn't convinced, go to some speed-dating events. First represent yourself as a doctor. Then go as a call center worker. Compare how many of your speed-partners want to see you again under each condition.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
He's got it right, although I would have said something like "Can't Remember Stuff" just to be a little more genteel. I.
Well yeah, you know how REW is, just can't take him anywhere....
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Well yeah, you know how REW is, just can't take him anywhere....
No shirt...
Old 11-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

That's OK, we like him anyway, don't we?

Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
I always thought he was a little fishy...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Anyone who isn't convinced, go to some speed-dating events. First represent yourself as a doctor. Then go as a call center worker. Compare how many of your speed-partners want to see you again under each condition.
This sounds as if it might be based on a real-life experience.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Since dating has now been brought into the equation, what kind of speed-dater will have the best success with someone who is leasing a car that is worth 40-50% of his/her home's worth?

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Well shirt yes...
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
The townhouse development where we have our rental unit, has 3 sections, each about 50 units. We own in the cheapest section, where values run $250-$290K (in our region, that's a middle class townhouse). None of the units in our section have garages; instead, they form a square around a parking lot, so we see what all the residents drive. Frankly, our older, inexpensive little car sticks out like a sore thumb. Last week, when we spent a lot of time working on the townhouse, I counted:
  • Two newer BMW 7-series sedans
  • 3 smaller Beemers (3 and 5 series)
  • 4 Mercedes Benz sedans: 3 mid-range, one very large
  • Cadillac Escalade SUV
  • Late model Corvette
  • Not to mention newer Infinitis and Acuras, which cost close to $40K.
  • Yes there are middle-class cars and SUVs too: Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais.
Does it seem odd to anybody else that people in middle to lower-end housing would own so many high-end cars? Cars which are not only expensive to buy, but expensive to maintain.
Amethyst
Americans are famous for living above their means and buying everything on credit. Luxury-car fever is common in the USA. Times are changing. Those who are "upsidedown" in the mortgages will just have to keep paying for and living in their devaled dwellings until prices go back up again. Eventually inflation will ease their debt. They will also soon learn how to appreciate cheaper, smaller cars.
Robert Colbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Years ago I had a good friend who lived in a tiny one room apartment and drove a Jag. She didn't mind scrimping on housing as long as she had her trophy car.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Since dating has now been brought into the equation, what kind of speed-dater will have the best success with someone who is leasing a car that is worth 40-50% of his/her home's worth?
It would depend on the crowd. In this crowd they'd generally be laughed out of the room.

Me, with my 9-year-old pickup truck, might have a chance.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

A.
I get the feeling if it weren't taboo, everyone would be asking for the potential date's net worth.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I get the feeling if it weren't taboo, everyone would be asking for the potential date's net worth.
I guess that kind of info (as well as criminal record) is now big business on the internet. In the "good old days" we got to know folks the old fashioned way: Asking around.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No shirt...
Well, here in ER Land, it's "No shirt, no shoes, no problem!"

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Well, here in ER Land, it's "No shirt, no shoes, no problem!"
Half the people posting on the forum probably aren't even wearing pants. *

* If anyone cares, I am fully dressed (and you should be too, shame on you! ) I'm wearing black Adidas gym shorts, the usual two underwear items, a brown striped t-shirt, Thorlo socks and my trusty New Balance shoes... having just come from the gym...

Old 11-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #37

Pants? We don't need no stinkin' pants....
Old 11-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Half the people posting on the forum probably aren't even wearing pants. *
First thing I did when I got my 'puter was to place masking tape over the camera port. Call me paranoid, but... Just sayin'.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many of these cars are first leased for a couple years and then sold on the used market.
Perhaps some of the cars were purchased used.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
First thing I did when I got my 'puter was to place masking tape over the camera port. Call me paranoid, but... Just sayin'.
Not a bad idea, considering that there are viruses that take control of the victim's computer Webcam.

See this, for example.

On the other hand, what do retired naked geezers and geezerettes care? Let the hackers who expect to catch a glimpse of young chicks take a peek. They are going to go blind, or get devoid of sexual desire for a while. That will teach them!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cars, houses, lbym, neighborhood