used car - clear title question

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
as i've had two leased cars (don't ride me: they were damned good deals) and mostly company cars during my working life, i haven't bought a used car since forever.

since real estate is in the toilet and i have no idea if the inherited house will sell, i'm forgoing that 335 i've been lusting after and settling for the likes of a stang gt vertible. i can live for about a year on aftertax $s with the cost savings.

i could do a new one but they don't make yellow anymore. i found a 2006 with 6k miles in yellow about 200 miles away from here.

i'm aware of carfax and i intend also to get the name of the current owner's service station and contact them. but i am not at all familiar with the process of safely buying a used car.

i assume the current owner bought the car with borrowed money and that the car is being used as collateral. i assume also that the current owner is selling because he can not afford the car.

how do i wind up with (& know that i have) clear title if the current owner would be using my purchase money to pay off his loan?

Usually the state you are in has guidelines for transactions of that sort. I am assuming this is a "private party transaction"? If so, I would do the following:

The Internet has sales agreements you can download that are state-specific, make sure you use the right state.

DO NOT fork over your money until you have a clear title that is stamped or otherwise notarized that says the lien is satisfied. When I used to buy cars this way, the seller AND I would go to the bank together and settle up, and then got to the DMV together to get the car licensed to me. If the seller didn't agree to that, no deal.

Of course, that was WAY before the Internet and such. However, Carfax is an excellent thing to have done on a car, they will pay to make you whole if their "findings" are inaccurate..............

thanx financedude. turns out i snoozed i losed. car's gone. could be worked out for the best. your advice looked so good it scared me. this is why i was never a deal maker in the business world.

looks like i'll have to be satisfied with a new 2007 white with tan interior. might have to dye my hair blonde to look good in it. everything buy's a compromise.

Are you a member of AAA? They give good advice and have title transfer services.

Leasing cars, missing deals, liking yellow cars ?!?, "settling" for a 2007?
You really are a lazygood4nothinbum :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom