used computer purchase

I have an IBM T30 it is the model made after the T20. It is about 3 or 4 years old I bought it on Ebay. I bought it used. It is built like a rock and is still going strong. You might want to try Ebay.

Khan --

I don't know if this is of any help, but I've had good luck buying cheap systems (the only kind I buy these days) from ecost.com's "Bargain Countdown". Two college laptops for around $500 each, a desktop for my mom for less than $300. Back when we had offices for the DH's company (98?) I picked up all of the systems (HP) there as recerts - also around $300 each.

I usually do a little 'updating' on arrival. This can range from flashing the bios if needed (to get rid of bugs/update) to updating drivers - not a bad practice with any reconditioned system.

All of the systems have been pretty recent models, and I've never had any problems with any of them (could be just luck, but there it is).

I buy components from Newegg and LOVE them, but their systems are high end for our now modest requirements.

Hope you can find what you need at a good price.

Oh dear god...go to the dell outlet and buy an el cheapo there brand new or refurbished for almost the same price...with a decent warranty, modern parts and software, and even some lousy tech support!

Or scrounge fatwallet for one of the $379-399 specials

Oh dear god...go to the dell outlet and buy an el cheapo there brand new or refurbished for almost the same price...with a decent warranty, modern parts and software, and even some lousy tech support!

Or scrounge fatwallet for one of the $379-399 specials
Or consult Craigslist for companies having going-out-of-business sales. I bought a Dell laptop from a training contractor for $400 and could have picked up five of them for $1500.

But you'll probably want to buy yourself an air conditioner first!

I've just never really found a good long term bargain in a used laptop. The batteries are usually weak, the cpu heatsink is stuffed with dust, and the hard drives probably taken a few whacks and may not live a lot of years.

What was that old movie? For a few dollars more? ;)

I've just never really found a good long term bargain in a used laptop. The batteries are usually weak, the cpu heatsink is stuffed with dust, and the hard drives probably taken a few whacks and may not live a lot of years.
What was that old movie? For a few dollars more? ;)
I agree-- this is like the 1988 Toyota in the other thread. It's just an old Dell Latitude D505 with a wireless card and a DVD drive. If it lasts a year I'm happy, and if not then I'll probably get another throwaway.

It's a combination of responsibility & hassle factors. I needed a #^&*ing laptop for my roadtrip and I didn't want to have to worry about banging it around or being assaulted for it. We'd already looked at Costco's $800-$1200 line (and their easy returns if the trip went badly) but coincidentally that Craigslist ad popped up to solve all my problems. It works good enough for surfing, e-mail, & word processing, and I get a couple hours out of the battery.

I like the reaction I get when I sit down in the departure lounge and haul it out of my backpack. The other laptop users sort of look away in embarrassment and find a reason to move elsewhere.

google the thread about the dell outlet and proxies

i got a smokin fast 'blemish' for 320 bux (1" scratch on tower)

amd dual core, 200 gb hd, cd/dvd burner, 1 gb ram etc

Just wear long pants when you're near that AMD box in case it decides to bite. And keep a heavy duty fire extinguisher handy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom