Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Used furniture buying
Old 12-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Used furniture buying

I have a townhome to furnish in Bonita Springs, FL.

Buying all new furniture would be quite expensive, and you guessed it, I'm frugal/cheap.

We did try to purchase a new couch. We put money down, and were told it will be available in February.

I'm not a big proponent of Facebook, but someone turned me on to their Marketplace section. I really like it. You only have to look at items near you, and you can see how long the seller has been registered, their seller reviews, and their front profile page.
You can text the seller, and most reply in a short timeframe. It seems like a safer more friendly option than Craigslist. Fewer scam artists, and better communication, at least so far.

Anyway, we have been finding great deals on some high quality used furniture.
It is almost fun to find something you really like at a great price. Kind of silly.

PS: Picked up a beautiful new used couch this morning, and cancelled our order for the new one. I've also been using the hell out of my truck. Never owned a pickup truck before, but there is no going back.

Take care, JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can often find good deals at local estate sales/auctions.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
I have a townhome to furnish in Bonita Springs, FL.

Buying all new furniture would be quite expensive, and you guessed it, I'm frugal/cheap.

We did try to purchase a new couch. We put money down, and were told it will be available in February.

I'm not a big proponent of Facebook, but someone turned me on to their Marketplace section. I really like it. You only have to look at items near you, and you can see how long the seller has been registered, their seller reviews, and their front profile page.
You can text the seller, and most reply in a short timeframe. It seems like a safer more friendly option than Craigslist. Fewer scam artists, and better communication, at least so far.

Anyway, we have been finding great deals on some high quality used furniture.
It is almost fun to find something you really like at a great price. Kind of silly.

PS: Picked up a beautiful new used couch this morning, and cancelled our order for the new one. I've also been using the hell out of my truck. Never owned a pickup truck before, but there is no going back.

Take care, JP
I'm all for used furniture but would not buy a used bed or and upholstered product.. wooden stuff that you can give a good cleaning fine...glad its working for you...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'm all for used furniture but would not buy a used bed or and upholstered product.. wooden stuff that you can give a good cleaning fine...glad its working for you...
This. We have some great consignment shops in our area and when in the market for non-upholstered furniture, I look there first. Upholstered is all new. Check out the Big Bang Theory episode where they find a beautiful chair on the curb!
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
This. We have some great consignment shops in our area and when in the market for non-upholstered furniture, I look there first. Upholstered is all new.
Thanks for that, glad to know it's not just me..
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - sign up for nextdoor.com , its like a local FB , has a selling and giving away section.

If I was just starting out, I could get TONs of free furniture, some looks so good I want it, but at the same time I'm downsizing
Old 12-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
This. We have some great consignment shops in our area and when in the market for non-upholstered furniture, I look there first. Upholstered is all new. Check out the Big Bang Theory episode where they find a beautiful chair on the curb!
I remember commuting in the SF Bay Area in the 1990s and the KCBS and KGO traffic folks would occasionally report stuff on the highway-mattresses, chairs, etc. One day they joked that one could furnish a house with what fell off of cars and trucks that day.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I remember commuting in the SF Bay Area in the 1990s and the KCBS and KGO traffic folks would occasionally report stuff on the highway-mattresses, chairs, etc. One day they joked that one could furnish a house with what fell off of cars and trucks that day.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #9

Foam of the past contained unhealthy fire retardants, so I'd try to confirm the furniture is from the last few years.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My wife has been collecting one brand of high line bedroom furniture on F/B Marketplace. It's the best place to buy furniture--except upholstered items which are best bought new.

We now have four bedrooms that look like they're out of a magazine. And my garage is full of our previous furniture that my wife's going to sell on Marketplace. And she's spent less than what one bedroom suite would cost on all four bedrooms

We replaced aging lake house appliances with stainless steel stove, dishwasher, side by side refrigerator and microhood for $800 on Marketplace. That's the cost of the stove new. And it's spotless--in new condition.

She also scored a Hancock & Moore leather hide-a-bed with goose down and feather cushions--$250. The bed's never even been slept on. H&M is absolutely the top of the line brand, and that couch cost over $7,000 new.

A church based thrift store is advertising on Marketplace. We bought two new matching chairs for $10 each--found online @ $400 each. The thrift store's furniture, lamps and artwork are really nice. Lots of area estates are being liquidated, and millennials don't want their family's traditional furnishings.

Marketplace items are treasures if you watch the listings closely and study prices.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #11

also on facebook you can find local area garage sales where people list items for sale. not the same as marketplace, but local to certain areas. I have found lots of good deals locally.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Can often find good deals at local estate sales/auctions.
One of my friends, after leaving a bad relationship, went to an estate sale and for around $900 bought enough furniture to furnish an entire 2 bedroom apartment. Then over the next couple years he gradually replaced everything with quality new and used stuff as sales and deals came along.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #13

I often wondered if there is an app that alerts you when a certain product comes up for sale on marketplace. I look at it almost every morning and if something interesting come up it is almost always spoken for within minutes. its hard to imagine someone monitoring facebook continuously in person.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My wife has been collecting one brand of high line bedroom furniture on F/B Marketplace. It's the best place to buy furniture--except upholstered items which are best bought new.

We now have four bedrooms that look like they're out of a magazine. And my garage is full of our previous furniture that my wife's going to sell on Marketplace. And she's spent less than what one bedroom suite would cost on all four bedrooms

We replaced aging lake house appliances with stainless steel stove, dishwasher, side by side refrigerator and microhood for $800 on Marketplace. That's the cost of the stove new. And it's spotless--in new condition.

She also scored a Hancock & Moore leather hide-a-bed with goose down and feather cushions--$250. The bed's never even been slept on. H&M is absolutely the top of the line brand, and that couch cost over $7,000 new.

A church based thrift store is advertising on Marketplace. We bought two new matching chairs for $10 each--found online @ $400 each. The thrift store's furniture, lamps and artwork are really nice. Lots of area estates are being liquidated, and millennials don't want their family's traditional furnishings.

Marketplace items are treasures if you watch the listings closely and study prices.

Yes Hancock and Moore are topnotch.
My brother used to mange a local furniture store that sold very good quality.
I ordered (when I was working full time) an H&M leather wing chair from him and even with a healthy discount it was pricey.
I used to harass him constantly because it took over 6 months to get it.
Now that we are retired I just can't see myself ordering things like that again.
We definitely scour the used options.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

Your wife does well. We, after 20 years, finally replaced a leather sofa/loveseat up north. Gal looked and looked and settled on a red fabric set from Macy's. Took about 2.5 months for them to arrive and within a month we returned them. Then a used leather Hancock and Moore set showed up on Craigslist. We spent over double what the new Macy's set cost. The H&M set included a recliner and ottoman, is over ten years old, and looks and feels great. Can't imagine spending the new prices on them though!
Old 12-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #16

I looked through about 100 photos of Hancock and Moore furniture and I'm not a fan of the look. Shiny leather with tufting is my least favorite style, and a lot of their stuff looks unbalanced. I'd buy it for the quality only, except this sofa looks nice:

Not sure if the color makes it feminine.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a new couch on order at Macys. Backordered for 2-3 months.
We were sitting on a used patio set in our livingroom. That got old quick.
We picked up a very nice coffee table for $50, and the woman had what looked like a new condition designer couch for sale for $100. WTH.
I get the " no used upholstery" idea, but I guess I'm not that fussy if it looks basically new.
There seems to be a lot of seldom used furniture for sale cheap around here, and new stuff isn't available.
I suspect for $125 an upholstery cleaner would give it a once over.
We furnished our whole lower level in higher end furniture for less than the new couch was going to cost, and we both think it looks great.
JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Different tastes. Ours are called Kodiac style and look like this;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hancock & Moore couches.jpg (244.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 12-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Different tastes. Ours are called Kodiac style and look like this;
That's balanced and comfy looking too, but the shininess highlights the wrinkles and makes it look stiffer than fabric or distressed leather. And colder against the skin, except when you're sweating in which case it's hotter and stickier.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Should I assume all the used-furniture-buyers have access to a truck?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote