Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The crucial difference between Fidelity and every other online deposit system is that Fidelity will accept deposits up to $10K. The other banks & credit unions only go up to $5K
FWIW, USAA bank accepts up to $10K. I just did that a week or two ago.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is morning here, maybe my bifocals need adjusting, but when a looked at the Apple store offerings earlier a new IPad 2 cost less than the same unit refurbished. I may have looked as they were adjusting prices.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Right now the website says "This feature is not available to you", and it's probably because we don't have a checking account there. I'm going to have to sign Dad up for a USAA checking account before I can get more info, but it looks like USAA limits the amount of scan deposits by user behavior/trust.

I'm going to wait for them to finish fixing the POD/TOD changes I asked them to make on his CDs, and then sign up for checking, and then find out how much we can deposit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oneanddone View Post
If you listen to alot of music and plan on storing alot of books and PDFs I would opt for the 32 but a 16 should be fine for your needs as you stated earlier.(I use an ipad2 16Gig wifi)
I would recommend the apple refurb store. At the least, you know what you are getting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have just from upgraded my iPad1 which I had owned for 2 1/2 years. I never noticed that the battery was going bad - didn't notice any battery problems at all, or any other type of degradation. I'm not sure about the optimal memory. I have a 64GB iPad, but I noticed that I didn't get close to half full in terms of storage. Maybe not even much past 1/4, and most of it was my extensive music collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
1. RAM is the same for each model of iPad.
If you're talking about local storage, the options are 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB.
It would take a long time to accumulate enough word processing files to really push 16 GB (assuming you don't have a lot of multimedia content locally).
I was talking both RAM and data memory, but if all models of the iPad2 have the same amount of RAM then I guess my preference doesn't matter. As for data, it looks like 16GB will be more than enough. On this last trip I was under 500KB of files that I "needed", and I only generated another 200KB. I don't watch much video or movies, so that's not a problem either.

Quote:
2. What kind of price difference are you seeing between refurbs and Craigslist? I don't know if refurbs have at least a 90-day warranty? They are reputedly in great condition, generally with no visible blemishes.
I noticed some price differences between 16GB and 64GB, but now I know what I want. If battery life is not a problem either then that makes Craigslist a little safer. I'll have to do more research.

Quote:
Also be aware that Apple is rumored to be coming out with an iPad Mini this month, which would be 7.85 inches. The resolution is expected to be the same as iPad 2 (but not the Retina Display of iPad 3) but with a smaller screen, resulting in a lighter form factor.
The smaller size would be more portable and the lighter model is probably better suited for bedside reading.
Of course the tradeoff is a smaller display, with text possibly not being as easy to read for older people.
Presbyopia is the main problem here. I don't enjoy trying to read on my Nook (even with reading glasses) because I'm spending more time pushing "next page" than I am reading the 100 words or so that fit on the screen. It'd be even more annoying if I was editing a document, scrolling & jumping around and moving text blocks.

So... 16GB iPad2 with WiFi (no 3G necessary), either Craigslist or refurb. Here we go:
Apple IPAD2 16 GB WIFI
ipad2 32g at&t. wifi cherry condition
16GB Wifi White Ipad 2
Ipad2 ($260, but not much info)
Maybe those include a case, maybe not.

And the Apple store:
Refurbished iPad 2 with Wi-Fi 16GB - White (2nd Gen.) - Apple Store (U.S.)
about $340 in stock. Looks like everyone's pricing right up there at the Apple store number.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

the iPad2 probably came with 16G, 32G or 64G option, just like the iPad1 and iPad3 did. It's just that you can only buy a 16G iPad2 from Apple now, but you should be able to find other memory sizes on Craig's list or wherever.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Nord's IPad is gone...

I called Apple and learned that the refurb inventory is posted overnight. The lady I spoke to said they are there when she comes to work, 6 am Central time.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I think I got a good deal. It's nice to win one on Craigslist for a change.

Here's the ad that my spouse spotted this morning (posted 2 AM this morning, cut & pasted with verbatim grammar, spelling, and upper/lower case):
Quote:
ipad 2 16gb for sale - $300
ITEM IS IN GREAT SHAPE. WIFI ONLY BUT U CAN UPGRADE TO GET YOUR OWN SERVICE
BEST OFFER OKAY
Hmm, clearly a hard-nosed negotiator. I e-mailed my phone number and indicated that when she called I'd drop everything and come running. She finally called back in the late afternoon and turned out to be the chatty type who has to tell you about her day for 10 minutes before she's ready to do business. I was supposed to sit there and listen. She finally said "I have a lot of e-mails about this iPad. Is $300 a good price?" I told her I'd have to see it before I could decide. I didn't mention that the Apple store had reconditioned iPads for $319 and that hers was the second-cheapest one on Craigslist. She had decided that $300 was the right price and she wasn't going to change her mind.

My usual Craigslist seller involves a 40-minute drive across the island, maybe the item resembles the photo, and perhaps they have the box too. Missing parts are common. Everything else is a shrug or a blank stare. Sometimes they want to talk but usually they're in the middle of moving and everything is chaos.

This time I only had to drive two miles to meet her at a parking lot. She was in a black Cadillac Escalade, running the A/C and the engine with her window down while we were talking. She seemed too overweight to be bothered with getting out of the vehicle, so she just passed things out to me through the driver's window. She was in a hurry to meet her friends at the movie theater but I still got the entire blow-by-blow history of the iPad, from her driving into the parking lot of the military exchange store until she decided to sell it. She spent $620 for it last August. It's the black case and it's pristine. She also gave me the box with its original wrapping, the "old" charger & cable, the original sales receipt, all the documentation, the Apple logo decals, and even the little paper-clip tool to pop open the 3G SIM tray. She bought the transferable two-year extended warranty for $99, she bought the black leather case for $35. She watched a couple movies on it and checked her e-mail once, but she hadn't used it "for a few months". I clicked the home button and tried the icons, and its WiFi antenna managed to find a couple routers near the parking lot. It seemed fine. She said it didn't have anything saved on it and she'd upgraded to an iPad3. As far as she was concerned, the iPad2 was yesterday's news and the iPad3 was her new shiny toy. I have no idea why she bought the iPad2 in the first place, let alone the iPad3. Of course I can't even tell that it was her iPad2 but she had the unlock code for it.

I managed not to wag my tail and I kept the goofy grin off my face, while reluctantly agreeing that it was worth $300. She rolled up her window as soon as I handed over the cash, and she was out of the parking lot before I even got back to my car.

So now I'm tweaking the settings, downloading software, and charging it up. I'm looking forward to reading one of my eBooks on it tonight, and tomorrow I'm going keyboard testing.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

It's early days, but I think I'm going to get along just fine with this iPad2. I still need to go keyboard/case shopping.

The previous owner put almost nothing on it, so it's nearly a blank slate. It's also running iOS4.3.3, so this is probably a good time to make an upgrade decision. From the iOS update site (iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch) it looks like I'm going to have to plug this iPad into my PC and make a backup using iTunes. I don't actually have anything on the iPadthat I care to back up, but hey, that's what the website suggests doing. Maybe it backs up serial numbers or WiFi settings or something else.

First, is there any reason to upgrade to a later OS? It seems to make sense since apps will not necessarily be backwards compatible to iOS4, but I'd hate to apply PC logic to Apple gear.

If the first answer is "Yes", then do I want iOS5 or iOS6? Does either carry a performance penalty on an iPad2's hardware?

If the second answer is iOS6, do I have to upgrade to iOS5 first and then iOS6, or can I make just one great leap forward?

Anything else I should watch out for during this upgrade? I haven't actually found the instructions for going from iOS4 to 5 yet, but I haven't looked very hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yesterday I used Fidelity's iPad app to deposit Dad's long-term care check, and it deposited just as if it was an electronic funds transfer. He's good to go for another month!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

You may not be offered both iOS 5 or iOS 6, maybe just the latter.

iOS 5 gets you iCloud, so you can back up to online and not have to connect to the pc.

Yes restoring from backup will preserve your apps and system settings like wifi. Some apps may preserve app-specific settings. It will copy over the music you had before. Probably photos and videos too.

iCloud is a nice upgrade for not having to connect to PC though if you do, you can sync over your bookmarks for instance.

With iOS 6 you get a different Maps app, which no longer use google mapping data. This has stirred controversy as apple's mapping data isn't as good. You also lose street view, which is slick on iPad. (So is google Earth)
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Yes, you want iTunes. Backing up to the PC is handy. It's also a good way to share stuff with your PC.

I'm thinking you'll have the option to upgrade to OS 5.1.1 - that's a good choice.

iOS 5.1.1 ran fine on my iPad1, so you shouldn't have performance issues.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Well I set my iPad 3 to back up to iCloud and didn't have a problem upgrading it from iOS5 to iOS6.

It doesn't take up much of the free 5 GB space you have on your iCloud account.

I just got my iPhone 5 and restored my iPhone 4 back up which was local. But set my iPhone 5 to back up to iCloud as well.

For both, I set to sync via Wifi. I sync every day, whether app. updates or new podcasts. I've been connecting but I also have chargers throughout the house. So I think when it's connected to a power source, it will sync any new content.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #51

Since it's an iPad2, go to IOS6 (either directly if that option is offered or first with IOS5). iTunes will tell you there is an upgrade available and manage the process. Once you have IOS6, you can do further updates directly over WIFI.

No disadvantage to moving to IOS6. I am running it on an old iPhone 4 and it is perky.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I have had a refurbished IPad 1 for 2 years, use it daily, and have not noticed any loss of battery power. Dumb question of the day. Do these things have any built in security features such as anti virus, etc. to conduct financial transactions on, or do you have to purchase it? I have avoided all financial matters on this iPad because I don't know.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Well because they review the apps or curate it, there's less of a chance of viruses or other malware sneaking in.

If you use the browser, it supports the same SSL encryption so when you use a bank web site the lock icon should show on those pages.

As for bank apps, you can bet that major banks won't put out apps. Without using the same secure methods as their web sites.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have had a refurbished IPad 1 for 2 years, use it daily, and have not noticed any loss of battery power. Dumb question of the day. Do these things have any built in security features such as anti virus, etc. to conduct financial transactions on, or do you have to purchase it? I have avoided all financial matters on this iPad because I don't know.
I go through the browser to do any bank transactions on the iPad - same secure communications as on my laptop.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I recently "upgraded" to iOS6 and was very disappointed to see the embedded YouTube app disappear. There is a YouTube app for iPhone but it is not customized for the iPad. Also, when I go to YouTube from Safari, an increasing number of videos are not available. Apple is ducking it out with Google at my expense. Can't they just all get along?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade
You may not be offered both iOS 5 or iOS 6, maybe just the latter.

iOS 5 gets you iCloud, so you can back up to online and not have to connect to the pc.

Yes restoring from backup will preserve your apps and system settings like wifi. Some apps may preserve app-specific settings. It will copy over the music you had before. Probably photos and videos too.

iCloud is a nice upgrade for not having to connect to PC though if you do, you can sync over your bookmarks for instance.

With iOS 6 you get a different Maps app, which no longer use google mapping data. This has stirred controversy as apple's mapping data isn't as good. You also lose street view, which is slick on iPad. (So is google Earth)
Thanks for everyone's advice. iTunes jumped me right up to iOS6... a three-hour download through iTunes and then a while for the iPad. I'm not sure how long it took the iPad to do the upgrade-- I left it in progress and it was done when I returned nine hours later. But "it just worked".

I'm typing this on the Logitech keyboard as suggested earlier. $99 at Amazon (plus S&H) or $95 at the local Navy Exchange (no tax or S&H, returnable for 45 days). It's a nice solid feel, but it's lightweight compared to the Brookstone keyboard I saw a couple months ago. Different setups, too-- the Logitech puts the iPad in a support slot during use. When it's stowed it lays on top (like a clamshell). This means that I can tuck it all away in the existing case (no extra expense for a new case) and the iPad is supported by the keyboard instead of by the case. Logitech claims about six months of battery life if it's used two hours/day.

The key action is pretty good-- they appear to be real keys with a clicking sound, but very quiet. I have XXL hands but they fit comfortably on the keys. Of course this is a Mac keyboard so it has a bunch of strange keys that I have to learn how to use, and I'm not at all familiar with the keyboard option/cmd shortcuts. That'll come with time.

So far so good. I can type on this for a couple hours and probably format a blog post. Now to download Apple's word-processing program and load a few eBooks. I won't miss the bulk of the laptop one bit, and now I can sell the Nook.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I love being able to sync/backup my iPad with my laptop over wifi. No cable. The iPad can be lying around anywhere in the house, and if I launch iTunes on the laptop, it shows the iPad, and I can click to sync. Very nice!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

How many gigs of data do you get per month for $20 (I think you said)
Also, how do you make a check deposit with the I Pad? Do you take a picture of check? How does it work?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Apple is ducking it out with Google at my expense. Can't they just all get along?
Not when billions of dollars are at stake! The gloves are off. They are fighting for your expenses, i.e. money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
How many gigs of data do you get per month for $20 (I think you said)
Also, how do you make a check deposit with the I Pad? Do you take a picture of check? How does it work?
With Verizon, you get 1GB per month for $20.

For depositing a check, you simply enter the amount you want to deposit and then take pictures of the front and back of the check.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote