Using laptop in recliner - how?

Since retiring (10 yrs now), have been using inexpensive 11" SSD laptops in my recliner (carried larger laptops throughout my career). Like the keyboard and expanded usage of these laptops over tablets and chromebooks. I used to do some very part-time consulting, and the smaller laptops have worked well. The SSDs are not as warm as the regular hard drive smaller laptops I've used early on. I have an end table that I use for a wired optical mouse pad (wireless mouse performance was too erratic), and a legal pad size hardboard clipboard under laptop to move it to/from the end table to my lap (clipboard isolates laptop from overheating, and protects the connections from wear and tear damage of constant moving of laptop from end table to lap).

Last edited:
I use my laptop on the recliner all the time. In warmer weather I use a beanbag type laptop desk like someone posted above, and/or a USB fan thing under it. It really only gets warm if I'm doing something video intensive.

This is exactly what I stopped by to add. I've had my lapdesk for over 15 years now and it's still going strong. It's one of the few things that will make the "final survivor cut" when we do a super purge and downsize the house.

It's also great for doing crossword puzzles and holding a plate with pizza or a sandwich on it. Just sayin'. :D

This is exactly what I stopped by to add. I've had my lapdesk for over 15 years now and it's still going strong. It's one of the few things that will make the "final survivor cut" when we do a super purge and downsize the house.

It's also great for doing crossword puzzles and holding a plate with pizza or a sandwich on it. Just sayin'. :D

As I said, DW uses one. I just don’t see how you guys can use them for any length of time given the way you have to look down into your lap. I worked hunched over a desk for decades. I don’t see how it’s comfortable at all to be hunched over even more to look down into your lap.

But, to the OP’er, what is it about your laptop in your lap that you don’t like? The position or the heat or something else?

Being hunched over kills my neck. I tried putting it on a pillow that was hot and slippery. I think it needs to be taller. . . . And it weighs like 6+ lbs (pretty old). Needs an upgrade.

This was kind of inspired by the thread on the 17 laptop cause I was thinking bigger screen would be nice but then . . . I want to be comfortable at home too.

Having the recliner footrest out rather limits table possibilities..

Last edited:
iPad is resting on my hand my hand is on my stomach and I’m leaning back sitting my cushy rocker watching the rain through the open garage door... just went out to the greenhouse to check the veggies.. pretty comfy for writing short blurbs.

Back
Top Bottom