Join Early Retirement Today

Using New Technology
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Using New Technology

Keeping up with changes in technology is an awesome task. We're approached from every side with new uses, and almost everything we thought we knew, is outdated before we get to use it.

Since we've had so many different threads on new advances, even on this single website, it's easy to lose track of or miss things that can help us in our daily lives, as well as missing opportunities to save time or money.

Instead of waiting perhaps it would help to have a central point to just mention items of technology that are new to some of us... not so much to instruct or explain but just to "share".

Whether communications, internet, new medical breakthroughs, health, or any other facet of our daily lives that involves new technology... just a word or two, or a website that involves "New"... that others may be interested in.

For starters... here's a relatively new item that could be a game changer for Network TV.

$8 per month for internet based live streaming television.

https://www.aereo.com/

And... another interesting development for those who use Roku. Hundreds of new (mostly free) television specialty stations, available on Roku. Recently updated on the Roku "Channel Store". I stopped counting when I got to 300 new stations. Other media players also offer many of these same channels.
Channel Store | Roku Streaming Player

And one last "new" place to locate the hundreds of UTube movies that are available. Pegleg.it (takes a long time to do the initial download)
Pegleg

If you have anything "new" to add, please give a mention. Doesn't have to be a big deal... and doesn't have to be just internet related. Newer Google or Apple or Android offering... or phones or medical stuff. Just a note that those who might be interested, might explore.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
If you have anything "new" to add, please give a mention.
Photography is changing just as fast as anything else. Since it all (for the most part) went digital that means what a camera is, is a computer designed to take photos or video.

Case in point: The Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System) that uses a commander flash to fire a pre-flash - before the exposure flash - to measure reflectivity of the subject. Then the actual flash happens to light the subject, all literally faster than an eyeblink.

What this means is that within the limitations of the power of the flash you can set the aperture and shutter speed to whatever you want and the flash follows along, providing the light needed. The computer in the camera does all the calculations about guide numbers and such that used to be done by hand. Further, one can then tell it to adjust exposure by X amount plus or minus and it will do so.

So for a close-up photo it all happens automagically.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Macro_shots-1.jpg (122.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Partial_penny.jpg (208.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
gone traveling

Here are a few vehicle safety technology advances, which have probably saved many lives and helped avoid many accidents.. Examples: (ABS) Anti-lock Braking System, (ESC) Electronic Stability Control and (TCS) Traction Control Systems. I have/had vehicles with all of these features and vehicles with none of them. Personally, I feel so much safer in the vehicles that have them and I have seen them all in action (so to speak). I'm sure there are many more that could be added to the list like air bags, seat belts, etc.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Coming
Scanadu... Currently $150... sensor to phone or computer... health diagnostics.
Scanadu Scout - Biometric devices - CNET Reviews

Reads blood flow, blood oxygen level, electrical heart activity (ECG), temperature, and heart rate.

Neartime future add ons ... ScanaFlu and Scanaflo... To test saliva for cold, flu, and strep throat, and urine for pregnancy complications, kidney failure and urinary tract infections.

Also. here now or coming... new devices, built in to sunglasses or eyeglasses... ala Glass... for GPS, respiration, body temp, pulse, etc. Skiers, runners, and all exercise activities.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

For starters... here's a relatively new item that could be a game changer for Network TV.

$8 per month for internet based live streaming television.

https://www.aereo.com/.
I've been following Aero, it seems like a good idea and I hope it takes off, but I can't switch to it until it gets a wider variety of networks. I can't give up my Doctor Who :P Also when they make their own device to hook up to the TV. I watch the majority of my TV while working on my computer, so I need it on another device, and I don't want to go through a third party.

I keep up with the TED talks on technology, it's a great resource. They also have great talks on just anything you can imagine. It's inspirational and motivational and sad and gorgeous. One of my favorite sites. TED: Ideas worth spreading
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote