Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It's only for mail that gets scanned. Not junk type mail
I get lots of junk mail scanned to informed delivery. The weekly grocer sales are never scanned but the endless stream of realtor ads always are, along with the requests for donations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I can't say for how long this has been an issue but it seems like it was when the sorting stations were falling way behind last year. Maybe they stopped it to try to improve sorting time, or maybe they stopped because they didn't want to show a scan of mail that wouldn't get to me for a few more days.
I notice days where there is nothing scanned but mail is still delivered. Usually 100% junk, not always. It doesn’t happen often enough to track, but it definitely happens.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'd say that's a regional thing.. You're a tad harsh.
In our neighborhood, it's business as usual for the P.O. and it's getting worse as time goes on. And the Postmaster won't do anything about the pi$$ poor service after several folks have met with him. I'll stop there rather than risk a ban.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
In our neighborhood, it's business as usual for the P.O. and it's getting worse as time goes on. And the Postmaster won't do anything about the pi$$ poor service after several folks have met with him. I'll stop there rather than risk a ban.
That's too bad,our zip code ends in 9 and we still get great service.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Informed Delivery is fine for us. Some issues during the Great Mail Slowdown of winter 2020-2021, but since then no issues.

We get images of everything, including junk mail, except for those things too large to be scanned (like large shopping flyers and very large envelopes), but that is indicated in the daily email and website.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I get lots of junk mail scanned to informed delivery. The weekly grocer sales are never scanned but the endless stream of realtor ads always are, along with the requests for donations.

I notice days where there is nothing scanned but mail is still delivered. Usually 100% junk, not always. It doesn’t happen often enough to track, but it definitely happens.

I will get scans of mass mailing that come in regular envelopes....so I think we are talking about the same things.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I like our local PO. A number of years ago we started seeing mail in wrong boxes. I heard this was because the carrier had a head injury, but he eventually retired. The next one and the current one are really good. Very few mistakes. If I have a package too big to fit in one of the lockers they call and ask if I went it left there or pick it up at the PO. She's handled a couple other exception cases for me very well. This is a tiny rural PO, and I'm sure they don't scan there.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
One of the emails says there's a piece of mail they don't have an image for. The other four show a USPS job ad under Mail (doesn't look like a scanned image and I don't get this in the actual mail)...
Like this? I think the advertising is a new thing they're doing. I expect we'll actually get no mail today despite the (2) next to Today. The piece counts for the other days were correct, although Friday had two with no images.

edit: So we actually did get an ad from Thistle in the mail. It's different than the image on the dashboard though. We also got the voter information pamphlet for the upcoming election from the state and the continuing education pamphlet from the local community college, neither of which was on the dashboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-08-18 114443.jpg (130.0 KB, 25 views)
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I like our local PO. A number of years ago we started seeing mail in wrong boxes. I heard this was because the carrier had a head injury, but he eventually retired. The next one and the current one are really good. Very few mistakes. If I have a package too big to fit in one of the lockers they call and ask if I went it left there or pick it up at the PO. She's handled a couple other exception cases for me very well. This is a tiny rural PO, and I'm sure they don't scan there.

Does your zip end in a 9, I heard once the 9 means end of the road. I suspect our mail gets scanned in MSP...sometimes local local letters don't get on the daily email but that's to be expected.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Like this? I think the advertising is a new thing they're doing. I expect we'll actually get no mail today despite the (2) next to Today. The piece counts for the other days were correct, although Friday had two with no images.

I think they make money off those and that's fine. I see them more often now.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

it depends on the class of mail used. Delivery or bulk mail, usually not scanned (magazines for example), but more targeted addressed stuff will be, including first class and up. I can't remember the time I got a legit piece of mail like a bill or letter that wasn't included in the scans for the day.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Yes, that first one. One other one 3 or 4 weeks back.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:56 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does your zip end in a 9, I heard once the 9 means end of the road. I suspect our mail gets scanned in MSP...sometimes local local letters don't get on the daily email but that's to be expected.
I'm a 7.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm a 7.
Me, too - but DW is a 10.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Does your zip end in a 9, I heard once the 9 means end of the road.
Sounds like an urban myth to me. For example, I grew up in NYC which had 2-digit "zones" long before the ZIP (Zone Improvement Plan) was implemented. Ours ended in 9, and we were nowhere near the edge of the city. They simply put a three-digit code in front of our zone so our ZIP became a 5-digit number ending in 9.

Interestingly, I have a friend who used to live in an Ohio town that has AFAIK the only place with a repeating zip code: 44444.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Sounds like an urban myth to me. For example, I grew up in NYC which had 2-digit "zones" long before the ZIP (Zone Improvement Plan) was implemented. Ours ended in 9, and we were nowhere near the edge of the city. They simply put a three-digit code in front of our zone and our ZIP became a 5-digit number ending in 9.

Interestingly, I have a friend who used to live in an Ohio town that has AFAIK the only place with a repeating zip code: 44444.

I don't know if it's urban legend or not but our zip serves less then 500 people so it makes a good story.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's only for mail that gets scanned. Not junk type mail
Oh, we get plenty of junk mail that is scanned. There are size limitations, however. Two pieces for us today.

No issues with ours. Sometimes it will be delivered the following day, but that's the rare exception.

Also, the ads you see on occasion are called "digital mailings". From the USPS FAQs:

Quote:
Users receive emails to the email address in their personal USPS.com® account containing grayscale images of the exterior, address side of up to 10 pieces of incoming letter-sized mail that is arriving soon. These images are also accessible on the Informed Delivery dashboard at informeddelivery.USPS.com. Only the first 10 pieces of mail appear in the email at this time. The remaining mail images can be viewed on your dashboard. This measure helps limit the size of emails being sent to users.

Additionally, participating mailers can supplement their digital mailpiece with a clickable and interactive color image below the grayscale image, or provide an image to replace the grayscale image. This functionality is also available for packages. Shippers can supplement package information provided by Informed Delivery with a clickable and interactive color image. Users are able to click either the ride-along image or the "Learn More " button to access the mailer's digital content.
https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Infor...ery-The-Basics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg junk.jpg (88.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #37

Quote:
I don't know if it's urban legend or not but our zip serves less then 500 people so it makes a good story.
In that case maybe it falls in the category of rural legend?
Old 08-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Sounds like an urban myth to me. For example, I grew up in NYC which had 2-digit "zones" long before the ZIP (Zone Improvement Plan) was implemented. Ours ended in 9, and we were nowhere near the edge of the city. They simply put a three-digit code in front of our zone so our ZIP became a 5-digit number ending in 9.

We all know NYC is special...
Old 08-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Oh, we get plenty of junk mail that is scanned. There are size limitations, however. Two pieces for us today.

No issues with ours. Sometimes it will be delivered the following day, but that's the rare exception.

We don't get scans of stuff like that...
Old 08-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #40

Quote:
We all know NYC is special...
Well, in my case it's a great place to be from.
Loved it while growing up (no cracks, please) but never going back.