Van Halen concert Tuesday night

jIMOh

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone here seen Van Halen on their reunion tour? I remember being a senior in HS in 1991 and VH fans were saying Roth would NEVER be back in band.

Well 17 years later never happened.

First concert in cincy was cancelled.
Hoping the show tomorrow is a good one.

I'm pretty much finished paying $150 for "reunion" tours, unless John and George are reincarnated...

Last time I saw Jethro Tull (which, btw was a good show except for Ian Anderson's voice...), the tour was named "A Leg To Stand On", an obvious reference to Anderson's signature stance while playing flute. We jokingly renamed it the "Leg To Retire On" tour... :p

IMHO, Van Hagar couldn't hold to candle...

I saw them on the 1984 tour. Took me 3 days to hear again.

I think I'll leave it at that. A couple of them look like my grandmother now.

My first rock concert was Black Sabbath and Van Halen in 1978. I'm not sure my hearing recovered. As far as I can remember it was a great show. VH had just released their debut and was the warm up. Ozzy was still the singer for Sabbath.

We saw The Police at Wrigley Field last summer. Didn't expect much, DW wanted to go, but it was one of the best concerts we've ever been to. I think they're touring this year too...

And I agree Van Hagar was never as good as Van Halen (and DL Roth has gone over the edge, so they won't be back).

Secondhand review of a recent Texas VH show via a friend:
  • EVH was outstanding, definitely worth the price of admission.
  • Wolfgang is talented on the bass, but somewhat dull as a performer.
  • DLR changes his outfits several times and remembered the lyrics.
Like JB, I saw VH in 1978. They were the opening act in a three-act show at a 3000-seat hall (for Kansas, pre-Steve Perry, and Ronnie Montrose.) I think they brought enough speakers to power a stadium show.

Any Springsteen / E-Street fans out there? I've been a bit of a fair-weather fan over the years, but I went to the show last week and was blown away. If he's coming to your town, go.

Well, have never see Springsteen...

Trying to pick a best concert is like trying to pick your favorite 11yo to impregnate. Oh, wait, that's another thread... :p

Has anyone here seen Van Halen on their reunion tour? I remember being a senior in HS in 1991.....

I went to the show in February '08 in Tampa. I'm a few years older than you, class of '88. It was a great show, although my seat sucked, wish I would have spent a little more $, but not compatible with FIRE, LOL. They had a big jumbotron which helped see the little ants on stage.

The guys are looking a little "weathered" (except for Wolfgang of course) but sounded great. Eddie can still shred like no other. Dave can't hit all of the high notes and high kicks but still can rock the house. Alex awesome on drums. Kinda missed Mike and his Jack Daniels (Jim Beam?) bass but oh well. If you like the early 'Halen stuff you will love it, like a greatest hits show. Awesome guitar solo. A great time, glad I went, surprised they haven't self-destructed by now, LOLO0

I like Van Hagar, sorry for the haters out there. Saw Hagar with Vince Neil at Darien Lakes (NY) around 1992 or 1993.

Roth is solid rock and roll singer
Hagar has more range and did some slow and some harder.

Favorate songs-
Women In Love
Beautiful Girl
Running with the Devil
Ice Cream Man
Is This Love
Dreams
Poundcake
Me Wise Magic

At my wedding reception we were introduced as Mr and Mrs to Dreams
Poundcake is probably my favorate song ever

SH is definitely a better singer than DLR, but DLR just seemed to fit better. Something wrong with VH doing ballads... :p

"I'm your ice cream man, stop me when I'm passin' by. Oh, my my..."

Glad to hear EVH somehow got things worked out. Last i heard about this tour, they supposedly cancelled the whole thing cause EVH was going to go back in rehab.

My ER approach on Van Halen music was seeing DLR (with his personal group) at a carnival for, basically, the price of entry into the carnival (5 bucks I think). He was pretty awesome.

I hope they make a DVD somewhere along this reunion tour, I'll buy>:D

So, how was the show? (please post when your head stops pounding from all the drinking you did, LOL:D)

Last edited:
No drinking, sorry. I have two kids in the ICU (27 days old), so I want to keep a clear head for them in case hospital calls.

The show was excellent. I am amazed at the stage presence of David Lee Roth. Even at 50+ his stage presence trumped everyone I have seen except maybe Stephen Tyler.

Better than Vince Neil, better than Sammy Hagar, better than any front man for any band I have seen live (Def Leppard, Motley Crue x2, Aerosmith x3, Tesla x2, Skid Rowx2, VH x2, Buffet, Kiss) probably missed a few in there as well.

The music was awesome, sounded just like it did on the CD. Started with album 1, did arund 5 songs, then went to album 2, played another 3 or 4, then album 3 for 2-3 more, then album 4 with 1-2 more then album 5 with one or two, then back to 2, then 3 then 4 then 5- building up to some stuff off 1984.

I was disappointed they did not play some of my favs:
Me Wise Magic
In a Simple Rhyme
Women in Love

but the rest of there history was covered in a 2 hour set.

There appeared to be a chemistry issue between DLR and EVH. DLR also lost the mic stand two times when twirling it.

I was going to go with a friend, he called in sick a few hours before, so my wife went with me (she is not a VH fan by any means). She was impresssed with the loudness and the talent of EVH.

My vote for best frontman is Steve Marriott, RIP, of Humble Pie.

My ears are still ringing from seeing VH in the late 80s...

My ears are still ringing from seeing VH in the late 80s...
I had a similar experience with Blue Oyster Cult (where the heck on the keybord is the umlat?!) and Foghat back in 1982. At least what I can remember of it.

"OK, Ensign Nords, we're gonna measure your baseline hearing ability now so that we can see if it's degraded by submarine engine room noise. Ensign? Hello?"

No drinking, sorry. I have two kids in the ICU (27 days old), so I want to keep a clear head for them in case hospital calls.

Glad you enjoyed the show. God bless your children:angel::angel:

although praying isnt my thing, i'll say a prayer for your little ones

The little ones are stable and doing OK. They were born at 28 weeks (and turned 4 weeks old last night).

Ds1 2 lbs 12 oz at birth is now 3 lbs 4 oz
Ds2 2 lbs 6 oz at birth is now 3 lbs 4 oz

Ds2 is having a tough go- NEC infection 2 weeks ago and having some oxygen level issues in blood this week. The NEC is cured, but the oxygen levels put him back on breathing support last night (both kids were off all breathing support within 5 days of birth).

Back
Top Bottom