Vancouver 2010

The Skeleton? What the heck, that is nuts, face first on a sled...now that is where you send those kids going full speed down hills on their skateboards...instead of scolding them, send them to the olympics! eaaaak!

Wish I had known it was going to be an Olympic sport . As a kid we always rode our flexible flyer's face first down high school hill . The trick was to turn before you ended on the only highway that went through our town . Sometimes to jazz things up we would put sleds side by side and trade sleigh ropes and then slide down face first .

At least I'm not the only person who was thinking that! What a terrifying event.

I've been thinking that if I were 30 years younger, I would definitely want to do it. It looks like fun.

I've been thinking that if I were 30 years younger, I would definitely want to do it. It looks like fun.

It would probably be lots of fun except during a crash (at over 90 mph). I don't think that is for me. :)

My favorite Olympics Comments, Verbiage, or Signs for 2010...

Consolation~

"You guys are undefeated with the Telestrator"

Runner up~

(heard this one on the radio:)
"Is there anything hotter than a woman yelling "HARDER!!!"?

Winner~

"Hurry Hard" (sign a fan was holding @ a curling match)

Does anyone know how to find the EXACT time the pairs Ice Dancing event will be broadcast tonight on NBC? :confused:

I found it tonight, Freebird, right after switching back to NBC after watching the thrilling USA v. Canada hockey game on one of the sister networks.

This shot of a pair of French competitors really captures the spirit of the event for me. ;)

To each his own, as the saying goes...

610x.jpg

Curling...Curling...why can't I get enough of this sport? Women with jewelry and men with cell phones on their belts. What a sport...

Yep - Danish women pep talking each other in Danish and talking with their Canadian coach in English - what a hoot - nephew had recorded most events - so it was on in the background while visiting down in San Diego.

heh heh heh - have no clue what was going on but reminded me of my mis-spent youth playing longboard shuffleboard in the taverns of the PacNW :cool:.

Yep - Danish women pep talking each other in Danish and talking with their Canadian coach in English - what a hoot - nephew had recorded most events - so it was on in the background while visiting down in San Diego.
In the Russia/Czech hockey game yesterday, the guy doing the reporting from near the ice (between the two teams' benches) reported that they were all taking amongst each other in their native tongues, but yelled insults and such at the other team's bench in English.

What overwhelms me is NBC coverage of women's curling. The announcer actually managed to include in the same sentence "US women's curling team" "breathtaking" and "heartbreaking". Alpine skiing and ice hockey haven't got a chance...

Looks like the Germans are coming up with a way to deflect attention from a medal count:
Naked sled race draws 14,000 - The Local
Beware. Story and image has to do with downhill sledding sans tops.

"But the logistical challenges didn’t keep around 30 contestants from stripping down to their panties or briefs and racing the 100-metre course on little red and black sledges. Many of the tanned racers looked more ready for the beach than the piste, as some even bared what had to be rather chilly nipple rings".
"The 26-year-old Christian Schmidt from Blankenburg in Saxony-Anhalt won the race, but the crowd saved much of its applause for a 70-year-old pensioner who spontaneously stripped down to sledge the hill on his own".

I'm actually enjoying watching the Olympics this year. But I do think that the commentators are idiots.

Example: "She's got a look of intense concentration on her face" for a snowboarder who's face is covered with helmet, goggles and scarf. Not a speck of actual face showing.

The worst example was the men's pursuit cross-country skiing. They kept saying "Gee, Bob, I don't know how they can perform in this heat." It was 50 degrees out. If it were 50 degrees during a marathon, they'd be saying "I don't know how they can perform in this cold." Cross country skiing is just running with inconvenient things stuck to your shoes.

My favorite dumb sports expression: "You can't win the gold in this part of the competition, but you can lose it." Total baloney because "win" is equivalent to "not lose."

Where is John Madden when you need him? He would be a hoot to listen to and watch him go bonkers with the electronic screen pen, circling and drawing enthusiastic lines.:LOL:

Where is John Madden when you need him? He would be a hoot to listen to and watch him go bonkers with the electronic screen pen, circling and drawing enthusiastic lines.:LOL:

Dang - that reminds me - I left my Saints cap at my nephews in San Diego.

heh heh heh - :D He - Son of my Sister has stuck with the Pats even though she(thinks Brett was cute and switched in time for him leave Green Bay). She even thought the Russian figure skater with the big nose was cute so she pulled for him.

And to think I wasted thirty years(at least) trying to get her to consider index funds and consider the ole 60/40 - just like traditional pension funds used to do.

At least she rooted for the American womens curling team - cause the Danes were too talkative. :confused: No - I don't make this stuff up. :cool:

Wouldn't it make sense, and I know this is a radical idea, if each team had consistent uniforms that were the color of their country's flags?

The US uniforms are sometimes light green, sometimes red, sometimes dark blue and light blue, sometimes red, and sometimes farmer plaid. It sure would be easier to identify the competitors from one event to the next.

Wouldn't it make sense, and I know this is a radical idea, if each team had consistent uniforms that were the color of their country's flags?

The US uniforms are sometimes light green, sometimes red, sometimes dark blue and light blue, sometimes red, and sometimes farmer plaid. It sure would be easier to identify the competitors from one event to the next.

Oh, I don't know, T'Al. I just loved the US skateboarders' baggy jeans and check shirts. They would have fit right in at the mall. And Jon Montgomery might not have won the skeleton if he hadn't gotten an Aboriginal artist to design the thunderbird (representing the first people on whose land he was competing) and turtle (his personal emblem) on his helmet. Of course, he's no turtle.....but I like the creativity!

I totally agree. I was just whining about that to my hubby a few days ago. At the very least they could have a huge 'USA' on their backs or something.

I do think that the commentators are idiots.

They're soooo bad it's embarrassing. At first DW and I thought we must be watching a spoof, a Saturday Night Live thing or something. But no, it was our good ole USA dumber-than-a-stump and full of themselves commentators flapping their ignorant traps..... :nonono:

One thing that's becoming abundantly clear is that the Winter Games are not about European domination any more. In particular, the U.S. and Canada are winning medals -- and golds -- where only Europeans have done so in the past. And there are other areas as well -- the South Koreans are powerful in short track, the Chinese in the aerials, and the Aussies pick up a few surprising medals along the way (it's not like Australia itself is a hotbed of snowy and icy recreation).

Consider that this is the first time the U.S. has ever won a medal in Nordic events (2 silvers). Ice dancing was *always* won by Euros until this year when Canada and the U.S. took gold and silver. Women's 2-person bobsled was swept by Canada and the U.S. We're seeing a lot more Americans winning medals (including golds) in skiing than we ever saw when I was younger.

They're soooo bad it's embarrassing. At first DW and I thought we must be watching a spoof, a Saturday Night Live thing or something. But no, it was our good ole USA dumber-than-a-stump and full of themselves commentators flapping their ignorant traps..... :nonono:

Living in a border area I have been watching commentators from both Canada and the USA and they are as bad as each other. I can get off air TV from Buffalo, Toronto, Hamilton, Erie PA and Kitchener.
I Was real happy last night when with the Canadian win over Russia in mens Hockey. Hope the Canadian team does not take Slovakia lightly tomorrow. Ladies final this evening. Local Gal Becky Keller playing.

Back
Top Bottom