Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Now that you mention that, our 529s for grandchildren are in the Utah program (my state does not offer a program worth investing in). Monitoring those investments - which are in Vanguard funds - is a pain and they take a nibble each month. Would moving them to Vanguard be better?
Since you already would likley be paying state income tax if your state has on on 529 plans switching to Vanguards Nevada based plan seems simple. I have a new born grand niece and intend to put a little into the vanguard total stock market fund for her (min to open at vanguard is 3k)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Their small business advisor told me flat out vanguard does not permit vanguard etfs in their 401k agreements, so if i set up a business plan with them, i have to liquidate etfs to transfer accounts.
I have a self-401K , and yes I only hold vangaurd mutual funds in them, not etf's. However the cost is as cheap or nearly as cheap as etf's so I it doesn't matter to me.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Anyone hold both business and personal accounts at vanguard?

So.... I started moving accounts to vanguard proper, and hitting two problems....

1 - apparently, I am told there is no way I would be able to log in with one account and see the cumulative balance of all accounts for myself and my wife simultaneously.

As folks have said, you can view other people's accounts if they authorize it.

Plus I can see my 401K accounts (regular and roth) in my Vanguard personal account, but it's only for viewing. To do actions I have to log into the business account.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't know about the VG Business accounts, but I have access to both my and DW's accounts through a single login. I had to fill out a form and she had to sign off on it in order to make it happen. Once that was done there has been no problem.
This. We just transferred our accounts to Vanguard this past November. In order to see my wife's accounts, she had to complete some form (a power of atty IIRC), have it witnessed and notarized.

That was kind of a pain, but once it was done and mailed to Vanguard, when I logged on a couple of days later all our accounts were visible.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’m hearing some people say they are able to gain access to the spouse’s accounts through a very simple online form and others needing notarized POA (myself included) and wondering why the difference. For those who were able to do the simple method, were any of your accounts trust accounts?

We each had IRAs and then our trust account, for which we are both trustees.

Just trying to understand the different requirements.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We had 1 joint account, her IRA, her funds account, and my funds account. I am sure that somewhere in their endless list of paper forms there would have been a "paper version" of what we asked the representative to do was available to "do it ourselves", but, it was so much easier to just tell him what we wanted, and he did it. There was a point in the process where he had us identify ourselves by stating out loud our ssn and birthdates. Other than that, no forms, no delay. We were immediately able to verify we had access to each others accounts.
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
I’m hearing some people say they are able to gain access to the spouse’s accounts through a very simple online form and others needing notarized POA (myself included) and wondering why the difference. For those who were able to do the simple method, were any of your accounts trust accounts?

Might be a state to state thing.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not sure of the "why"? All I know is that last night I logged in using DW's login info, authorized my account to look at her info, then logged out of hers, logged into mine and accepted being able to look at hers, logged out and when I logged back in again her accounts (taxable and Roth) showed up on my screen.

Soup to nuts it took about 5 minutes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Not sure of the "why"? All I know is that last night I logged in using DW's login info, authorized my account to look at her info, then logged out of hers, logged into mine and accepted being able to look at hers, logged out and when I logged back in again her accounts (taxable and Roth) showed up on my screen.

Soup to nuts it took about 5 minutes.
Cool. I'm going to try this.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Let me know how it works out... you should be done by now.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It may be that the online process is newer. I set my access up to both DW and DD's accounts a number of years ago., and they required original paper forms. VG has always been a slow adopter of technology.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #32

I completed mine about 3 years ago on-line with my wife's Roth IRA. It is not a trust account, and that may make a difference. We have a joint taxable, 2 Roths, and my IRA with Vanguard. I have access to them all on one screen for buying and selling.