Very soon

huusom

Recycles dryer sheets
I've not been here for sometime now so I just want to let you all that I've finally decided to pull the plug. Told my boss that I'm ready to retire last week. I don't have a fixed date yet but I hope that they just lay me off so I collect a few months of unemployment before I start to draw from my 401K. I'll be 60 in a few months and have about 800K in cash/stocks. My house is paid for and is worth around 650K. I hope this will be enough but even if it's not enough I will still call it quit since I just can't take it anymore.

Congratulations, and I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming retirement. Not being able to take it anymore is a great motivator.

As the old saying goes, retirement happens at the intersection of I've had enough with I have enough. I wish you the best and hope the latter is true...

Welcome back, huusom, and congratulations on your decision. Hope you can set a date soon and start that countdown calendar.

Thank you all for the encouragement. We went to see our Charles Schwab financial consultant yesterday to crunch some number and it looks good. The wife is happy to get a second opinion from a real pro than just my words.

Congratulations! Pray that they will lay you off so that you can draw unemployment for a while and you can hang onto your retirement funds a little longer.

Unemployment requires that you actively seek another job. Why would it be paid to a retiree?

Unemployment requires that you actively seek another job. Why would it be paid to a retiree?

That is the $64K question... It's because he is laid off. He will need the time to decide whether he wants to go back to work. I would collect it too. It's no different than any other benefit, except the employee actually pays for it.

Once you are receiving a pension, or SS, you are officially retired.

There are plenty of people out there that realize after a period of time that they are retired after being laidoff. I fail to see any problem with someone approaching this proactively.

In some cases, unemployment pays more than the pension plan and someone that has been laid off would be better off holding off on retiring and just collect unemployment until their mind has cleared on whether or not to retire.

Sounds like you are more than ready for retirement huusom. Welcome to the world of professional layabouts. If you enjoy it half as much as we do (and I can tell you will), you'll be having a ball!

Finally

Update:

I did not win the Power Ball yesterday but tomorrow is my last work day. I'm feeling great.

Congratulations huusom! Much less hassle than winning the power ball.

Awesome! :dance:

What will you do all day?

Going from an unbearable work situation to retirement sounds like a good decision, congrats!

Congratulations

Best of luck. I am now 6 to 7 months out from leaving the Corporate rat race. That would have me retiring just shy of my 56th birthday. My head is swimming with all the things I want to do and learn as well as the places I want to visit. So much that I am certain I can't possible get to it all but will do as much as I can. Should be a little easier with the extra 50 plus hours I will have each week.
Hope all goes well for you and you are able to make a smooth transition to the next best phase of your life.

As the old saying goes, retirement happens at the intersection of I've had enough with I have enough. I wish you the best and hope the latter is true...

Love that saying. Will definitely keep that in mind. I am currently driving down the road called had enough and according to my GPS am approaching that intersection with the road called have enough. Sure hope it is accurate.

Back
Top Bottom