Veteran's Day

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well, tomorrow (Friday) is Veteran's Day....

From someone who was never in the military I want to thank all of the folks on this board that WERE in the military and have protected our way of life...

THANKS!!!!

Texas Proud said:

From someone who was never in the military I want to thank all of the folks on this board that WERE in the military and have protected our way of life...

THANKS!!!!

Amen and ditto that.

No amount of heartfelt thanks is enough.

Texas Proud said:

THANKS!!!!

Same here.  I have the utmost respect for all of you who served in the armed forces.  Your contributions are immeasurable and frequently inadequately heralded. 

THANK YOU

Absolutely! To all who have served at some time or another --- Thanks from me and all of the other young punks out there who may not appreciate your sacrifice. I usually watch 'Saving Private Ryan' on Veteran's Day...still makes me feel good no matter what is going on in the world.

Thank you, it was an honor.---and thank you to all the others who served and those,  who today,  have the courage to serve.

And where the hell are all you guys when I'm sitting at the bar with an empty Corona  :-\

I want to add my gratitude to all our Veterans. We wouldn't be here without you.

Coronas for all!

Adding my thanks.

If you're ever in Las Vegas, I'll buy you a Corona.

peggy said:
Adding my thanks.

If you're ever in Las Vegas, I'll buy you a Corona.
Dialing Southwest Air right now :D

Thank you to all that have or still is serving this country!! !!

I work with a consultant and she just revealed to me today that her son died this year in Iraq at the age of 24. It was all the I could to do to fight back the tears. :'(
My son, who's the same age, is an Army Ranger. I worry so much for his safety.

Thanks to all of you. Just let me know if you come the San Diego way, and I'll buy you that beer.

cube_rat, I can't imagine how tough that must be right now! Will he be home for the holidays?

Martha and I thank you all, many times over. :)

I also think that all Vets should, when they retire, take on a new motto: Play hard, Snack hard, Nap hard. :D

--Greg & Martha

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
I also think that all Vets should, when they retire, take on a new motto:  Play hard, Snack hard, Nap hard. :D
Thanks, guys, I'm doing my best to live up to that standard!

I also have to extend my thanks to all the veterans as well as the men and women currently out there protecting our freedoms. You have my deepest admiration and respect.

Cj

Laurence said:
cube_rat, I can't imagine how tough that must be right now! Will he be home for the holidays?

We don't know right now. It depends on his current assignment.

Thanks also.

The Marine Corps. birthday is on the 10th. of November, and we have a group of about 25 or so that get together in a local "watering hole",
very informal, an excuse to share of few laughs and hoist a few. (Mostly Korean Era, and Vietnam Era Marines.)

We got a special treat this year. An 87 year old retired Major showed up wearing full dress blues, all his medals, and his sword. (He was justifiably proud of being able to wear his old uniform.)

Only problem is that he was wearing Nike Running Shoes. ;)

We didn't laugh. (He was carrying his sword). ;)

Good time was had by all.

Also thanks, and I would like to especially honor those who have lost loved ones. I think especially of my FIL who recently passed away. He was a naval warrior during WWII in the Pacific. Slowly those aging veterans pass away, fading members of the greatest generation.

p.s. I like Apocalypse..um's motto, and will try to abide by it.

Definately want to add my thanks.

I turned 18 when the draft ended after/during the Vietnam war. I don' know what I would have done if I was drafted. This is a statement similar to a woman saying they were not sure if they would not know if they would have an abortion or not at a period of time in their life (this is not ment as an invintation to talkabout abortion, so please do not comment in this regard, it is intented to say that you do not know what you would do until you are faced with the decision, it is a point in your life that can not be cooly and calmly be addressed until you have to make a decision). It was during a time when being in the armed forces was not "cool".

At my age I know what sacrifice those that enter the armed forces do for us and what they put at risk. Many countries have declined when the lost the WILL to fight.

Veteran's Day today, Marine Corps Birthday yesterday - the boss gave me a half hour off today to show his appreciation!!
These posts surely bring back memories-I've tried to block out the bad ones for years now. Usually my wife (the D.I.) brings me back to my senses with "get with the program A.J."!! I can remember some guard duty assignments that I was in charge of about 12 guys - mostly 6 month wonders about 17 & 18 years old-I was an old man at 19. Most of them shouldn't have been there and I think I got gray overnight trying to keep them alive and keep them from shooting one of our own or one another. One of them had only been married for two weeks before being sent overseas - he was a real basket case cause he hadn't heard from his wife in over two months. If they heard a sound in the night they always called me to check it out for them, and I had to constantly tell them everyday - "if the bullets start flying at you, just "get down" in back of the bunker because they're firing from the village!! If its a rocket or mortar - get "inside" the bunker!!" Got It!! What was really scary was that they all had too many bullets, a couple of M-79's and way too many grenades to make it safe for anyone to go near them. And to compound the problem our normal duty hours were from 6 PM to 6AM. About ten hours of complete darkness with a bunch of loose cannons!! To calm them down I used to open the Armed Forces Radio Channel at about 2:30 A.M. which was transferred to each bunker and tune in to "Chicken Man". He was our hero back then - "The Caped Crusader" - kinda like superman but more like superduck - righter of wrongs- some guy that dressed up like a chicken to go out & fight evil. At least I knew that they all would be awake for 30 minutes while they listened to his adventures. I used to wonder why no officer ever came around to check on us - probably smart move on their part!I am still proud of the fact that when I left them that they were all still alive and none of their names have appeared on "the wall" - I'm not sure if my replacement survived though!! Poor guy!! Its funny now, but it sure wasn't funny back in the day. The Viet Cong & NVA were the least of my worries compared to that group!! By the way, the private finally heard from his wife after 2 1/2 months. A week before the letter came I had to wrestle his rifle away from him- he was going to shoot the mailman! I'm glad that was my last tour instead of the first!! Anyway, enough of that. I do appreciate all the people in the military and those that have served to keep us all safe, regardless of the consequences. Many have sacrificed their lives and their families and will continue to serve us proud wherever they go. My son is in Afghanistan now and we worry about his safety day by day until he returns home to us. Like most of us, he understands the dangers involved and will do his duty when called upon. Semper Fi!

Back
Top Bottom