Veterans Day discounts

See? That's what happens when you've been retired as long as I have. :facepalm:

I'm lucky I know what month we're in! :LOL:

Beginning Veterans Day 2020 all Vets and Gold Star Families will have free access to federal lands from that day forward.
Entrance fees for the National Park Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and standard amenity recreation fees for the Bureau of Land Management and the Bureau of Reclamation sites will be waived for veterans and Gold Star Families. They will have free access to approximately 2,000 public locations spread out across more than 400 million acres of public lands, which host activities to fit any lifestyle, from serene to high octane, including hiking, fishing, paddling, biking, hunting, stargazing and climbing.
This isn't JUST for Veteran's Day, this is for every day thereafter! I was almost ready to buy my lifetime senior pass. Glad I didn't.

Here is the press release;
https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/trump-administration-grants-gold-star-families-and-military-veterans-free-entrance?fbclid=IwAR2tMlFYRwVsBhCWfD_9ZrInj1-piLF75CDjkP66VBhBzRboGkVvLm_Fk9I

Here is the official order;
https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/elips/documents/so-3387-signed-508.pdf

Beginning Veterans Day 2020 all Vets and Gold Star Families will have free access to federal lands from that day forward.

Yes, this was on the list I posted, and it's a truly wonderful thing.

Just one detail:
For free access to the sites, veterans will have to present a Department of Defense Identification Card, a Veteran Health Identification Card, a government-issued Veteran ID Card or a state-issued U.S. driver’s license or identification card confirming an individual’s status as a veteran.

Gold Star family members can use similar Defense Department identification cards to verify their status.

Also, in a rather odd (but welcome) move, all 5th graders and their families will also have free access until next September.

Yes, this was on the list I posted, and it's a truly wonderful thing.

Just one detail:

Also, in a rather odd (but welcome) move, all 5th graders and their families will also have free access until next September.

In California, it was easy to get the VET designation onto my driver license. I also went to the local VA center and with a copy of my DD214 in hand, got a hard plastic wallet card with my photo on it.

I think in past years it was 4th graders that got the free access. I had one grand child take advantage of that when the family went on a US history tour to the East Coast. Very educational and fun for the whole family.

Wonder if Amazon will do the discount on Prime membership as they did last year? I think it was a good amount maybe 20-40 dollars....

Also a lot of these food discounts are dine in only which means not as useful as in the past.

Has anyone found the prime membership discount for vets on Amazon?

I have poked around several places on their site and can't seem to find one.

Maybe last's years discount was a one off.

Wonder if Amazon will do the discount on Prime membership as they did last year? I think it was a good amount maybe 20-40 dollars....

Also a lot of these food discounts are dine in only which means not as useful as in the past.

Not this year...

Last year it was announced on Nov 6.

DH points out that the online Apple Store gives veterans a 10% discount all the time. You have to shop through the veteran portal and verify your veteran status.

I just had my first breakfast at Wendy's. Gahgh, the coffee was terrible and the food not much better. I won't be doing breakfast there again, but at least the price was right.

Back
Top Bottom