Veteran's Day Discounts

I feel conflicted too, but I'll still go for the free food.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Here's a few more discounts. I am headed to Perkin's in the Am, Panera Bread for Lunch and Applebee's for dinner.

I got out in 1982, back when no one wanted to admit they were a veteran. We have come a long way. I just listened to Medal of Honor recipient Clinton (“Clint”) Romesha give his first hand tale to the veterans of our megacorp. It was a very riveting story.
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/05/01/battle-for-cop-keating-afghanistan.html

Restaurants, Stores Offer Veterans Day Deals | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

Last edited:
I got out in 1982, back when no one wanted to admit they were a veteran. We have come a long way.

We certainly have come a long way. When I joined the Navy in 1977, we tried hard never to wear our uniforms due to the negative treatment we could expect when we did. I had people scream and swear at me for no other reason than I was in uniform. And sometimes they threw trash and things at us. Once, memorably, people in Pittsburgh threw beer on us. That will really mess up your dress blues.

I am also conflicted today when I hear the thank you's. It somehow seems too facile. If people really wanted to thank me, they could really and truly take care of my brothers and sisters who have been wounded in body and mind serving this nation.

As a veteran, I will confess to being very conflicted when someone says to me "Thank you for your service."

It still makes me slightly uncomfortable, but I've come to understand. I was one of the many who got the cold shoulder (putting it very mildly) from the public when I returned from Vietnam. I believe it was mainly my counterparts (and largely the Vietnam Veterans of America) who made the effort to change the public perception and get people to support the troops even if they disliked the government's actions.

The motto of the VVA has always been "Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another." That started because of ridiculous things like some VFW posts refusing membership to Korea vets because "it wasn't a war, just a police action," or to Vietnam vets because "it was just a conflict, not a war."

Over time, the public's attitude has turned around completely, and that's certainly a good thing.

The first time I ever experienced it personally was about ten years ago. I was getting into my car outside a hotel in Vermont when some guy walked up to me and said "Welcome home! I noticed your license plate and wanted to thank you for your service."

I was utterly shocked and speechless since it had been over 30 years since those days. But since that time I've received countless similar thanks, and have learned to say "Thanks for your support," or just "You're very welcome." I've also learned to appreciate the thought. Those of us who served did so not to get thanked, but just because it felt like the right thing to do.

Odd the different experiences. Went in the Navy in January '69 and left December '72 and other than WestPac cruises was stationed in hippie-dippy California. Don't recall a single instance of hostility toward me in the states. I too have problems with "thank you for your service" - Gumby's comments hit the nail on the head. I filled a slot and did my job, but some did their jobs and paid dearly for doing them.

The greeter at our local Neighborhood Walmart this morning asked me if I was a veteran. When I said yes he offered me a free donut. That was nice.

I gave it to my wife as I already had my carb limit for the morning.

_B

In June 1969 I returned from Vietnam on a charter flight from Tan So Nuit (?) AFB to Travis AFB.

We were instructed to NOT wear our uniform. Being a combat soldier, I had no civies. I had to go to the PX and purchase a civilian attire suitable for the occasion. Seems like I was advised that after arriving @ Travis AFB (CA) we would cause a ruckus if we then went to SF airport to fly home in uniform. Todays returning troops proudly wear their "war uniform" home all the way.

Wish I could have done that.

In June 1969 I returned from Vietnam on a charter flight from Tan So Nuit (?) AFB to Travis AFB.

We were instructed to NOT wear our uniform. Being a combat soldier, I had no civies. I had to go to the PX and purchase a civilian attire suitable for the occasion. Seems like I was advised that after arriving @ Travis AFB (CA) we would cause a ruckus if we then went to SF airport to fly home in uniform. Todays returning troops proudly wear their "war uniform" home all the way.

+1

In 1972 I lived off base while attending a three month long training course at Castle AFB, California. I was told not to get out of my vehicle wearing my uniform while traveling to and from the base - not even to stop for gas.

Times have certainly changed for the better.

PS: I'm still not Fonda Jane...

Last edited:

That was still the case when I got back in early 72. Landed at Travis, changed to civvies, got on a bus to SFO and then home. They made sure we understood that it was for our own safety.

While flying stateside in uniform during my time in the Air Force (67-71) the stew's would always move me to 1st class. Champagne baby!

I feel conflicted too, but I'll still go for the free food. ..

I am also conflicted today when I hear the thank you's. It somehow seems too facile. If people really wanted to thank me, they could really and truly take care of my brothers and sisters who have been wounded in body and mind serving this nation.

Odd the different experiences. Went in the Navy in January '69 and left December '72 and other than WestPac cruises was stationed in hippie-dippy California. ... I filled a slot and did my job, but some did their jobs and paid dearly for doing them.

I really appreciate the comments from those who served. I'm civilian, and there really is no way to say "Thanks" enough to those who put themselves (or were put into) harm's way in an effort (even if some thought it was misguided), to protect our freedoms.

But, there are veterans and there are veterans, it seems. Some faced very hard circumstances and paid a very high price. But I also know some who served, even during 'the conflict', and had what they described as 'cushy' state-side assignments. I recall a TV documentary, and one of the people they interviewed on a large ship had the job of - restocking the vending machines with snacks. OK, a big ship is like a city, and someone needs to do it. But does that equate with 'glory', or was it just a job? It just seems a little silly to lump all veterans together, or assume that any single veteran is deserving of praise any more than any single civilian. I guess I see it as 'watering down' the praise the heroes deserve, by praising everyone in that category the same?

But I will say a big, heartfelt "Thank You" to all who served and faced danger, or even came close to facing danger. Our freedoms depend on these people, and we should never take that for granted.

-ERD50

I really appreciate the comments from those who served. I'm civilian, and there really is no way to say "Thanks" enough to those who put themselves (or were put into) harm's way in an effort (even if some thought it was misguided), to protect our freedoms.

But, there are veterans and there are veterans, it seems. Some faced very hard circumstances and paid a very high price. But I also know some who served, even during 'the conflict', and had what they described as 'cushy' state-side assignments. I recall a TV documentary, and one of the people they interviewed on a large ship had the job of - restocking the vending machines with snacks. OK, a big ship is like a city, and someone needs to do it. But does that equate with 'glory', or was it just a job? It just seems a little silly to lump all veterans together, or assume that any single veteran is deserving of praise any more than any single civilian. I guess I see it as 'watering down' the praise the heroes deserve, by praising everyone in that category the same?

But I will say a big, heartfelt "Thank You" to all who served and faced danger, or even came close to facing danger. Our freedoms depend on these people, and we should never take that for granted.

-ERD50

I'm on the Kindle, so my reply will be short. The fact that they volunteered (or were drafted) to serve in the military is what matters. Sure than guy stocking the vending machine has a cush job, but that's not to say that he's not going to be tasked tomorrow to start breaking down doors in Afghanistan looking for bad guys....So many operations now are 'joint'. I can't tell you how many AF pilots were tasked to be convoy commanders for the sake of 'joint operations'. If you asked a pilot who graduated pilot training in 2000 if they thought they'd be riding around in a Army truck being shot at, they would have laughed at you...but that's common place now.

In summation...if you sign on the line, you may very well pay the ultimate price. Even the vending machine restocker.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

In summation...if you sign on the line, you may very well pay the ultimate
price. Even the vending machine restocker.

I recall a bit of grumbling while in VN from my troops about the fact that they got $50/month combat pay and the REMFs also got the same. I never saw it that way and told the that I did not want to hear any more griping about who gets what pay. I'm sure that did not shut my guys up, but they never bought it up when I was around any more.

Remember the USS Forrestal? How about the USS Cole? The USS Indianapolis? I bet there were a few cooks or admin types on those ships helping fight fires or fighting for survival. Remember the Marines in Beirut? They were asleep in their dormitory. Anyone in uniform is a target, no matter what type of war or conflict we are in. You don't need to be in an infantry unit on patrol to be at risk. Even in "peacetime" the training we did was dangerous because we always trained for war. I personally knew 15 good Airmen that died just in training. I'm conflicted when people say "thank you for your service" because they often do it because it's the nice thing to do these days. Few understand what our military and their families go through and statements like yours shows that. What kind of documentary that shows a guy just filling vending machines on a ship is trying to represent what our military really does. Yet people buy into that crap. I don't know any veterans who call themselves heroes, because I think we hold that term to a higher standard than the media or the public. But I do believe every veteran deserves respect for volunteering to possibly be put into harms way.

Back
Top Bottom