Join Early Retirement Today

Veterans now allowed to shop at PX Online?
Old 11-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Veterans now allowed to shop at PX Online?

I'm not sure if this is a scam. Anyone that might have experience with this, please chime in. The webpage says that veterans are now allowed to use the BX/PX just like active duty, except it has to done online.

This was in my FB page: https://www.shopmyexchange.com/accou...xoCM4UQAvD_BwE

So, since I'm a veteran, it looks like I'm able to buy goods from the PX online. I filled in the last 4 digits of my SSN and it didn't work. Then the site said I needed to put in my full SSN. No thanks, I'm not chancing that.

If it's solid though, it could be of benefit.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't know about the PX/BX, being retired we get access like brick and mortar store. However, related news to me, Coast Guard Exchange (CGX) allows all homeland security and DOD to shop in the stores. They just opened a new CGX in Centreville, VA.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Elbata, it is legit. I joined online last year and just ordered my grandson something from the exchange online. Here is a link that will allow you to sign up.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans
Old 11-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Elbata, it is legit. I joined online last year and just ordered my grandson something from the exchange online. Here is a link that will allow you to sign up.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans

Yes, it’s legit.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:02 AM   #5

We've stopped in at the PX's when on base for other reasons after retirement. I found them too much like department stores of old (JCP, Sears, Wards, etc), stuck between the big box / club stores and on-line retailers. I suppose a somewhat captive customer base works in their favor. I also noted a large footprint of designer/high end brands. I saw nothing that would warrant a return visit. However, the "Class 6" store is another matter altogether.

I'll take a look on-line and see what's up there...
Old 11-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had to scan and upload my dd214 to get verified. Apparently the system cant handle old time service numbers, mine began as RA1....... Once that was done, I browsed through the store. Found nothing that I needed. But have it bookmarked for future.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Had to scan and upload my dd214 to get verified. Apparently the system cant handle old time service numbers, mine began as RA1....... Once that was done, I browsed through the store. Found nothing that I needed. But have it bookmarked for future.
I've not found the prices on the Exchange to be any better than the sales prices found out in the real world. However, with free shipping and no sales tax the savings on some products can be worthwhile.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've not found the prices on the Exchange to be any better than the sales prices found out in the real world. However, with free shipping and no sales tax the savings on some products can be worthwhile.
That's the key. In my area, the sales tax is pretty close to 10%, so there is real savings on *some* of the items they sell. They have pretty good sales, too...on occasion. The old adage of "Yesterdays Technology at Tomorrow's Prices" isn't too accurate these days, thankfully.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

No veterans here, but I thought veterans have always been allowed to shop at PX. Perhaps this privilege only applies to people who retire with 20 years of service.

The reason for my belief was that I read that Jimmy Carter shopped at PX, and some people made fun of him, saying that he was so frugal. And I saw nothing wrong with being a down-to-earth guy. He was a peanut farmer, and proud of it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
I'm not sure if this is a scam. Anyone that might have experience with this, please chime in. The webpage says that veterans are now allowed to use the BX/PX just like active duty, except it has to done online.

This was in my FB page: https://www.shopmyexchange.com/accou...xoCM4UQAvD_BwE

So, since I'm a veteran, it looks like I'm able to buy goods from the PX online. I filled in the last 4 digits of my SSN and it didn't work. Then the site said I needed to put in my full SSN. No thanks, I'm not chancing that.

If it's solid though, it could be of benefit.
It's the real deal! I was nervous about the signup when I signed up about 2 years ago but it's on the up and up.

No sales tax and no shipping charge if you use their credit card. Otherwise, it's $4.95. Some prices are a good deal. I bought a nice dinette set for a good price with no shipping and no tax. Go for it!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No veterans here, but I thought veterans have always been allowed to shop at PX. Perhaps this privilege only applies to people who retire with 20 years of service.

The reason for my belief was that I read that Jimmy Carter shopped at PX, and some people made fun of him, saying that he was so frugal. And I saw nothing wrong with being a down-to-earth guy. He was a peanut farmer, and proud of it.
Starting January 2020.......

"Starting Jan. 1, all service-connected disabled veterans, Purple Heart recipients, former prisoners of war and primary veteran caregivers will be eligible to shop at commissaries and exchanges, and officials from three federal agencies are preparing the way."

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-be...ping-benefits/
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote