Vick's Deal

Vick is now the 4th highest paid NFL player behind Peyton Manning, Sam Bradford and Tom Brady.

There is only one running QB that has EVER won a super bowl and thats Steve Young who also was a great passer. He used to have the highest career QB rating until recently.

Brees, Roethlisberger, E.Manning, P. Manning, Brady, B. Johnson, Dilfer, Warner, Elway (after he got older and stopped running), Favre, Aikman.....I could go on with the list of Super Bowl winning QBs, but they are all pocket passers. Some move around a lot but they aren't runners. If you follow football you know that no running QB who happens to be able to throw has ever won a Super Bowl.

Vick will never be able to beat a top defense. He doesnt read defenses well enough and isnt an accurate enough passer. He will never win a Super Bowl so assuming that's the goal, his contract is ridiculous.

Brees, Roethlisberger, E.Manning, P. Manning, Brady, B. Johnson, Dilfer, Warner, Elway (after he got older and stopped running), Favre, Aikman.....I could go on with the list of Super Bowl winning QBs, but they are all pocket passers. Some move around a lot but they aren't runners. If you follow football you know that no running QB who happens to be able to throw has ever won a Super Bowl.

Vick will never be able to beat a top defense. He doesnt read defenses well enough and isnt an accurate enough passer. He will never win a Super Bowl so assuming that's the goal, his contract is ridiculous.
The NFL is a different animal than the college game. Defenses are too fast laterally to allow most running QBs to dominate the game as they can in college. Yes, you can be a good "mobile" QB (Young certainly was, and while Vick is not Steve Young, he's still pretty good) BUT you can't dominate strong NFL defenses with your legs.

The NFL is a different animal than the college game. Defenses are too fast laterally to allow most running QBs to dominate the game as they can in college. Yes, you can be a good "mobile" QB (Young certainly was, and while Vick is not Steve Young, he's still pretty good) BUT you can't dominate strong NFL defenses with your legs.

Exactly my point. So how in the world do you make him the 4th highest paid player in the league? The highest paid players should be dominant guys who you need to win a Super Bowl. It would take all my fingers and some toes for me to count the QBs I would rather have on my team.

I wouldn't stop him from earning a living. I just think of animal cruelty in the same way as child molesters- preying on helpless creatures. I think someone who can do that has a stone cold heart. Maybe that's what makes him a good football player. (I'm not a big football fan, sorry)

I don't know much about dog fighting here in VA, but I don't think that's true. Vick's kennel was in the Hampton Roads area at the other end of the state, which is also around where he grew up. I googled and found other busts in Halifax County, Richmond, and South Boston, VA. None are that close to VA Tech.

I went to school down there, and there was definitely both dog and cock fighting going on. I read up on Vick some, and it does sound like he got into it down in Hampton Roads. Guess it's more widespread than I knew.

I wouldn't stop him from earning a living. I just think of animal cruelty in the same way as child molesters- preying on helpless creatures. I think someone who can do that has a stone cold heart. Maybe that's what makes him a good football player. (I'm not a big football fan, sorry)

I've had personal experience with child molesters. The one who impacted my life distanced himself from the harm he caused. Rationalized it all away. I know I'll never be able to look at Vick in a detached manner. Yeah, I know animal abuse is not at the same level as child abuse but I do see a similar mindset - harming the helpless and trying to find a way to excuse the behavior. Or hide behind something good. That's what makes me distrustful of Vick. I've seen this before - trying to attach to a good cause to convince people they're cured or OK.

Last edited:
Heres a list of QBs that were their teams starter the past 2 years and the percentage of games they started. Vick is 22nd out of 24 listed. I'd say tha'ts VERY injury prone and way to injury prone to pay a guy that kind of money. I love watching Vick play. Hes exciting, but in my opinion the Eagles made a huge mistake with that contract and very soon they will wish they hadn't done it.
How "injury prone" is Michael Vick, exactly? - Bleeding Green Nation
Funny thing, here's the last paragraph of that article:

While I agree that Vick is more likely to get injured than a QB with a quick release that never runs and rarely takes shots (like a Peyton Manning), I don't think "injury prone" is quite the correct phrase. I see "injury prone" players as the guys that always seem to find themselves as "questionable" in the injury report, with an assortment of ailments, kind of like our old friend Brian Westbrook. That doesn't really apply to Michael Vick, at least historically so far in his career. It's the season-ending knockout punch that should be of gravest concern, obviously.

But yes, I agree that they overpaid for him, by quite a bit.

What do you know? Vick got a concussion in game #2 and missed the 4th quarter of the game when they needed him desperately. The Eagles had to play a guy making his pro debut at QB. After 2 games hes the 13th highest ranked QB in the league (which is actually high for him). 4th highest paid player in the league? They are nuts. Overpaid and injury prone I say!

What do you know? Vick got a concussion in game #2 and missed the 4th quarter of the game when they needed him desperately. The Eagles had to play a guy making his pro debut at QB. After 2 games hes the 13th highest ranked QB in the league (which is actually high for him). 4th highest paid player in the league? They are nuts. Overpaid and injury prone I say!

The QB ratings are seriously flawed. They don't count rushing yards and that is a big part of Vick's game. Vick is probably the single most dangerous threat on the field. Although he's back there to pass the ball you can never assume he'll pass. You always have to cover him as a runner as well which leaves less people to cover receivers. Yes, he is likely to be injured occasionaly. Most quarterbacks not named Favre or Manning are knocked out of games multiple times per year.

I went to school down there, and there was definitely both dog and cock fighting going on. I read up on Vick some, and it does sound like he got into it down in Hampton Roads. Guess it's more widespread than I knew.

I think it very widespread Harley (like you said). When I lived in Charlottesville, Va. which is much farther west than Isle of Wight County where Vick is from, there were cock fights all the time. One farm actually had a cylindrical cock fighting arena on the property. I know because some med students rented rooms there and we would often "party" there.
I am from the Hampton Rhodes area. Vick AND his brother ...are considered thugs for the most part and were trouble makers from high school forward.
Say their names down here and everyone groans.

While he did his time...I have a problem with the "specialness" with which gifted athletes are treated. Our son, his girlfriend and some other friends were at a party at East Carolina University. One "star" starter for the ECU football team crashed the party and physically attacked this small group...in a stairwell. Our son and girlfriend were O.K. but others were hurt. He was arrested, pulled from the squad for "a few games". Our son had to appear in court and testify.....etc. but lo and behold...the guy was back playing games in no time.
I think what makes some of these guys great athletes is also what makes them a detriment to society. Not all....but some.

The QB ratings are seriously flawed. They don't count rushing yards and that is a big part of Vick's game. Vick is probably the single most dangerous threat on the field. Although he's back there to pass the ball you can never assume he'll pass. You always have to cover him as a runner as well which leaves less people to cover receivers. Yes, he is likely to be injured occasionaly. Most quarterbacks not named Favre or Manning are knocked out of games multiple times per year.

Yes, he gets bonus points for his ability to run like no other QB, but when he leads a team to the Super Bowl, let me know. Thats when he will be worth a similar amount of money to Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Roethlisberger ect. If he cant do that then it doesnt matter how mouch he can run. If youre going to pay him elite money he has to get you deep into the playoffs and be a serious Super Bowl contender year in and year out.

Most quarterbacks not named Favre or Manning are knocked out of games multiple times per year.

Aargh! Don't even mention Peyton Manning. I took him as my number one quarterback pick (round 4) in fantasy football this year, and he's already out, most likely for the season. I'm stuck with Matt Hasselback or Rex Grossman.

Michael Vick, as a running QB, is highly likely to get hurt on occasion. I'm hoping the Eagles management took that into account before paying him all that money. For some reason, known only to them, they think it's worth the risk. If he stays healthy he could very well take them to the Super Bowl this year. They look pretty good in general, although their defense doesn't seem to have gelled the way I thought they would. I don't particulalry like the Eagles anyway, except for when they beat the Redskins or the Cowboys.

It is a free market system and if Vick can get the big bucks and pay back his debt he is doing better than a lot of other supposedly well heeled people. I don't condone his dog fighting but it is a culture he came from. He paid his debt to society and is trying to get his high life back. We are the idiots that make the big salaries possible for these spoiled adults.

We are the idiots that make the big salaries possible for these spoiled adults.

It's true. We, in aggregate, have a great deal of control over the monetary success of movie/tv, music and sports "stars." If you don't like what they are paid, vote with your feet. And let your political representatives know you're against laws and tax code that favors these businesses or reduces competition within and between the categories of entertainment business.

Last edited:
Another game, another injury for Vick. Money well spent...<sarcasm>

Another game, another injury for Vick. Money well spent...<sarcasm>
Gotta say, you called it. Some of it was due to his style, and yesterday's injury looked like bad luck. However, it's no secret that running and taking hits is part of his game, and that will likely result in more injuries. You're right, not a good investment.

Vick makes me sick.

Vick has been doing fairly well so far when you consider he's playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. He wasn't hurt bad and he'll likely be back starting the game next week. It's not like he's the only quarterback that gets injured. The reason he got the chance to start last season was because the starter was injured and had to sit out multiple games. Vick did so well that he became full-time starter. I don't know if there's any quarterback that could do better behind that offensive line. He has a quick release and he can often run from rushes. He's their best chance by far.

Vick has been doing fairly well so far when you consider he's playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. He wasn't hurt bad and he'll likely be back starting the game next week. It's not like he's the only quarterback that gets injured. The reason he got the chance to start last season was because the starter was injured and had to sit out multiple games. Vick did so well that he became full-time starter. I don't know if there's any quarterback that could do better behind that offensive line. He has a quick release and he can often run from rushes. He's their best chance by far.

Ive never doubted that Vick would do "fairly well", but the title of this thread is "Vick's Deal". The dude is the 4th highest player in the NFL. You think the Eagles are looking to pay this much to get a fairly good player? He needs to be putting up Brady / Manning / Rodgers numbers to earn that kind of money. He'll never do that consistently and when he gets hurt he leaves them in the hands of Vince Young or Kafka because they cant afford a capable back up QB since they spent so much money on the starter. The "dream team" is 1-2 because they made a grave error at the QB position.

I don't know about that, there's a certain QB not far from you from California that seems to cause havoc on the field. I thought the Eagles were the "dream team" this year? Oh well, heard that one a bunch, typically from a certain team in Texas that has a head case for a QB and can't score touchdowns..........:LOL::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom