Vintage electronics thread

Gumby

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Today was the acid test for my latest electronic project -- resurrecting a 1936 vintage capacitor analyzer. When I first got it for $15, I found a loose mica capacitor in the wooden case and could not tell from whence it had come, which made me reluctant to do the old "plug it in and see if it works" trick.

I didn't have a schematic, a parts list or a manual when I started. I was also unable to determine the proper values of many of the installed capacitors and resistors because they had no indication on them. So I had to get my old electrical engineering textbooks out of the attic and try to figure it out by inspecting the actual installed wiring and re-designing the circuit myself. My task was complicated by the fact that somebody had apparently tried to repair it before me and had screwed up the wiring in several places.

Eventually, I found a schematic on the internet, but it had no component values. I also found a manual, but no parts list. Eventually, I determined what the component values "should be" and then, by means of some internet search that I could not replicate if I tried, I finally found an old parts list. I was happy to see that the values agreed almost exactly with those that I had sussed out by myself.

Yesterday was my day for disassembly, cleaning, component replacement and undoing the improper wiring. Then I put it away last night so I could sleep on it. After a final inspection today, I fired it up and, miracle of miracles, it works like a champ! I did the triumphant victory dance in the garage.

For those interested in electronics, it really is quite cool. It uses a Wien bridge to measure capacitance, using a "magic eye" tube as a null detector. It also measures leakage with a neon bulb relaxation oscillator. The DC power supply is an ancient 4-pin half-wave rectifier tube. It can also measure resistance using the bridge circuit. I tested all the old paper capacitors I had replaced and found, not surprisingly, that they leak like crazy, so it's a good thing I didn't just turn it on when I first got it.

Today was the acid test for my latest electronic project -- resurrecting a 1936 vintage capacitor analyzer..........

What a great project. My house came with a 1972 era electronic air cleaner which didn't work. It sat for 17 years until I retired, then I, not remembering squat from my electronics engineering classes, replaced each suspect component (diodes, capacitors and resistors). Amazing the dang thing works great. I admire your perseverance.

Gumby, a splendid project, even better that it ends well. No substitute for the satisfaction of making something work.

Remember the magic eye. I [-]dis-assembeld[/-] destroyed the family radio when I was about 9 years old, simply because I wanted to know what made the magic eye work. :ROFLMAO:
Took another ten years before I finally understood it.

Last edited:
Bought Old 1924 Westinghouse radio. Sight unseen complete. Hope nothing important is damaged. Looks good in pictures. I have some work cut out for me.

Attachments

• West_57_Front.jpg
    West_57_Front.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 10
  • West_57_Rear.jpg
    West_57_Rear.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 7
Bought Old 1924 Westinghouse radio. Sight unseen complete. Hope nothing important is damaged. Looks good in pictures. I have some work cut out for me.

Nice box, cool tuning coils, missing A battery, B battery :D, power supply stuff.

Good winter project. I'm guessing all tubes triodes. Never seen one in real life. Is there a patent number on it?

Due to an email gaff the pics above are not the one I bought. Same model. I had to substitute. Will take some in detail when I get my hands on it. Don't know for sure about a patent number but the dates are 1917 to 1924. Tubes are probably UX201A and UX201B. Batteries probably connected to wires via fahnestock clips. Have to build battery eliminator. I have a schematic somewhere but Westinghouse changed parts monthly so it may not be exact. May start a thread for old electronics.
Bruce

Due to an email gaff the pics above are not the one I bought. Same model. I had to substitute. Will take some in detail when I get my hands on it. Don't know for sure about a patent number but the dates are 1917 to 1924. Tubes are probably UX201A and UX201B. Batteries probably connected to wires via fahnestock clips. Have to build battery eliminator. I have a schematic somewhere but Westinghouse changed parts monthly so it may not be exact. May start a thread for old electronics.
Bruce
Nice old radio; I have an old 1936 EH Scott. Lots of info at the following:

Antique Radios - The Collector's Resource

Cool radio. Does it just play old music and newscasts?

A thread for old electronics might be fun. I've been into old radios for a long time; even put myself through computer school in 1969 with them. I used to buy them for a dollar or two from the Salvation Army "as is" store in north Minneapolis then fix them and sell for anywhere from 25 to 50 bucks each. I really wish I had some of them back but all I still have are the Scott and a 60s Zenith Transoceanic.

I started this thread for those of us interested in vintage electronics.

Bruce

The following data may be helpful when you are building the power supply.

Nostalgia Air: Tube Substitution for 01A

My brother, when he moved from the UK to the US, brought with him an old radio. When he tried it out in Sunnyvale, CA, the only station he could receive was the BBC ...

Peter

OH boy....... this is a good thread!

Wish I had more digital pics ready to post. These pics were taken of stuff I'm selling or have sold:

Collins S Line - 75S3-C 32S-3 312b-4 516F-2

Collins 51S-1

Drake C Line - R4-C T4X-C

Drake 2-B

Hallicrafters SX-100

Misc mountain of other "stuff" qualifying me as a guy who needs to thin the collection!

This is primarily ham radio related, not quite as vintage as the example above, but vintage just the same.

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    435.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 3
  • slineright.jpg
    slineright.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 3
very cool. Is it a superheterodyne receiver? I think they were building those by the 1920s and I think it can be done with as few as 5 tubes...

Thanks for this thread everyone! I'm interested in finding a desktop antique radio for my home office. I assume that I'll find one in non-working condition, so these resources will help me bring it back to life.

very cool. Is it a superheterodyne receiver? I think they were building those by the 1920s and I think it can be done with as few as 5 tubes...

No this is a TRF. At least the tuning capacitors are ganged. There are others that you have to tune each individual stage separately.

I bought an old regenerative tombstone last month. It is made by International Radio. I think they are in Michigan. It is going to be a major project. One of the coils needs rewinding, tuning cap is seized Regeneration control is also seized. It may become a display only.

I have a working Westinghouse Batteryless and a working Phonola Superhet and a whole bunch that I should either sell or fix.

Nostalgia Air From Gumby's post is very useful

Nostalgia Air

This one could keep a person busy for days with all the info and links they have.

Antique Radio Websites

Phil's Old Radios - Welcome!

A couple more

OVRA - Gallery

Hammond Museum of Radio Home Page

More Later

1937 Sears Silvertone model 4787

1934 GE model m-56 - works

1965 Williams Lucky Strike with animated backglass - works. No tubes but lots of relays, step motors, and solenoids.

Attachments

• IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1701.jpg
    IMG_1701.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 2
Here are some pics of my EH Scott and Transoceanic

Attachments

• AW23 CGS Amp.jpg
    AW23 CGS Amp.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 2
  • AW23 CGS Inside.jpg
    AW23 CGS Inside.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 2
  • AW23 CGS Front.jpg
    AW23 CGS Front.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Transoceanic.jpg
    Transoceanic.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 2
I worked on some old pinball and bowling machines for a part-time job in the early 80s. Miles and miles of bundled wiring...

One of these days I'm going to build a guitar amp, probably class A. Like to putz. Don't remember enough RF/AC circuitry to tackle old radios and such.

OH boy....... this is a good thread!

Wish I had more digital pics ready to post. These pics were taken of stuff I'm selling or have sold:

Collins S Line - 75S3-C 32S-3 312b-4 516F-2

Collins 51S-1

Drake C Line - R4-C T4X-C

Drake 2-B

Hallicrafters SX-100

Misc mountain of other "stuff" qualifying me as a guy who needs to thin the collection!

This is primarily ham radio related, not quite as vintage as the example above, but vintage just the same.

The Collins' bring back memories. Had one in a cubbyhole on the ship with a Griefkit (Heathkit) 1 KW SSB amp.

While I was tech on a research ship, also ran the ham radio station for scientists passing data back to Lamont observatory in NY, and phone patches for the lonely folks via a schedule with a ham on Long Island NY. The call sign begun with X, can't remember the numbers, it was an experimental setup to allow operations just outside the ham band.

In those days the ship's radio officer (sparky) could only send and receive messages via RCA Morse Code telegrams, for a huge fee. He also kept daily several 2 hr radio watches on HF 2182 for emergencies. No satellite phones then.

I think the maritime services have done away with the Radio Officers. Satellite comms have made things dialup now.

By the way my only vintage gear now is a tube EICO RF sweep generator. It runs good but need about an hour to stabilize so the frequency drift stays within a few Hz. Next is a Marconi SSB AM HF marine transceiver on 2182 , 4125 and a few more rock bound (crystal oven) frequencies.

One of these days I'm going to build a guitar amp, probably class A. Like to putz.

Are any guitar amps Class A? I know tubes are preferred by many for the particular way in which they distort. Class A eliminates the 'cross-over distortion' of switching through zero and handing off the signal from one device to the other, but that distorion is pretty minimal for guitars I would think. A little bias minimizes it.

Unless you are going for maximum clean sound, or just want to do it because you can. Class A will heat a room though! Probably not such a good thing in Texas?

a 1936 vintage capacitor analyzer.

So now you can test capacitors made in 1936?

I tested all the old paper capacitors I had replaced and found, not surprisingly, that they leak like crazy, so it's a good thing I didn't just turn it on when I first got it.

I guess so! ;)

Cool project, a friend had (IIRC) a Heathkit capacitor tester with that 'magic eye'. I don't know why he had it, other than to put a cap on and show people the magic eye - it was pretty cool.

-ERD50

Are any guitar amps Class A? I know tubes are preferred by many for the particular way in which they distort. Class A eliminates the 'cross-over distortion' of switching through zero and handing off the signal from one device to the other, but that distorion is pretty minimal for guitars I would think. A little bias minimizes it.

Unless you are going for maximum clean sound, or just want to do it because you can. Class A will heat a room though! Probably not such a good thing in Texas?

-ERD50

Well, most class A guitar amps are AB, but with only one power tube, it would be class A, no? I studied the implications some years ago, and have since forgotten, but have some old lab books and schematics for if/when I actually decide to do this...

Is the Vox AC-30 really class A?

I built some 2A3 Single Ended Triode amp kits and pre-amps put out by www.bottlehead.com. They sound fantastic, and were fun to do.

Not technically vintage, but certainly in the spirit of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom