Join Early Retirement Today

Vintage Refrigerator
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vintage Refrigerator

Any vintage refrigerator buffs out there? When my folks died, my 20-something kids were adamant we keep this. We think it's from the 50's. We know it is a Hotpoint, Stainless Steel, and self-defrosts (most of the time). It needs a new cord, but replacement cost is prohibitive. In fact, cheaper to buy a new more energy efficient refrigerator.

The only # I can find on it is 125 EN 115, which is the catalog number.

I'm thinking of listing is on eBay and/or Craigslist, but wondered if anyone has any other suggestions.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks very "cool". The groovy thing to do would be to buy a freight-damaged brand new machine and use the innards to replace all the running gear in the old fridge. That's a big project.

As you may know, refrigerators and freezers haven't been made with latches for several decades due to the entrapment hazard they pose. I don't know what/if any liability you'd be assuming by selling a 'fridge that still has them.

Unfortunately, I doubt you'll get much for it. It definitely uses a lot more electricity than a modern unit would use. But, she's a looker!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #3

I have found a site that talks about converting them into kegarators, since they are made of real metal, you can drill holes in them for the tap, etc.

I hadn't really thought about the latches, but that is true. If you get stuck in that thing, it's bad news.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It needs a new cord, but replacement cost is prohibitive.

How expensive is a cord? Heh-heh - I always cut them off of anything I recycle, I have a box of em. EZ to replace.

While newer fridges are more energy eff, the actual cost diff may be slight. My 20-plus YO fridge only uses ~ $9/month, the new one something like $4-$6? Percentage-wise, impressive, but $-wise, no biggie.

And that is with the ice-maker turned off. Those energy labels do not include the ice-maker, and that adds significantly (they use heat to release the cubes) - might even be a negative going form old w/o to a new with.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I would totally make that into the coolest bar fridge/keg storage device ever imagined! I love old refrigerators! And, since you only really have to turn it on when you are entertaining, not too expensive to operate.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #6

Wiring in a new power cord should be cheap and easy.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Two bids have proven otherwise. I don't get the mechanics of it, but apparently these old boxes have the cord originating from the compressor, which must be taken apart. I think both quotes were very high because frankly they didn't want the job.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBay View Post
Two bids have proven otherwise. I don't get the mechanics of it, but apparently these old boxes have the cord originating from the compressor, which must be taken apart. I think both quotes were very high because frankly they didn't want the job.

Cheap and easy yes, but not cheap if you are going to pay someone to do it. If it's really the cord, EZ, but if you're not sure, could be anything.

On a side note, I've monitored my fridges/freezers with a Kill-A-Watt power meter, and I calculated they run ~ 50% duty cycle (which makes sense, has enough capacity for hot weather and extremes, but not too over-designed). And these things run for decades with no real maintenance. That's pretty impressive, considering the cost and what you get. These are basic units, add the doo-dads, and reliability suffers.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
gone traveling

Wow, that must have belonged to a well to do household, as I don't ever recall seeing a stainless steel refrig back in those days and come to think of it IIRC most were not self defrost either.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Edison has a recycling program where they will pick it up for you but I think it has to work. I have a 1938 WestingtonHouse Refrig. It came with the cabin. My dad was able to get it working but eventually it went kaput again. I keep dry pet food in it. I bought an apartment size refrigerator to replace it. Being single with pets I don't need a lot of room.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The NORGE! From Saturday Night Live. Classic.

Watch TV. Watch Movies. | Online | Free | Hulu
Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBay View Post

Any vintage refrigerator buffs out there? When my folks died, my 20-something kids were adamant we keep this. We think it's from the 50's. We know it is a Hotpoint, Stainless Steel, and self-defrosts (most of the time). It needs a new cord, but replacement cost is prohibitive. In fact, cheaper to buy a new more energy efficient refrigerator.

The only # I can find on it is 125 EN 115, which is the catalog number.

I'm thinking of listing is on eBay and/or Craigslist, but wondered if anyone has any other suggestions.
WOW! This is the exact same refrigerator model that was in the house I bought in 1982. There was a matching SS wall oven and SS stove top. What a great looking set. Unfortunately my wife only put up with it for 10 more years but it was working just fine except you had to defrost the old fashion way. The house was built in 1955 and all the cabinetry in the kitchen was custom built around them so I'm guessing that would be the year when the refrigerator was bought.
Wish I still had it to keep beer cold in the garage.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #13

Our neighbors had one like it, but not stainless. It had those same cool handles and I think it was white. I used to babysit for them and remember it well. Very cool!!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Wow, that must have belonged to a well to do household, as I don't ever recall seeing a stainless steel refrig back in those days and come to think of it IIRC most were not self defrost either.
I was thinking the same thing! And it also has TWO exterior doors, instead of one big outside door and then an inner door for the freezer on top, or a single outer door that covered both the refrig and freezer sections.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
Edison has a recycling program where they will pick it up for you but I think it has to work.
Usually that is a pro forma requirement. They have no real interest in whether it works or not, just in meeting their program goal of cutting electricity demand. I bought a new fridge a year ago from a big box store, and the guy told me they would take anything. They will never plug it in to check, as they are on the same side as you are. The fridge is going to become scrap anyway.

Anyway, who is to say that they didn't break it in the haul away?

Ha