Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Also there are some records that have not been put on CD
All the more reason to digitize. Some of those recordings from the 1920s, 30s, and 40s are incredible. The Carter Family recordings for instance... or Fats Waller... the list is long.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Which is why I am considering this solution:

Victoria Retrowriter - Vinyl and/or AUX to CDs (GDI-C2CDRW) [GDI-C2CDRW] - $249.99 :

It would also take care of my Cassette problem also.
It's hard to know what the quality of these recordings would be since I'm not familiar with that particular unit. Generally speaking, the all in one converters I've seen are very cheaply made and in particular, the turntable portion is of very poor quality. Keep in mind that for an LP to sound good, the record has to turn at exactly the right speed, with no wobble, the tonearm has to have high quality bearings with low friction, and the cartridge has to have a high quality stylus.

I've had good results with my office system ( Marantz 27 receiver, Dual 1019 Turntable and Shure M91 ED cartridge) into my computer using software made by a Dutch Company (Polderbits). That equipment sold for approximately
$600 circa 1970 or so...

If that company has a good return policy it might be worth it but if you already have a good stereo system and a turntable its not all that hard to hook up to a computer to do the conversions with what you may already have
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
... but if you already have a good stereo system and a turntable its not all that hard to hook up to a computer to do the conversions with what you may already have
Nah. This is my turntable:

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT-PL50 : Fully-automatic Stereo Turntable System

I have hooked it directly to my computer and recorded the music (Total Recorder) but that's kind of a hassle. I am looking for something a little less time consuming.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #64

Quote:
Nah. This is my turntable:

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT-PL50 : Fully-automatic Stereo Turntable System

I have hooked it directly to my computer and recorded the music (Total Recorder) but that's kind of a hassle. I am looking for something a little less time consuming.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of looking for a TT with USB.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of looking for a TT with USB.
Oh! This TT is not a USB device (although that is a great thought), it plugs directly into the sound card in the computer.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #66

Quote:
Oh! This TT is not a USB device (although that is a great thought), it plugs directly into the sound card in the computer.
I looked at your link and found the AT-LP120-USB that has USB output from the TT. It's a little pricey at $429 but it may be worth it for transferring some old records.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I looked at your link and found the AT-LP120-USB that has USB output from the TT. It's a little pricey at $429 but it may be worth it for transferring some old records.
Oh, wow! Nice catch. I was put off by the price until

Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Record Turntable - AT-LP120-USB - Buy.com

Somewhat in the ball park, I guess.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #68

Great find on the Buy.com price. Thanks.