Join Early Retirement Today

Visiting NYC during a layover
Old 05-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Visiting NYC during a layover

It's been a while since I've been to New York. DW, myself and my parents are going to JFK on the way to Europe. We have approximately a 11 hour layover before our red-eye. We are arriving at JFK on Saturday at 6am and leaving at 5pm. I'd like to take my parents a few sites in Manhattan so what's the easiest way to get there? I figure we would probably screw around till about 1 to allow us enough time to get back to the airport.

It looks like we can take the Airtrain+Subway from JFK to Manhattan? How hard is this to do? Do we have to worry about stoppages? We don't have to worry about carrying out luggage around NYC since it'll be checked to our final destination.

Thanks!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well the Airtran is about $7 each person, each way and the subway will be maybe $2 each.

For the 4 of you the cost of $36 isn't all that much less than a $55-60 cab ride into the city (including tip and tolls). The cab fare is the same for up to 4 people.

You'll save time in a cab and will have more time to explore NYC.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #3

WanderALot,
Go to the AirTrain site, you get on AirTrain without paying but it costs $5 at the Jamiaca Station, but if you put in $7 you get $2 additional on the ticket for the subway.

The AirTrain is great couple of stops and viola, right at the subway. I take E train subway and the great thing is it stops at Lexington and 52nd or 53rd and then at 5th and then at 8th.

Reason I mention that is those last two stops are theater, Rockefeller and Times Sqaure area and it's a great popping up point.

Trouble as MasterBlaster alludes, it takes about 30 or more stops on the way in. Long time but even taxis hit traffic and especially at about 7AM when you will be exiting the airport.

Subway will be crowded. But expect the taxi to cost lots of money due to idling in traffic. $55-60 is min from my experiences.

Seems a toss up. In a taxi as MB says, at least you see NYC.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:25 AM   #4

Cab fare from JFK to the city is fixed at $45. However you have to pay bridge tolls and a tip is expected. That's where the $55-60 comes in. Idle time in traffic is irrelevant for the airport-city trip.

Since the OP's flight is on a Saturday traffic shouldn't be too bad coming into the city. However the OP should allow a little more time going back cause the afternoon traffic will be somewhat worse but not as bad as a weekday by any means.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #5

OldAgePensioner:

Is your avatar a photo of you ??
Old 05-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Take your own salsa.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the help guys. I was even thinking about renting a car for the day, since Hotwire has one for just $35. But I figure that parking is going to be a big problem and/or expensive? Can we just drive it somewhere and do a park-and-ride type thing on the subway?
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't rent a car. Huge liability unless you plan to go out of the city for the day.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote