Join Early Retirement Today

Vivent Home Security
Old 07-03-2015, 01:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vivent Home Security

Anyone ever use them?

Vivint: Home Automation, Home Security and Solar Energy Systems[publisher]&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=[keyword]&utm_campaign=[campaign]&c_ps=s.google_k.vivent_m.e_n.g_po.1t1_ex._d.t&adi d=53350861437&exid=117162&creative=&gclid=CJeTnsW5 vsYCFchlfgodsVYGRg

They are an internet based home security system, that charges $50-70/month, 42 month contract, installs the equipment for a $200 activation fee.

We have a second home for which we should have a system like this.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have no experience with them. But, if the property had cell phone service, I'd much sooner go with a system like this than pay $2100-$2940 for 42 months of coverage. Less than $600 up front, and no more charges forever, unless you want monitoring (personally, I'd rather get the call myself direct). Monitoring is about $15/mo.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

About twice the amount ADT charges. I'm not big on ADT, but these guys seem very expensive.

Edit to add: samclem where can I get monitoring for $15 a month? Any details would be appreciated.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
samclem where can I get monitoring for $15 a month? Any details would be appreciated.
That's what Simplisafe charges. Sorry, the link was supposed to be in my post, I fixed it.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
About twice the amount ADT charges. I'm not big on ADT, but these guys seem very expensive.

Edit to add: samclem where can I get monitoring for $15 a month? Any details would be appreciated.
I use nextalarm, $9/month self monitor, $17/month central station. Internet based. You can reuse your existing equipment or buy their hardware.

http://info.nextalarm.com/
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Since you already have internet, I would get a few IP cameras and monitor it myself
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
That's what Simplisafe charges. Sorry, the link was supposed to be in my post, I fixed it.
I don't have it yet, but the cool thing about Simplisafe is that its Cellular based, so if its to monitor an empty house, you can cancel internet for the time you are away.

They also have a 10% off deal, somewhere on their website, I saw the ad on tv yesterday.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #8

We are looking for a new alarm system, too. Has anyone used Simplisafe?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post

See samclem's #2, #4.
Vivent Home Security
Old 07-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #10

Vivent Home Security

I saw that and I'm wondering if he or anyone else has actually used them. We've only had the hard wired system, but it needs to be replaced. I be
I believe he said he hadn't used them.

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Oh, read and understand the post?
Vivent Home Security
Old 07-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #12

Vivent Home Security

Does Simplesafe just have motion and door alerts, no video?

Vivint markets themselves as "cool tech" providing remote video, a door cam that you can answer the door with from your cell phone, control the temperature, etc.

I read some HORRIBLE reviews of Vivint, mostly saying they do a poor job of service when things don't work perfectly, and that you must cancel service in writing in advance.

Thx for your info and ideas. I'm Still exploring what to do with our two properties.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
We have a Simplisafe system now for 2yrs. No problems. It is very easy to install and configure yourself, and has worked flawlessly. We had one keychain remote wear-out and they replaced it promptly. We purchased a refurb system for a lot less than a "new" one, but it came with the standard warranty, so we saved a bunch of $$$.

They have a user forum on their website; you can browse around and get an idea of what other users are experiencing and tips from their customer service people.

It is cellular based so if you have good Verizon or Tmobile coverage at your location it should work. The components are completely wireless, they offer all the "standard" security sensors except for video (we use Dropcam for that).

Just one point of view.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Does Simplesafe just have motion and door alerts, no video?
According to their web site, it is under development, but that has been the same status for a LONG time. So, there could be quite a wait.

If you want to see the video in near real time, I recall seeing some GSM cameras that do that (they detect movement, then make a video with audio and send it to your cell phone as txt message file). Sorry, I don't have any more info or recommendations, you can probably find these with a Google search, I have no direct experience with them.

If you just want a record of what happened, you could get a cheap "Nanny Cam" type device that is standalone, disguised as a regular object in the house, and takes video and audio when something moves.

If you go to some of the home automation hobbyist sites, there are all kinds of "X10" and newer systems for doing things remotely. I can't figure out why anyone can't just wait to get home to turn on their coffee pot, but people enjoy the thrill of doing things remotely I guess. These are often difficult to setup, prone to problems, and probably not robust enough to serve as a true alarm system.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #15

We won't have Wi-fi/internet active in home while gone.
Doesn't DropCam require an Internet connection?

Can DropCam access wireless, or can it hook on to Simplisafe?

Old 07-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I use nextalarm, $9/month self monitor, $17/month central station. Internet based. You can reuse your existing equipment or buy their hardware.

http://info.nextalarm.com/
+1 I used it too. I used the self monitor. I put together a hardwired GE security system and used nextalarm with connection through the internet. It was solid as a rock. Never had a problem.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Can DropCam access wireless, or can it hook on to Simplisafe?
No, I don't think you'd be able to figure out how to make it send through the Simplisafe cell phone setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

If you want to see the video in near real time, I recall seeing some GSM cameras that do that (they detect movement, then make a video with audio and send it to your cell phone as txt message file). Sorry, I don't have any more info or recommendations, you can probably find these with a Google search, I have no direct experience with them.
Okay, so here is the type of GSM camera I'm talking about. It's about $500, and I think you can probably find them quite a bit cheaper.
GSM CDMA Cameras "Cell-Eye-Remote"tm Wireless Cellular (Quad GSM) Solar CCTV Security Camera & Alarm & Remote Interface Controls [Eye-02] SnapShot 1-5 Megapixel
It's not very different from the trail/game cameras that are sold at sporting goods stores, those might be a cheaper option.

You'd have to make sure that you have GSM cell phone coverage at your vacation house. Then buy something like this camera and also get a GSM SIM card from one of the providers who sell them just for this purpose. It won't cost you very much at all for the ongoing GSM service (less than $10/year, approx), unless the camera is going off all the time and trying to send tons of data.

It will surely require some trial and error. The camera could be entirely independent of any alarm system--it sends you a video with audio when the motion detector hooked directly to the camera goes off. The alarm system would be a backup and could provide coverage of all entrances as well as motion detection of large areas, with an alarm siren to hopefully get the perps on their way (or at least gives them a headache and lets them know they don't have all day to loot the place).