Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All these stories makes me realize so many places don’t value their volunteers. When my friends’ 19 years old daughter needed a liver transplant the wait on the West coast was 7 years and she didn’t have that long. Despite having 2 insurances the medical bills were huge. Plus traveling and having to wait in Indiana for the liver which meant a small apartment. Over the course of a year I threw 4 fundraisers despite still working full time. For one I made enough spaghetti for 100 people. I got the venue to donate the space because they made money off the drinks. That was the most rewarding experience I had. What was surprising is that if you fell behind in your medical bills they wouldn’t do the transplant because you couldn’t afford it. The mom wasn’t allowed to borrow from our deferred compensation so had some big CC bills.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

It was really interesting to read other responses after OP's.

As soon as my CASA case resolves- June 4th is trial- I'm resigning from volunteering. It costs me $, a lot of time, and was stressful pretty often. Not for me anymore.

I might get talked into "pitching in" on a thing or two, but I'll never do anything that I'm not inclined to like doing.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do volunteer work at a senior center, but basically do work for the activities I attend like set up and take down chairs for a group exercise class or dance with the new people just learning in dance classes. I might help another set up for other activities, if directly asked, or help clean up after a party, but no longer feel I have to if I was not part of that activity.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Spin, being a former social worker I assumed Casa would be work.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've seen the organizations that seek volunteers. There aren't many listings for something on the level of the American Heart Foundation or something in a government office. High profile charities seek the lowest risk volunteers (that's my interpretation), especially for the better jobs, meaning students, recent college grads, or retired folks. With government agencies it's similar, though I've seen them be more open in limited cases. I believe they treat volunteers better than some of the barely known organizations would.

Habitat for Humanity is well known but they're a religious organization which doesn't have as strict a reporting requirement as other non profits, and their cause is building homes, as if an apartment dweller is a charity case. I've lived in apartments my whole life and it would be a little awkward for me to build someone else a house. I'd rather just fix up my apartment.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I won’t volunteer for anything that requires me to spend money.
I won't volunteer for anything that requires me to RAISE money. I hate fund-raising even though I know it's necessary.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

After I did those 4 fundraisers a organization asked me could I acquire items for a silent auction because the person that normally did it quit. I went around town asking starting with places I do business. Since it was for a autistic/disabled kids choir that performs around town I got lots of donations.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #88

Once the volunteer gig feels like a job I say good bye.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
I've had that happen at several local festivals. Most started as a fun neighborhood festival, then grew into massive city-wide event, but there wasn't much thanks given to the volunteers.

Luckily the oldest/longest ran festival treats their volunteers very well (a.k.a. they get paid in food and drinks).
Old 05-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #90

We volunteer through church as well as helping out friends and family. We mentor college-age and twenty something young adults. We have some "official" capacity through church, but for the most part we just hang out occasionally with the young adults we know through church. We make it a point to reach out to a few people, go out to lunch or coffee, or better yet invite them over for a home cooked meal.

We occasionally help out neighbors and family with house and computer stuff. I also "consult" for a friends who is planning early-ish retirement. We meet weekly to talk about nothing and occasionally track his progress and do a bit of planning. Some of these gigs get paid in good coffee and even better booze.

We enjoy most w*rking with folks one-on-one and getting to know them. As for the rest, we just send $$. We stay away from formal responsibility involving "management", meeting, titles, and name badges (yep, they tried). If there is food involved though, we'll be there!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to be active on Habitat for Humanity, but finally left because it seemed that many were much more interested in their public recognition than in the work we did. Too many large egos. I still volunteer quite a bit, but look for ones run by low profile leaders.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #92

I have been involved in several organizations that rely upon volunteers for the work for many years. Each time I've been asked after being involved for awhile to be the secretary or chair/president. I've learned that Pareto rules: 20% of the people do 80% of the work. If you keep that in mind, your expectations will be properly moderated.

I have learned to be very specific about what I can/cannot do. I will not over commit myself for free. However, if I agree to do something, I make sure I do it and/or stay for the amount of time asked, in other words, I am dependable when I say I'm going to do something.

I have also shunned being part of the leadership of these organizations as I can see that it is a thankless job most of the time.

As for somebody volunteering me - hahahaha - I would probably on purpose not show up. I control my time, not anyone else.

The OP handled the situation well - almost too nicely in my estimation.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #93

I volunteered for a few years at a church I regularly attended, setting up the book department by myself for the twice a year rummage sale, one of the biggest and well known in the area. (The man who had been doing it, was becoming unable to handle it anymore.) There were always hundreds of books to be sorted and put out. It took 2 to 3 days, doing it by myself. (I couldn't work as many hours as the retired people, because I still had kids in school. I had to leave earlier to be home before they got home from school.) When I'd finish, I'd wander around to the other areas and help them finish up. Usually, I was the only one who did this. If one of the other ladies finished up their area ahead of time, they'd just go home, even though others might still not be finished.

One year, someone got the not-so-bright idea of cancelling the spring rummage sale. Donations, however, were still accepted. When it was time to set up for the fall rummage sale, there was literally twice as many books as usual to set up. I was told at the start to get help from someone, because I was going to need it. In short, when I tried to get help, no one would. And as they'd wander by my area, their jaws would drop at the amount of books I had to deal with. Yet, there were still ladies who went home early when they got done with their areas. The next year they had to find someone else to set up the book department.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

G, well that’s awful. I always help others if I am done and they are not if I am volunteering. My husband volunteered me which wasn’t cool but I have done that to him many times so I need to stop. I have volunteered him to help friends without asking and I intend to stop. The festival is today so should be interesting.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
My new mantra... I couldn't possibly have said it better!
Old 05-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Originally my husband said working the front gate was telling people where to park and counting people. On Thursday I go to front gate training and they have you download a app and show you how to process CC payments on your phone, bill for tickets, parking, etc. I was not happy because it’s 5 hours standing in one spot and I have trouble seeing my phone outside. 2 nights before I had trouble sleeping. Then I get a email saying that they need me at volunteer check in and lost and found. This is perfect as I am inside and can sit. It’s cold and windy and with my back problem it’s painful to stand in one spot. So this job is perfect for me. I would do this again if they need me. I will just be specific.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I am on the Board of Directors and volunteer for a nonprofit with a mission I love and believe in. Last year the nonprofit had a funding shortage and was going to have to possibly eliminate an important program. I volunteered to raise funds to keep the program going and developed a sponsorship fundraiser program that raised $30,000 to keep the program going. The fundraising took me 6 months and was a lot of work but was very successful. I do not mind asking people for money for a cause I really believe in. A problem developed about halfway through the fund raising when a new Executive Director was hired. The new ED started bossing me around, would not return my calls or emails and treated me as an employee --a bad employee at that. After the season was over I told the Board I would not run the fund raising program again. The new ED is trying to run the fund raising program now but with very limited results. She has asked me to help again but so far have said no. I really believe in the cause but I just cannot work with this Executive Director so probably the program will have to be eliminated. I feel bad about it but at age 67 life is just too short for me to volunteer and have to work under someone who mistreats me. Oh well, thanks for letting me rant.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Harley , wow you were so successfully! It’s a shame that the ED didn’t value you. Don’t blame you for quitting.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I am on the Board of Directors and volunteer for a nonprofit with a mission I love and believe in. Last year the nonprofit had a funding shortage and was going to have to possibly eliminate an important program. I volunteered to raise funds to keep the program going and developed a sponsorship fundraiser program that raised $30,000 to keep the program going. The fundraising took me 6 months and was a lot of work but was very successful. I do not mind asking people for money for a cause I really believe in. A problem developed about halfway through the fund raising when a new Executive Director was hired. The new ED started bossing me around, would not return my calls or emails and treated me as an employee --a bad employee at that. After the season was over I told the Board I would not run the fund raising program again. The new ED is trying to run the fund raising program now but with very limited results. She has asked me to help again but so far have said no. I really believe in the cause but I just cannot work with this Executive Director so probably the program will have to be eliminated. I feel bad about it but at age 67 life is just too short for me to volunteer and have to work under someone who mistreats me. Oh well, thanks for letting me rant.
There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Souschef, thank you for saying that, you are so right. I wish I lived closer to you, would love to meet you.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote