VPN and Football season

wyecrabber1

Recycles dryer sheets
Earlier this year DW and I moved from Maryland to Florida. We would very much like to watch the Raven's football games. We have Comcast here in Florida and Comcast at a rental at the beach in Maryland. Trying to stream the Raven's games from the Comcast provider at the beach, I get the message only available when connected to in-home network. Direct TV is not an option.

If I set-up a vpn connection at the home in Florida and select a server outside the US -- is it possible to have a NFL Game Day Account and stream the game via the vpn connection.

Thanks!!!

I'll have the same issue with Patriots games once I get to Florida. I think that I might try to VPN a New England area server and subscribe to CBS All-Access and try to view it live on the local CBS affiliate.

I thought Hulu Live was going to offer me a Fox affiliate for the Pack. They have one in Madison WI. But it was not available here. I did not realize their affiliate selection was limited by market. So, I am also looking for a solution.

My only good news is I am in the trial period.

How about becoming a fan of your local team in FL?

I have to say, one of the things I disliked about living in FL was all the transplants shoving their team in your face. Heck, same thing happens here in NC.

My nephew does the VPN thing watching Chicago Blackhawks from Pa. If you use the Xfinity app and a VPN, you should be able to watch the Ravens feed in Florida.

My nephew does the VPN thing watching Chicago Blackhawks from Pa. If you use the Xfinity app and a VPN, you should be able to watch the Ravens feed in Florida.
I think that works as long as you are watching on a laptop, tablet or mobile device. You can then do a video cable from the mobile device to your television

In my experience, Xfinity Stream only works on a streaming device like Fire TV stick on your home network.

They don't make it easy.

I think that works as long as you are watching on a laptop, tablet or mobile device. You can then do a video cable from the mobile device to your television

In my experience, Xfinity Stream only works on a streaming device like Fire TV stick on your home network.

They don't make it easy.

I think you're right. I haven't tested my xfinity app / fire stick outside of my network.

My nephew is an it guy. He's watching Chicago sports from Pa through his vpn. I don't know specifically how he does it.

I only know about this because i was trying to use the Xfinity that we pay for as part of our HOA fees in Florida for our tv service in Vermont... I could use Xfinity Stream on my tablet but not on my FireStick. I even tried casting the tablet screen to my HDTV and that wouldn't work, but I think a cable would.

Then in researching it I found something about the Xfinity Stream with streaming devices only working if the streaming device is connected to your home network, so you can use Xfinity Stream with your streaming device instead of a cable box. Unfortunately for us though, no Xfinity Stream app for the FireStick, just for Roku IIRC.

I got on with HuluLive. I was on their support line for about an hour. this morning. The key was putting in the zip code where your home team is typically on TV, not your current home zip code.

I am guessing there might be problems with blackouts, if that is still a problem. I have not lived in Packerland for a while so I don't know if it is still a problem.

Getting back to the Pack now. Good luck to your team.

Last edited:
I'll have the same issue with Patriots games once I get to Florida. I think that I might try to VPN a New England area server and subscribe to CBS All-Access and try to view it live on the local CBS affiliate.

This is what we do, VPN on MA server. We also subscribe to you-tube tv. We also have an antenna for local news when we want to see what's going on where we live.

So you're saying that you can stream the game from your home, but not the beach rental? I set up a VPN on my ASUS router, and I use OpenVPN to connect to it for free when I'm away from home for security reasons. Basically, I am my own VPN provider. If your home router can do the same, you will in effect be connecting from your home network when you connect to your VPN from anywhere in the world...including your beach rental, of course.

How about becoming a fan of your local team in FL?

I have to say, one of the things I disliked about living in FL was all the transplants shoving their team in your face. Heck, same thing happens here in NC.

Guilty as charged. I'm a displaced Detroit Red Wings fan living in the Phoenix area and have worn my winged wheel jersey to Phoenix Coyote home games. Along with about 9,000 other displaced Red Wings fans. :LOL: It must be disheartening for Coyotes fans listening to us do the "Go Wings" chant during the game.

Having said that, the Wings have sucked big time over the past few years so the joke is really on me! ;)

The content providers seem to be getting better at detecting VPNs. I've had more trouble in the past year getting access to the games I like to watch with the VPN. For today, I set up a separate browser with all cache and cookies deleted, checked with the NFL coverage map to choose the VPN router, put in my content provider access, and and still had issues. Eventually, after multiple repetitions of various button clicking, it worked today.

VPN & Football Success

This was my thought process;

I think this might be the easiest way. I only have a cable box at the beach condo -- I'm going to upgrade to a DVR/cable box. I'll record the game at want to watch [@ 1:00] and remotely stream the recording a few minutes later. Comcast requires you to be connected to a in home network. I'm back at the beach in a few weeks and we'll see how this goes.

My second option was to try and use CBS all access -- I choose a server location near Washington DC and was able to access the local stations. I reviewed the guide for Sunday @ 1:00 and the game I wanted was there. As a previous poster mentioned, some providers are detecting the use a vpn -- I got this message repeatedly when using prime or CBS all access -- and was denied access, bummer.

We have Comcast in Florida and I was able to configure a VPN connections using Express VPN. My smart TV could not find a NFL Game Pass app. I used a Amazon Firestick. Added the VPN app and connected to a server in Europe. I then used the browser on the firestick and went to nflgamepass.com -- and purchased an international plan.

Using the firestick was a little cumbersome at first, but it worked like a charm and I have the Red Zone as well.

As for supporting local teams, that not a problem -- but, I was a Baltimore Colts fan, and now a Raven's fan since the 60's. Jacksonville got a win today.

How about becoming a fan of your local team in FL? ...

Done. The Patriots have been my team for decades and once we started wintering in Sarasota the Bucs became my NFC team. Never in my wildest dreams did I envision Tom Brady leaving the Patriots and ending up with the Bucs.... I can't even say stranger things happen to that one.

If you're using a VPN, I'm pretty sure you're violating somebody's terms of service.

The state of NFL streaming and most sports streaming in general really sucks for...everyone. Every time I try to look into it, looking for a legitimate stream, I see "watch online here!" from NFL or ESPN or whatever. Ok, I go there, then they say "enter your service provider info." Dammit! I'm looking for streaming because I'm a cord-cutter!

I'm planning to move mid-season to another state. As far as I can tell, the only legitimate option available to me is to pay for DirecTV plus Sunday Ticket. I think I can stream without setting up the receiver, or at least set it up once but not need it set up when I stream. But that's pretty damn expensive, especially if I have to buy a mobile dish.

As far as VPNs, again I'm reasonably certain that's not 'legit', and there is certainly an ongoing arms race between the jerks who want us all to buy cable or satellite and those willing to work around the system. I wouldn't assume if you got something working via VPN that it would continue to work indefinitely.

You could put Slingbox at your home location. That’s how we get television at our mountain house.

With a one-time purchase of the Slingbox hardware, you connect the Slingbox to your home cable box and internet. At the other end you catch the feed (for example with the Slingbox app on Firestick).

You are in effect setting up your own stream and watching the programming from your home cable box.

You could put Slingbox at your home location. That’s how we get television at our mountain house.

With a one-time purchase of the Slingbox hardware, you connect the Slingbox to your home cable box and internet. At the other end you catch the feed (for example with the Slingbox app on Firestick).

You are in effect setting up your own stream and watching the programming from your home cable box.

DishTV does the same thing. If you have a DishTV with a DVR at another location and keep it on while you're not there, you can use Dish Anywhere to view recorded shows on your DVR. When we had Dish we used this approach to watch NE Patriots games when in Florida. It works really well and is 100% legit.

One step down is to use a friend or relative's Dish credentials to watch it using Dish Anywhere off of their DVR and we've done that before when we didn't care to pay $55/month for 8 hours of tv.

DishTV does the same thing. If you have a DishTV with a DVR at another location and keep it on while you're not there, you can use Dish Anywhere to view recorded shows on your DVR. When we had Dish we used this approach to watch NE Patriots games when in Florida. It works really well and is 100% legit.

One step down is to use a friend or relative's Dish credentials to watch it using Dish Anywhere off of their DVR and we've done that before when we didn't care to pay $55/month for 8 hours of tv.

Might be a slight difference. The Slingbox does not record anything, you are watching your home cable box live from a remote location.

Might be a slight difference. The Slingbox does not record anything, you are watching your home cable box live from a remote location.

I made my post DVR focused because that was how we used it, I think you can do the same thing with Dish Anywhere.. IOW you can watch live TV, pause or revee of FF live TV and view and schedule DVR recordings remotely... IOW the same functionality as if you were at home.

I made my post DVR focused because that was how we used it, I think you can do the same thing with Dish Anywhere.. IOW you can watch live TV, pause or revee of FF live TV and view and schedule DVR recordings remotely... IOW the same functionality as if you were at home.

I use Dish Anywhere in my home office instead of having a 'joey', which is the distributed link device from the 'hopper' for remote TVs.
The bad: It is a fairly kludy interface IMO and reminds me of a late 1990's GUI. It's a little slow also. And the DVR portion is difficult to use IMO. It only works with certain browsers. I had intended to use the Dish Anywhere in all the other TV's, but DW just hates the interface, so we had to get a joey for the bedroom TV.
The good: If you are in a remote site away from your house, it's good enough to use. And it's free and the joey's are $10 a month, and for myself, the kludgy-ness of the interface doesn't amount to $10/mo of difficulty for me. Also, I run it on a 27" monitor with an NVIDIA graphics card and have a sound bar, so it looks and sounds good. I use that monitor only for streaming, and have NBC, CNN, ESPN, Netflix, etc all accessible on that monitor for viewing so I don't actually have to use the Dish Anywhere very much. As others mentioned, the media providers check to see if you have cable or satellite, so that's why I can stream directly from, for instance, the NBC Sports site. It's a better picture than comes over the Joey in some cases.

Back
Top Bottom