Join Early Retirement Today

Waffling - Do I stay or do I go?
Old 11-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Waffling - Do I stay or do I go?

Tentative earliest RE day is 6/30/16. Some days I like my job so much that I think I'll stay longer. Other days I can hardly wait to get out.
Just wanted to share this because I suspect many of us go through the same thing. Any tricks you want to share to make this time more tolerable?
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, just go.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You're asking that question here Just go!!!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImThinkin2019 View Post
Tentative earliest RE day is 6/30/16. Some days I like my job so much that I think I'll stay longer. Other days I can hardly wait to get out.
Just wanted to share this because I suspect many of us go through the same thing. Any tricks you want to share to make this time more tolerable?
I am thinking you should not go until you feel more sure. I have a trick that might help you to feel more sure. The trick is to start a list of things you would rather be doing than working, like hobbies or interests.

I had a long list of things like growing roses, learning Spanish, getting an MBA, taking up piano again, going to the gym regularly, and so on. Having this list, I knew that there was no way I would feel bored or "at sea" in retirement.

Since I retired in 2009, I haven't done anything on the list other than go to the gym regularly. I did download a free Spanish app to my iPhone, but didn't really work at it. Still, it was nice to know there are lots of things I am interested in that I could pursue, should I get bored.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Some days I like my job so much that I think I'll stay longer. Other days I can hardly wait to get out.
Which type of day is more common?

How do you usually feel on Sunday evening?

Are you anxious to get back to it after a vacation or would another few days be nice?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

Before I fixed my date, I merely had a range. That range did get earlier, ultimately to "no later than 9/30/13," and some time after 2/1/13. I called it quits 2/28.
You wrote that your earliest date is 6/30. At least for starters, why not do as I did, and pick a no-later-than date. At least then you have a window where you know you'll leave. That, in and of itself, may make the waiting easier.
Now, whether you should leave before 6/30, that's a whole other question
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We all have a vested interest in believing we've made the right call so there may be just a hint of confirmation bias in the answers given.
Nope, I say stay working, someone has to fund SS for us slackers.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #8

I'm thinking 2019.

But maybe that's just me.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
.... Any tricks you want to share to make this time more tolerable?
I found that a broken kneecap made me enjoy sitting at my desk and working more than being at home and trying to get around. Could try that I suppose.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:

I keep reminding myself why I should just go - the good things I can do in ER, and the bad things about the job.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have a trick that might help you to feel more sure. The trick is to start a list of things you would rather be doing than working, like hobbies or interests.
Using this logic, my list is about 25 to 1 in favor of not working
......come on 6/1/16

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Time working is not time you can get back to do what you want to do. Go.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The trick that worked for me was playing at my hobbies more as retirement got closer. You'll know that the correct decision is to retire when you spend time doing things that you enjoy more than your job.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Which type of day is more common?

How do you usually feel on Sunday evening?

Are you anxious to get back to it after a vacation or would another few days be nice?
Thank you for this. My days are about 50% good and 50% bored to tears. Sunday night I don't dread going to work. After a vacation I'm OK but not anxious going back. So my conclusion is mebbe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Before I fixed my date, I merely had a range. That range did get earlier, ultimately to "no later than 9/30/13," and some time after 2/1/13. I called it quits 2/28.
You wrote that your earliest date is 6/30. At least for starters, why not do as I did, and pick a no-later-than date. At least then you have a window where you know you'll leave. That, in and of itself, may make the waiting easier.
Now, whether you should leave before 6/30, that's a whole other question
Thank you I like the "not to exceed" idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Nope, I say stay working, someone has to fund SS for us slackers.
Gave me a chuckle. I want to join the ranks of the slackers. Paid my dues already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I'm thinking 2019.

But maybe that's just me.
Yep, we started thinkin 2019 but had the benefit of extreme saving and some nice market growth. Now I am wondering what to do with my name if we go earlier than 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
I found that a broken kneecap made me enjoy sitting at my desk and working more than being at home and trying to get around. Could try that I suppose.
Like the suggestion but not going to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
You're asking that question here Just go!!!
Spoken like a "just the facts jack" person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am thinking you should not go until you feel more sure. I have a trick that might help you to feel more sure. The trick is to start a list of things you would rather be doing than working, like hobbies or interests.

I had a long list of things like growing roses, learning Spanish, getting an MBA, taking up piano again, going to the gym regularly, and so on. Having this list, I knew that there was no way I would feel bored or "at sea" in retirement.

Since I retired in 2009, I haven't done anything on the list other than go to the gym regularly. I did download a free Spanish app to my iPhone, but didn't really work at it. Still, it was nice to know there are lots of things I am interested in that I could pursue, should I get bored.
This is also a good idea. I have a mental list but will write it down.
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

Any tricks you want to share to make this time more tolerable?
No tricks. You are 7 months away from R-Day. Keep thinking about it and you will loose sleep. Make a decision and you can sleep.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote