Join Early Retirement Today

Waiting on Godot...and Isaac
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Waiting on Godot...and Isaac

Well, here we go again.

As of 8 am today, most models of Isaac aim him straight into New Orleans and then directly over our place.

We've got the genrator serviced, all the vehicles gassed up (our local gas station had already run out of gasoline by 5pm yesterday), and all patio projectiles put away, so it's just a matter of sitting and waiting to see what happens (or doesn't, if we're lucky).

Despite some eerie coincidences with Katrina (path, coming on the 7 year anniversary, etc.), I'm not as concerned as I was in 2005 - largely because we moved further north of I-12 and are no longer at a 12 foot elevation two blocks from water, helped by the apparent lack of significant intensification.

Now our major concern are trees...... they have a habit of coming down in unfortunate places.

Keep your fingers crossed for us.....
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fingers and toes crossed....
Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks - I'm hoping this will be a non-event, but right now I'm feeling like there's a target on the New Orleans area.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hopefully it will not be as bad, Katrina was a much more powerful storm. It was still flooding , blowing down trees and knocking out power up here along I-20 when it came through.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Our last 2 hurricanes knocked out power for a week. Not looking forward to that. But I have a jar of peanut butter and a box of crackers. Also stocked up on med's. So as prepared as can be.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

But the med won't be cold...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Three and a half weeks w/out power following Katrina was a wake-up call.
The new house has a "whole house generator" which (despite it's name) doesn't power the whole house, but does run the water well, fridge, freezer, lights and the ac in the bedroom.

I stocked up on bourbon, DW stocked up on wine, and at the very least we'll have eggs from DW's feathered flock, so we can make omelets.

So I guess it's just a matter of hunkering down.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Good Luck with Issac . It was a non event here in Sarasota so I hope you get a mild storm .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But the med won't be cold...
I'll force it down somehow.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Moemg - as my childhood neighbor used to say- "From your lips to God's ears"
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #11

I was in Yellowstone during Katrina, had my whole portfolio on automatic stop losses, because I was in the back country. Everything got sold, and WR2 had nothing to do with it.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #12

Your all in our thoguths and prayers. Hopefully it won't hit anyone too hard.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

As an update - decided to bug out. Implementing lessons learned in Saudi - if you feel at all uncomfortable, get out of Dodge. (Could have avoided an entire war if I'd learned that earlier).
The eye is still projected to go right over our house, but at a tropical storm level (if you are interested in where the house is, look at the most updated tracking map, and the "2am Wednesday" mark should read "EllisWyatt's house")
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Administrator

Get out of dodge makes sense. Hurricane Wilma passed directly overhead in '05 and tore the shutters off the side of the house. People were so fed up with hurricane scares they took that one lightly and many suffered as a result. Much better safe.

All you in the path, take good care
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry you (and others) had to leave your home. I know it's not an easy decision. But...I'm sure it's the best decision.

Good luck....hope you can go home soon.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

well, good thing we evacuated.....

Just heard that a major dam upstream of our place in Mississippi has either breached or - latest reports - is in imminemt danger of beaching. Regardless, there's a mandatory evacuation of our area. Expect that our house should be high and dry, but it may be a bit of a challenge to get there. Sigh.

We'll head back first light on Friday to check it out. Getting reports from friends and neighbors. The town nearest our old neighborhood is under 6' of water, and one of our old neighbors (from the old neighborhood - actaully the neighbors are fairly young) had a tree come down and cut their house in two. Fortunately no one was hurt.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
well, good thing we evacuated.....

Just heard that a major dam upstream of our place in Mississippi has either breached or - latest reports - is in imminemt danger of beaching. Regardless, there's a mandatory evacuation of our area. Expect that our house should be high and dry, but it may be a bit of a challenge to get there. Sigh.

We'll head back first light on Friday to check it out. Getting reports from friends and neighbors. The town nearest our old neighborhood is under 6' of water, and one of our old neighbors (from the old neighborhood - actaully the neighbors are fairly young) had a tree come down and cut their house in two. Fortunately no one was hurt.
Wow, I think I read that Macomb had 11 inches of rain, too. Maybe you might want to wait for a while until that mandatory evacuation is lifted. Don't want to be washed away, now, right?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Good News!!!

1) The dam still has NOT breached and
2) A controlled release of water has begun which is designed to limit/possibly eliminate the potential for serious downstream flooding.

Mandatory evac is still in effect, but the outlook has significantly improved over just a couple of hours ago.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
Good News!!!

1) The dam still has NOT breached and
2) A controlled release of water has begun which is designed to limit/possibly eliminate the potential for serious downstream flooding.

Mandatory evac is still in effect, but the outlook has significantly improved over just a couple of hours ago.
Great news!!! So glad to hear it, EllisWyatt. I really hope they can get it done fast and that it works.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #20

That dam is at lake tangipahoa in percy quin state park, west of McComb. It's about 20 miles away from kentwood, that seems a little far away to be evacuating kentwood, LA.

They are doing a controlled release according to this

Isaac: Louisiana And Mississippi Order Evacuations Over Dam Failure Concerns : The Two-Way : NPR

And the evacuation is along the river area from MS to LA
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote